Jon Jones - The man who made Daniel Cormier cry discussion thread

David

I didn't want to bump the "Jon Jones messed up again" thread, despite the warm feeling I'd get from you lot initially thinking the GOAT had fucked up again.

Nah, I figured we could do with a thread just to discuss the greatest athlete to step into the cage, and the latest news and chat on his career. I always had him painted as a very savvy operator inside the cage, even if he's not so smart outside it, and his latest quotes on fighting DC at heavyweight are a good example of that;

Despite Cormier’s claims, Jones doesn’t expect to see the reigning heavyweight champion fighting at light heavyweight again before he calls it a career.

“He says it, but there’s no way he’s coming back to light heavyweight,” Jones told Dan Hardy in an interview for BT Sport. “To commit your life to lose that type of weight and to come up short again would be so devastating. It would take an incredible amount of courage to attempt it and to come up short would just be so devastating. I doubt he would put himself through that for the third time.”

“Bones” acknowledges that it would probably be even more devastating for Cormier to relinquish the heavyweight crown in a trilogy bout. However, Jones realizes that facing the American Kickboxing Academy stalwart in a larger weight class would be a risky proposition.

“But me coming up short, I’m a realist,” Jones said. “Daniel Cormier is a special athlete and everyone can be beat. I think my greatest chance of losing would be to a guy like Daniel Cormier, with giving him a power and strength advantage over me, it just doesn’t make sense.

“Right now, I make light heavyweight very easily and it just wouldn’t make no sense to fight a guy who I think technically [is] on your level, and to give him a size advantage, I’m not doing it. I’m not doing it. I’m sure my fans don’t like to hear me talk like that, but that’s just me being a realist and being respectful to Daniel’s abilities.”

Jones has it all figured out. DC is the guy who'll have to make the mistake of going through the weight cut and putting himself back into a position where he's at a disadvantage in order to get the Jones fight.

How much must you be living inside a guys head where he's willing to do all of that just to face you again, despite what he's accomplished? It's like I said months ago, the losses to Jones will haunt DC until the day he dies, much like the Ali situation hung over Joe Frazier the rest of his life.

Edited by David

• Paid Members

Jones is the one holding the cards and what he says makes sense, but if Jones really wanted to stick it to DC wouldn't him moving up to heavyweight and beating DC there as well be the ultimate closure. I can fully understand Jones' reasoning for not doing it, and if a 3rd fight at 205 never materialises Jones wins the battles and the war, but Jones going up to do it at heavyweight would be history defining stuff. As a fan, that's what i wanna see.

2 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Jones is the one holding the cards and what he says makes sense, but if Jones really wanted to stick it to DC wouldn't him moving up to heavyweight and beating DC there as well be the ultimate closure.

The thing is, Jones isn't looking to stick it to Cormier, and he isn't the one needing closure. If he's angling for that fight it's about the money, plain & simple. 

It's all on DC, and it'll be interesting to see if he's so bothered by the Jones losses that he's willing to practically kill himself to drop back down to 205lbs at this stage of his career for one last shot at redemption.

The question is, how will another loss affect him? I can't see him winning this one, especially going on the form Jones showed against Gusty. The guy looks like he's hitting his prime right about now.

• Paid Members

yeh, age is catching up too DC too, his best chance at beating Jones has probably passed, unless of course it can happen at heavyweight.

I just feel DC is on his way to being considered the best heavyweight of all time, if he beats Miocic again he likely takes that position for many. Imagine if Jones just casually moved up beat DC at heavyweight, dropped the belt like it was nothing and then went back to 205lb. History.

• Paid Members

Goodbye Jon Jones screwed up thread.

tenor.gif?itemid=9087412

Jones definitely lives inside DC's head and knows what buttons to push. As discussed, I think DC wants to fight at LHW because he's partly worried Jones beats him at HW, so he once again loses a part of his legacy to Jones. No idea why you want to cut all that weight at his age when you have such a potential advantage at your natural weight.

Jones' camp will probably baulk from fighting DC at Heavyweight entirely. Remember, it was under Jackson's advice that Jones refused to fight Chael Sonnen at short notice in 2012. It's not that Jones ducks other fighters, far from it. But his camp won't advise him to take unnecessary risks. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the Jackson/Winklejohn camp were lukewarm to the GSP vs Anderson superfight back in the day. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

yeh, age is catching up too DC too, his best chance at beating Jones has probably passed, unless of course it can happen at heavyweight.

I just feel DC is on his way to being considered the best heavyweight of all time, if he beats Miocic again he likely takes that position for many. Imagine if Jones just casually moved up beat DC at heavyweight, dropped the belt like it was nothing and then went back to 205lb. History.

Even better if Jones beat DC at heavyweight, was going to drop the belt but then Brock announced he'd like one last superfight & DC got side-lined whilst Jonny Bones gets a mega-payday.