This Weekend's Boxing (Canelo vs. Berlanga (14th Sept)

Egg Shen

22 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

bloody hell, but of a shocker in Manchester last night. Nathan Heaney beating Denzel Bentley, big ol' upset. Heaney celebrated like he'd won a World Title, great to see, a proper over-acheiver story. I think Bentley came in with the mindset that it was going to be an easy night's work and paid the price.

Good night of fights, but again the timing is all to fuck. No main event should be finishing at half 12 at night, just why!?!? If Nathan Heaney hadn't been switched to the last fight of the night kept his loyal fans in there, the Arena would have been empty to watch Nick Ball.

F_S3aRFXwAA1zqB.thumb.jpg.e726e88d38bd0a5460b49caaa89f4404.jpg

The problem with Denzel v Nathan was always going to be that it was the two joint nicest men in boxing beating each others brains in. 

Good fight. Gutted for Denzel, delighted for Nathan. One of those terrible fights for the favourite where you've spent so long convinced that you walk through your opponent (fueled by everyone believing the same - don't believe ANYONE who says they thought Nath had a chance), that your preparation revolves around landing those power shots and winning by knockout. When the other fucker doesn't go down? that way madness lies.

Great, gutsy performance from Nathan. Heart, guts, bollocks... whatever you want to call it, he showed it and more.

Cards on the table, I probably wouldn't fancy him in the rematch. I think people will stop gameplanning knocking him out now, and look to work around his limitations (still quite stiff at the waist, still moves relatively slowly, limited head movement). I wouldn't be surprised if Frank only puts him in with people who either fight for Queensberry, or he can get significant options on.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

56 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Talk of a World Title fight in Stoke next year, what you reckon the chances on that happening are? @d-d-d-dAz Heaney's the kind of fighter they could put off an event like that with.

It's a tough one, as he has 1500 people who will go to anything he does... it's a bit untested to say that scales to the 10/15k plus you'd want to make doing the Stoke football stadium worth it.

I reckon the Big 4 World Champions will be biting their hands off if the pay is good, but Frank won't be able to secure options on them.

My guess would be either Etinosa Oliha (IBO) or Carlos Adames (WBC Interim), with Frank getting 3 fight options on Oliha or the opportunity to co-promote (i.e. get his fighters on the show and have someone else cover the cost) Adames unification with Charlo in the States. Alternatively, maybe you roll the dice on a 40-year-old Erislandy Lara (WBA), given he's 40 and not fought in 18 months, but very little upside if he just comes in and does a job on him.

Janibek doesn't commercially do any more than either of them, and he'll just come in and smoke Nathan (i'd have thought).

But, like I say, Nath on his own doesn't necessarily guarantee tens of thousands of people so you probably need a decent card, which drives up costs, and Lara won't come cheap so you're already starting to question how much commercial value Lara brings to normal non-boxing hardcore punters over Adames or Oliha. My guess at this stage would be;

Nathan vs Oliha (Getting options on Adames off Al, even with Showtime going bust, might be difficult; he might not want to risk the unification)

Liam Davies vs someone for IBO Super Bantamweight title (IBO probably delighted to be getting two world title sanctioning fees)

Zach Parker vs someone for something

Package it as a MIDLANDS TITLE FIESTA and away you go.

Sorry, that was rambly. Answer is yes... to a point... with caveats.

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Cameron vs. Taylor II - 25th Nov)
  • Paid Members

The big Cameron/Taylor rematch is this evening in Ireland. Strange feeling around this one. If Taylor wins it really will be a perfect bow on the career, avenging her only defeat, I just don't feel there's much hope that she can actually pull it off. It feels like one fighters coming up the hill whilst the other is off down the other side of it. I expect Chantelle to win convincingly. The atmosphere for this could be pretty special though.

OIF.jpg.4fa9c71a40a2b243697cca456b9fbc7a.jpg

Over in America is this doozy:

OIP.jpg.1c8e8e70f9b4c4d6b0200cef521d946b.jpg

Andrade has one of the weirdest careers in the sport but he's stepping up to 168 and finally taking a big fight. Big Canelo stakes in this one. Jermall Charlo returns on the undercard, got a feeling that one's not going to go well at all. Think this thing is on Fite.

• Paid Members

The undercard of the Taylor/Cameron fight is like one of Matchroom's Next Generation shows. Considering all the Irish fighters in significant fights on the first Taylor/Cameron card got beat I'm guessing that Eddie didn't want to pay out for disappointment again. It is going to be a big rebuild on Gary Cully after he got battered last time. 

I'm with you on the main event though Ebb. Cameron seems to be on the up and Taylor's long career seems to have finally caught up with her. If this is the end for Taylor, what a servant to the sport she has been. 

• Paid Members

First off I want to say that Taylor won that fight. Close, certainly closer than 98-92 but close. I do however think money changed hands to make sure she won. With everything that's gone on in Ireland over the past few days, her losing may well have brought the rioters back out. Call me a conspiracy theorist but I'm pretty sure had Katie got knocked out of the ring like Mick Conlan did that time  they would have ruled it a slip and helped her back in. 

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊

Good to see Jordan Gill get the win against Michael Conlan last night. At 130lbs he looked a totally different fighter. Conlan's punch resistance looks like it has gone now.

After Kiko Martinez steamrolled over Gill last time, I think people thought he was done and would be a safe opponent for Conlan as he doesn't punch very hard. 

But those extra pounds added a steam to his punches. Conlan down from a crunching left in the 2nd. His legs never really recovered but he had some success in the 6th with a flurry of uppercuts. Gill put more pressure on in the 7th. After a stream of shots in the corner and no fight back, referee waved it off.

The stoppage may have looked premature but Eddie Hearn said Jamie Conlan was in the corner with the towel ready to throw it in. And noone complained. I think they knew, how hurt he was and didn't want him to take any unnecessary punishment.

• Paid Members

I'm not sure about that wand. It could be good, but equally mini Mayweather could make it dull as ditchwater. Haney has elite level boxing skills but that has made for dull fights in the past. 

Edited by Lion_of_the_Midlands
Inadvertent sea fret.

I expected Haney to win it on points but not like that, he completely dominated from the beginning of the fight until the end of it. I thought if he stepped it up a bit more in the latter half of the fight and went looking for it he could have stopped Prograis, but he chose to continue his thing and not take any unnecessary risks. Programs hasn't impressed me since the Taylor fight, still a good fighter but it seemed to take more out of him then I first thought it would.  Haney even at being 5lbs heavier from he usual 135 weight he fights at looks massive. 

• Paid Members

As Gooner said, that wasn't the points victory for Haney I expected. Maybe the strain of getting down to 135 has robbed us of that Haney over the years. I thought he looked superb. Prograis looked like a novice, and even though he has not looked great in this fight and the last you'd have to say that even at his very best Haney would still have schooled him. Looking forward to more Haney at 140 and beyond.