UKFF FPL 2020-21

Fog Dude

The results went up in the initial post on Sunday night, then it took a while to calculate the table after that. This is your chance to let me know if I made any errors before the very final, final update of the season in a few days. As far as I can tell, it was worth adding all those extra matches to the last card because more participants shifted position on the final weekend than didn't. Shy Dad recovers to a mid-table spot despite the disappointment he must've felt at Hornchurch's comeback at Wembley. Vegeta just about snatches the runner-up medal to add to his Cup win. Those achievements combine to make quite the excellent return on a good campaign.

RoryFice kept up with the average score for the round, but it wasn't enough to stop him from finishing stone bottom by quite some distance. Having eyed up a possible rocket into fourth a fortnight ago, ultimo crashes back down to earth with a bad performance and zero exact score out of 32 opportunities. It was only Stinky's tardiness in getting his picks in that probably saved ultimo from regressing to second-last place. 

With a potential 96 points on offer, scoring was perhaps slightly on the low side. Wins for Villa, Spurs, the aforementioned Urchins, Motherwell Ladies, Elche, Bielefeld and Braga caught most people out, alongside score draws at Plainmoor and the Stadio Diego Maradona (two very similar venues, there) and a stalemate in Huesca. Victories for Arsenal, Liverpool, West Ham, Sutton United, the two Madrid giants, FC Cologne, Juve, Lille, PSG, Rapid Vienna, Sturm Graz and Sydney FC all proved more fruitful, with the remaining 9 outcomes unsurprisingly turning out a more random mixed bag of guesses. 

It would've been remiss of me not to include Butch's big grudge match at The Racecourse. I was the only player who said Wrexham would bag 5 – then again, I thought it'd be without reply. Ryan Reynolds and co might yet find themselves in League Two next season via the play-offs. Special mention to Rory for foreseeing that Gladbach would score 4 away from home. Notably, nobody thought that Tottenham would do the same!

I'll add the link to the table to the original post in a moment, and that should be the last time I have to edit it all season... 

On 5/26/2021 at 11:39 PM, Fog Dude said:

It would've been remiss of me not to include Butch's big grudge match at The Racecourse. I was the only player who said Wrexham would bag 5 – then again, I thought it'd be without reply. Ryan Reynolds and co might yet find themselves in League Two next season via the play-offs. 

Well, so much for that. Looks like I jinxed it, or else another whole season in the fifth tier was part of the Hollywood script all along? 

Anyway, as promised, the finalised, archived version of this season's table: 

spacer.png

There's no getting away from the fact that I won this time. The closest I ever got to that before was when I was a distant runner-up to hbk4life some years ago. I'm usually trying not to finish last. I've managed to find three criteria by which Vegeta could be considered the real champion, and Briefcase also deserves credit for finishing just one further point behind and having a weekly average north of 8. I had the most bonus points, which helped, but not by much.

If you squint you can also see some of the negative awards, but please don't be too downhearted if you've ended up on the right-hand side of the image. Notably, it pays to play every time. Based on his average score, Shy Dad would've finished above TildeGuy if he hadn't missed a round.

My only worry is that I hope this doesn't look like a fix. Obviously I don't have any say over the results, but I do have almost complete control over which fixtures are chosen for inclusion. I have had one vague idea the last few weeks for a new wild card element to introduce next season, but it wouldn't really stop the competition from looking rigged, so I'm open to suggestions for how to prevent that.

There wouldn't be any satisfaction in winning if nobody else took part, though, so a big thanks to everyone who played. For the first time, everybody who signed up in the summer saw out the entire following season. Congrats again to Vegeta for winning the Cup. 

Now we have a proper break between seasons over the summer, unlike last year, so you can all have a breather. Enjoy the Euros and the Copa América if that's your thing. A sign-up thread for next season won't appear until after those are finished.

The only matches set for that campaign so far are tidying up this year's Women's FA Cup, some internationals in the autumn, plus (possibly) the Community Shield. A very tentative start date is for the first card to go live is first thing on the 4th of August, but it could be a week later than that depending on what the full 2021/22 schedule looks like... 

• Paid Members

I mean definitely if I hadn't missed that round I'd have been higher, at the same time my consistent attempt to have different results to the post before me I used as a copy to get the fixtures in the box probably didn't help either 😂.

Thanks as always for organising, glad I made it to the end this time.