MMA/Boxing RIP Thread

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Yep. He was also supposedly a victim of Missy Hyatt promising him a blowjob if he let Taz beat him in ECW. Then got told “I don’t blow jobbers” if the rumour is to be believed. Poor sod. In hindsight he should’ve just battered Taz and killed the myth years before RVD. 

Just now, wandshogun09 said:

Yep. He was also supposedly a victim of Missy Hyatt promising him a blowjob if he let Taz beat him in ECW. Then got told “I don’t blow jobbers” if the rumour is to be believed. Poor sod. In hindsight he should’ve just battered Taz and killed the myth years before RVD. 

The Eliminators, Shane Douglas, Team Taz and a few others were all at ringside for the match.  Certainly looking back at it with today's eyes it's like Heyman had them at ringside should Varelans go into business for himself and while he may have got some licks in on Taz, he'd be greatly outnumbered and would probably ended up have taking a nasty beating.

• wandshogun09 changed the title to MMA/Boxing RIP Thread
  • Paid Members

This is a big one. Leon Spinks has died.

Really sad news. I saw his brother Michael had been posting asking people to pray for him just the other day. Thought he’d be older than 67 as well.

The moment he beat Ali;

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

sad news.

Spinks, like most of the 70's/80's heavyweights i became aware of through the Champions Forever doc. as a kid. I remember being blown away when i saw Ali lost to him. In my head Ali was an untouchable, so to see him losing to seem weird looking fella with no teeth always felt a bit strange to me. Crazy that he did it in only his 8th fight.

• 7 months later...
  • Paid Members

ahh sad to see that.

I need to go and see if theres a proper retrospective article written about the whole Gannon/Kimbo thing. I was on the Sherdog boards during the Kimbo street fight boom and the Gannon fight was set up through the forums on Sherdog. It was crazy to follow it at the time, a lot of people thought it was a bit of a hoax and that the fight was never gonna take place. I vividly remember the reports starting to filter through that it had happened and that Gannon had won, no one could quite believe it. Then the grainy photos captured from the video started to surface and finally the video. Just a crazy experience really sitting on the outside looking in, the whole thing had an element of danger to it, proper underground dealings. Well, that's how it felt.

unnamed-2.jpg.4417eac0f87a3ae147ee182f7f78a47f.jpg

The fact that Gannon went to the UFC off the back of it is just as mental. It sort of came and went and was never spoken about again, he was officially 2-0 before it but I dont think it was ever clear on how much actual of a background he had in fighting. I wonder why a Gannon/Kimbo fight never happened in MMA? would have made a lot of sense.

I know very little about Sean Gannon other than that. I aint sure if he ever did much in ways of interviews regarding the whole affair. Im fairly certain he lost his job as a police officer because of the whole thing though. Sad to see he's passed away.

RIP.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Good stuff Ebb. I wasn’t following it closely at the time but caught bits and pieces and I remember seeing the video not long after it happened. As soon as Kimbo took off in EliteXC I expected them to do the rematch there. You’d have thought they’d be all over it but maybe that’s when Gannon had his UFC fight (my timeline is hazy) and by the time he was out of the UFC the moment had passed maybe. Actually, thinking back, it wouldn’t surprise me if the whole reason the UFC signed Gannon at all was to stop another promotion doing the Kimbo rematch. Just to spite them. 

• Paid Members

The Gannon fight in the UFC was almost 2 years before Kimbo had his first "official" fight with Ray Mercer. So theres a big gap in the timeline.

Just found out Gannon did a lenghthy Reddit AMA though! Im gonna get into this on the shitter later. Its 4 years old.

1217707844_Screenshot_20210912-081433_SamsungInternet.jpg.7e3011a30df97b603f9a6eb6573c702f.jpg

https://amp.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5i95lp/im_ufc_vet_sean_gannon_the_only_man_to_ever/

• Moderators

I heard about Sean Gannon passing from my BJJ academy where he occasionally trained. I never interacted with him that much, but my instructor was a big fan of him, and Sean always seemed like a nice guy to me. I do know that he got absolutely fucked by the corrupt Boston police department for reporting a corrupt racist cop.

• 3 months later...
  • Paid Members

What the fuck? Just seen on the PFL and American Top Team’s Twitter pages that MMA fighter Jordan Young has died. Don’t know the cause yet but I caught his come from behind win over former UFC fighter Omari Akhmedov in the PFL just weeks ago and was impressed.

I never really bother with PFL but this stuck out to me because he stopped Akhmedov and the way he did it.

He was tweeting on his own account as recently as yesterday and his last bunch of tweets seem like he was going through some shit. Everyone always says ‘that’s no age’ when someone dies but 27 years old is way, way too soon. Awful. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

90's/20's K-1 fighter Lloyd Van Dams passed away a few days ago aged 49.

Lloyd_van_Dams.jpg.5e456decf9f83d53c924f3235319302a.jpg

Not massively familiar with Van Dams, but always remember the name. He was never knocked out in 84 pro kickboxing fights, and he basically fought the cream of the crop (Schilt, Bonjasky, Hoost etc.) incredible stat. 

He had one lone MMA fight in Pride too against Gary Goodridge in the classic crossover days.

RIP.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Remember Maiquel Falcao?

E9-FC0-FF8-9-BF8-4-E3-E-A529-06826-E126-

40 years old.

Controversial fighter and a nasty piece of work by the sounds of it. He fought once in the UFC back in 2010, beat Gerald Harris on points in a weird fight and got sacked when he was arrested for an assault on a woman years earlier. He was also involved in an incident at a gas station in 2013 where he again assaulted a woman (made a bit of a habit of that it seems) and got into a fight where he was knocked out by a piece of wood. In his last few years in MMA he had spells in Bellator, KSW and M-1 among other promotions and finished up in 2019 on a 4 fight losing streak and a 40-19-0-1 overall.

I remember his UFC fight well and his brief stay in Bellator. Seemed like he had potential but was too much of a headcase and a cunt to get out of his own way and he was one of those fighters that you always had a feeling would have a bad ending to their story. 

• Paid Members

I remember Falcao vividly. His UFC was a pretty big deal when it happened. Not alot happened in the fight but i remember when Falcao let his hands go he was pretty frightening. The buzz around him then really stemmed from the feeling that he was a genuinely violent man, there was an element of danger around him. He was seen as a bit of a new Wanderlei Silva at the time.