UFC Mexico: Rodriguez vs Stephens - Sep 21 🇲🇽

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Stephens, shown there getting the blame of those in attendance for being the victim. What an unfortunate way for that to end, for all of those people in both camps that put the effort in to prepare for the fight. 

• Paid Members

It was such a crappy end to an otherwise cracking show. A proper downer. Really thought we were in for something a bit special with Yair Rodriguez and Jeremy Stephens. Especially after the way the previous two fights went. It just felt like the card was building to something crazy. Then 15 seconds in, its all over. Huge anti-climax. 

The post-fight scenes were ugly with the crowd pelting Stephens with rubbish. Never seen anything quite like that at a UFC show. 

Not good. I get being frustrated with how the fight ended but that was cunty. It’s that bollocks mentality of the fighter being a pussy for not continuing to fight, even when he can’t fucking see. I’ve never liked Stephens but I’ve got zero doubt he couldn’t see. He couldn’t open the eye for ages. No way any fighter goes through a full training camp and puts in all the time and expense that goes with it to just ‘quit’. 

What was this about as well?...

Bisping should’ve snapped his filthy eye poking fingers. 

Carla Esparza vs Alexa Grasso was a way better fight than I expected. Esparza is usually boring as fuck to watch but Grasso managed to drag her into the best fight of her career and it was quality. Grasso’s had a few really good fights now in the UFC. This one, the Karolina Kowalkiewicz one in her last fight and I remember the Randa Markos fight being fun as well. I had Grasso winning this, to be honest. Esparza got some takedowns but I thought Grasso was still outworking her from the bottom and felt like she landed more and better on the feet. How Esparza survived that armbar though...

2199162-D-5-EE2-4-F55-9-F09-D1-E174-C488

Arms aren’t supposed to do that. Credit where it’s due. Can’t stand Esparza but she’s tough as fuck. 

Brandon Moreno vs Askar Askarov was another tremendous fight. I thought this was fantastic and maybe even better than Esparza vs Grasso actually. Really exciting from bell-to-bell. Not sure about the scoring in this one either. On first watch but not scoring particularly closely, I had it for Moreno. Think I gave him 1 and 3. Having it a draw seemed a bit off to me but whatever. Great fight. I’d like to see a rematch sometime. Shame they never got any kind of bonus for that fight. 

Thought Irene Aldana had probably her best UFC showing to date against a game Vanessa Melo. Aldana just used her as target practice and Melo took a right beating. 

Steven Peterson busting out a spinning backfist KO was some way to open up the main card. Easily one of the best knockouts of the year. It was like something off a video game with both throwing backfists at the same time but Peterson’s connected on the money and nearly took Bravo’s head clean off. 

Kyle Nelson fucking wrecked Polo Reyes in a round. That barrage up against the fence just came out of nowhere. 

Angela Hill’s elbow...Christ! Not the debut Ariane Carnelossi would’ve wished for. Decent little fight before that but that elbow in the third just sliced Carnelossi right the fuck open above the eye. 

Sergio Pettis vs Tyson Nam was OK, nothing special. Pettis looked pretty sharp and he managed to avoid the old late replacement curse. Nam had his moments though and I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do on a full camp. 

Paul Craig had his most straight forward and impressive UFC win to date. He looked good. Just battered Moreira. Glad he’s sticking around, seems a good guy. I loved him describing Moreira as doing “the old Elvis Presley leg” when he was rocked 😂

Funny show really. The one fight that you’d think was guaranteed to be great ended in 15 seconds on an eye poke but some of the undercard delivered more than I expected, particularly Grasso vs Esparza. 

On 9/21/2019 at 10:40 PM, wandshogun09 said:

Bisping should’ve snapped his filthy eye poking fingers

I'd already heard that there was a bit of aggro between Bisping and Rodriguez before watching. 

For a very brief moment, I thought that Rodriguez was climbing the cage after the fight to confront Bisping over something. You can hear Bisping say on commentary "I'm okay, I don't hide Brendan" or something to that effect. Obviously, Bisping was referring to the crap that were being thrown at the cage, and Rodriguez was reacting to being struck by a bottle. 

It was an utter shitshow. In a way, it was similar to the distasteful comments that Covington made about Matt Hughes. The victim, in this case Stephens, is that much of a dickhead that it is difficult to feel sorry for him. Even though the perpetrators' behaviour, in this case the crowd, was atrocious. They pelted someone who, on the evening in question, had done fuck all wrong. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Yeah it was just bad vibes all round. 

Got to say, heat of the moment and all that but I thought Yair came off pretty badly in all that. Of course, the eye poke was unintentional but the way he carried on after that was a bit shitty. Jumping up on the fence celebrating as if he’d won, then getting arsey with Bisping. He was acting like he was the one who was wronged. I get that it was an accident and that both him and Stephens got robbed of a proper fight and both wasted time and money on training for it. I get it. But it was his finger that caused it. On top of that, in his post-fight media scrum he’s acting like Stephens faked the injury. 

I’ve said loads of times over the years that I can’t be doing with Jeremy Stephens. He’s hardly a sympathetic figure. But Yair’s come off as a cock there to me. Accidents happen but how this getting put on Stephens and becoming a question of his toughness is a load of bollocks. If the fight happened anywhere but Mexico, Yair would’ve probably got the full heel reaction. 

• Paid Members

Yep. The BMF division is legit. Masvidal - 13 losses, 2-2 in his last 4. Diaz - 11 losses and only fights once every few years. Stephens with his 16 losses is as deserving as any of a crack at that belt. BMFs. 

On a serious note, depending on how bad Stephens’ eye is, obviously, I wonder how quickly they could set up a rematch. Looking at the upcoming cards, UFC 243 in Aus could certainly do with a fight like Yair vs Stephens. And Boston just lost its Zabit vs Kattar co-main, so there’s that card too. Whether Stephens would be good to go by Oct 5th or 18th is the question. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

The lighter side of the Mexican fans being twats on Saturday night;

On a side note, I actually think these two are my favourite commentary team now. They might be better than the PPV team for me. I think Bisping is ace. As much as I like Cormier on commentary, I actually think I’ve enjoyed Bisping more lately. And I wasn’t fussed either way on Brendan Fitzgerald but I think him and Bisping have really good chemistry. They worked really well together right off the bat and they’ve got better each time the more familiar they’ve gotten with each other. I’m pretty much done with Rogan and Cruz is starting to grate on me a bit as well. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Like I said, Yair’s come across as a right twat in all this. What an unexpected heel turn! “You’ll have to live with this all your life”, as if Stephens did something wrong or shameful. It’s him and his wandering, pokey fingers that caused the fight to be called off. 

Stephens was on Helwani’s show on Monday talking about everything, including that little case of handbags there; 

As much as I’ve disliked Stephens over the years, I actually hope he knocks Yair out if they do fight again. He’s gone on like a right dickhead in the fallout with his post-fight celebration, his little strop at Bisping and now this shit. And what did Yair get sacked for a while back again? Wasn’t it put out at the time that he kept turning down fights? I didn’t buy it at the time and I still don’t really, but if there is any truth to that then it’s fucking rich him calling Stephens’ courage into question. 

Stephens is saying he wants to set up the rematch straight away for one of the upcoming cards. Of the choices, I think the Boston show next month would be ideal if he can get cleared in time. That card just lost its co-main (Zabit vs Kattar) as well so it’d slot nicely in there under Reyes vs Weidman and I doubt the Boston fans would feel short changed in the slightest. 

Anyway, yeah, Yair’s gone full heel for me with this. There was also a video of Cain Velasquez and Brian Ortega celebrating in the crowd when the fight got called off, like Yair had actually done something impressive. 

Isn’t ‘puto’ a homophobic slur? 

13 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Isn’t ‘puto’ a homophobic slur? 

Aye, I believe it means "male prostitute". It's used towards those thought to be cowardly, weak, soft, etc.

Based on the context of the video, I assume that Cain and Ortega were making light of the situation and comically implying that Stephens was faking the injury. Still, not a very good look for either.