Dana White's Contender Series - Season 4

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Stuck this is another thread but thought it might as well get its own thread as its running every Tuesday. The Contender Series returns:

Ive always neglected the show but seeings as so many good fighters are coming out of it, i think its about time i gave it a go.

Week 1 features 4 fights, nice short preview piece here:

https://combatpress.com/2020/07/contender-series-season-4-ep-1-preview-and-predictions/

Highlight there and what interests me is the return of Dustin Jacoby. Hasnt fought in MMA in over 5 years but became a bit of a cult favorite in Glory post-MMA. Wanna see that.

Even going forward, if i dont catch whole shows thought it'd be a handy thread to post clips/highlights to keep people in the loop.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Its basically a standard 5 fight card on a single night of unsigned MMA fighters. Dana sits cageside and offers certain fighters UFC contracts depending on how they perform. Its basically a fight show but there's an element of reality TV thrown in.

They've had some great success with it, Sean O'Malley, Danny Ige, Edmen Shahbazyan, Maycee Barber, Geoff Neal & Greg Hardy are just some of the fighters who got into the UFC through the show.

That was my first time watching an episode of DWCS as I did not have UFC Fightpass before but I subscribed to it during lockdown out of boredom, I have to say I am hooked. I thought it was brilliant. For some reason I thought it was going to be a bit more rough and ready like the fights on TUF with a lot of editing but it was not like that at all.

Unbeknownst to me it is pretty much like a UFC show with all the analysis, hype videos, commentary and interviews. I think the fact UFC shows are empty now and these shows are empty leads them to be very much alike, it didn't feel like a show full of amateurs at all, I loved it and I will be tuning in every week going forward. 

Jordan Leavitt was impressive and I think he might make the top ten within a year or too, I think his personality will lead some people to dislike him but I kind of like seeing a different character like that in the UFC.

Uros Medic pretty much had a perfect performance and I am excited to see what he does next.

It was a shame to see neither of the Flyweights get contracts, that division needs some new blood and they both put on an exciting back and forth fight. I feel it was kind of harsh that because neither won convincingly that neither of them were awarded contracts, but I guess that's the nature of the show. I'm assuming there will be some weeks where only one fighter gets a contract.

Out of interest, what kind of contract do they get? Do they all get offered the same sort of contract? x amount of money with x amount of fights or does it vary for each fighter? 

Episode 2 was highly enjoyable.

For those who have watched previous seasons, has it always been so tear jerking. It felt like an episode of X Factor with some of the sad back stories. Every fighter came off as likeable.

Glad to see McKenna repping Wales, I have not heard of her before but I will be looking forward to her next fight.

Laramie looked good, didn't see too much of him, not sure how he will turn out so lets see. Both his and his opponents backstory was pretty uplifting. 

Kasaganay has been put on the Edgar/Munoz fight so there's no waiting around to see his true potential.

Yanez looked incredible. He was definitely the star of the show.

And in the final fight that elbow injury looked nasty, I like how Stoltzfus apologised straight away, it showed he was a class guy. Hopefully we see Pyfer get another shot as he did look pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anybody catch episode 3? The most memorable fighters to come out of the show this week were the Cosce brothers who both won their fights and both won contracts. They seem like a bulked up version of the Diaz brothers who are slightly more eloquent. I look forward to seeing how they both progress going forward.

4 out of 5.

The guy who didn't get a contract won a decision. He won rounds 1 and 2 easily and then completely gassed out in the 3rd round and barely survived. It was quite obvious he wouldn't get a contract but apparently he had been through 2 weight cuts in the past 3 weeks or something as I think he was meant to fight on week 1 so the commentators said his poor performance in the 3rd was probably down to that.

When he was being interviewed after winning the fight he could barely breathe.....and just like in the new normal, the interview happened a good 5 minutes after the final buzzer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I caught an episode of this the other day. They were in Memphis and ending up doing some pro wrestling outside of Lawlers BBQ place.

There's very good chemistry between the three of them.  It always looks as if they're having fun.