Biggest Letdown Fights

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

That’s right. The first fight was on that MSG card under Alvarez vs McGregor. That one went to a draw and got FOTN on a stacked card. Yet the rematch was somehow cack.

Going more old school, I really didn’t expect Sylvia vs Arlovski 3 to be a nothing happening 5 round standoff after their first 2 were so quick and exciting. 

• Paid Members

I would genuinely be up for a Lewis/Ngannou rematch, now that Big Fran has probably got his confidence back, and the Black Beast never gave a fuck. Reckon it really was just a blip in performance because of stipe, but I would be willing to bet that 8 or 9 times out of 10 those two would just throw bombs at each other.

• Paid Members

Aldo v McGregor gets a pass because the finish was so unexpected and outstanding.

One that comes to mind is Sonnen v Silva 2. The build up felt absolutely massive at the time and, after the first fight, some were building it up as Sonnen being the one guy that has the skills to negate Silva. Even aside from the smacktalk, it just felt like an intriguing fight. IIRC, Sonnen barely landed a glove on Silva. Summarised perfectly with that shite spinning back fist he tried.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

are we allowed to throw Kimbo/Dada 5000 into the mix?

kimbo_dada.jpg?width=1024&height=576&cro

I'd say so. Nobody was expecting a good fight, but we at least expected it to be entertaining in a freakshow, throwing soup-bones way, not a so-awful-it's-terrible way.

• Paid Members

Fedor vs Nogueira 2 in the 2004 GP finals is another one. Not that I think Nog would’ve ever actually beat Fedor at that time but if he ever had a real chance it was then. He was sharp as fuck, his boxing was probably the best it’s ever been, he was injury free and was in the best shape of his entire career.

4D71D391-F16F-437E-B113-13216AF42FC7.gif

Then the fight ends on a clash of heads where Fedor gets sliced open and it’s called off. Proper letdown. Especially being the finals of the tournament. Imagine if he had pulled it off. The third fight would’ve been massive with them at 1-1. 

15 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Fedor vs Nogueira 2 in the 2004 GP finals is another one. Not that I think Nog would’ve ever actually beat Fedor at that time but if he ever had a real chance it was then. He was sharp as fuck, his boxing was probably the best it’s ever been, he was injury free and was in the best shape of his entire career.

4D71D391-F16F-437E-B113-13216AF42FC7.gif

Then the fight ends on a clash of heads where Fedor gets sliced open and it’s called off. Proper letdown. Especially being the finals of the tournament. Imagine if he had pulled it off. The third fight would’ve been massive with them at 1-1. 

And to think that Nog was probably clean at that point in his career. 

Nog was actually giving Fedor issues on the ground before they clashed heads. Fedor learnt his lesson in time for the third bout, and adjusted his gameplan accordingly to avoid fighting in Nog's guard. 

It would have been interesting to see if Fedor would have adapted on the fly had the two fighters not clashed heads in their second bout. Had he not, then there is a decent chance that Nog would have beaten him. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Yeah, the mad thing was Nog had beat Sergei Kharitonov earlier that same night in a hard fought battle. While Fedor got an easy win over Naoya Ogawa. Yet Nog still looked great while the Fedor fight lasted. He was on point that night. I guess there was always a chance he might’ve faded if the fight went long though, given the energy he must’ve used against Sergei earlier on.