This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

weird little fight flying under all radars tonight...

20210315_102809.jpg.71d1c72e141fd562eab16df8e15d3d3d.jpg

Liam Smith fighting some undefeated Russian, out in Russia. I dunno if Liam is finding it hard to get fights but thats a tricky looking assignment. Smith is a slight underdog with the bookies and id imagine is gonna have to win convincingly to get anything on the card. 

Frustratingly only available through Fite TV for 10 notes. Id have watched this live if it was on standard TV.

• Paid Members

This weekends boxeo:

20210512_162425.jpg.6a94918f7c470465b02e63880b527daf.jpgNow this fucking thing.

Similar to the Bryan/Charr fight that collapsed a while back, this thing is due to go ahead this weekend for the WBA Regular World Title. Don King is once again trying to stop it happening, why?!?

The fact that this is for a legit version of a major world title organisation is a joke. Charr (the champ) hasbt fought in 3 and half years. Lovejoy who's supposedly 19-0 has never fought anyone with a pulse, some people even question if he's had 19 fights. There's literally one clip of Lovejoy on youtube. 

Weirdly though, wanna see it so there ya go. No one seems to know where it will air though 😄

Other than that:

20210512_113348.thumb.jpg.e1fd6ded4a930108ba2fdcbedb274dc1.jpg

People ragging on this and rightly so. The main event of Terri Harper fell off so we're left with a very one sided looking card. Everyones in agreememt that Eddie Hearn is just riding out the Sky deal at this point.

20210513_134507.thumb.jpg.9c569b6305f16b1a8a8ae5cb99be5d72.jpg

Comfortably the best fight of the weekend on paper. Im unfamilar with both outside of their names, but if i get around to it i'll check this out

• Paid Members

Ah Lovejoy’s the chap who gave Dave Allen the runaround a while back isn’t he? This interview before the fight (that never ended up actually happening) was well awkward and Lovejoy gave off a bit of a shifty vibe then.

• Paid Members

yeh, he got pulled out last minute by Don King. He then got scheduled to fight again and once again had King block it. He has since retired and declared bankruptcy. Now hes back and fighting for a version of the World Title. He's in Germany alone for it, no corner, no team, no manager. Just weird.

12 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

i said it recently, but one of best things about getting the boxing off Sky is not having to Smith in the booth anymore.

Sky have transferred him over to the darts. 

He's already trotted out some of his catchphrases:

"Big boxing fan"

"Family man"

"Great respect between the two"

• Paid Members

is he really doing darts?

Smith is the head of boxing at Sky, and i do like the guy, i just think he put himself in the booth because he's the boss.

On the Sky shows, i always feel their better announce team commentates the early fights, then they switch to the shitter 'A' team of Smith & Macklin for the main fights.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

Sky have transferred him over to the darts. 

He's already trotted out some of his catchphrases:

"Big boxing fan"

"Family man"

"Great respect between the two"

“They’ll never find the bodies”. 

425E04BB-C923-4B10-AB91-59DFCAEE496C.jpeg

35 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

is he really doing darts?

Smith is the head of boxing at Sky, and i do like the guy, i just think he put himself in the booth because he's the boss.

On the Sky shows, i always feel their better announce team commentates the early fights, then they switch to the shitter 'A' team of Smith & Macklin for the main fights.

Aye. I assume he'll become a permanent fixture on the darts from now on. 

Hopefully they will transfer Anna Woolhouse over as well. 

On 5/13/2021 at 1:46 PM, Egg Shen said:

This weekends boxeo:

20210513_134507.thumb.jpg.9c569b6305f16b1a8a8ae5cb99be5d72.jpg

Comfortably the best fight of the weekend on paper. Im unfamilar with both outside of their names, but if i get around to it i'll check this out

Nery should be a bigger name than what he is really. 30 fights, all wins, 24 stoppages. Attractive action fighter, two weight world champion. Demolishing the lineal bantamweight champ, Shinsuke Yamanaka and then failing a drugs test afterwards (eventually got overturned) didn't help him. Then when he came in overweight for the title rematch, it looked like he had a didn't care attitude.

I haven't seen Figueroa fight but he's got a good record and is a big puncher. If he's anything like his brother Omar, he will love a good war.