I went to Japan and here's what I did

JNLister

Loved reading that, Maki Ito is amazing isn’t she? 

Cant believe you went to Shinkiba 1st Ring on so many occasions and didn’t catch a Stardom show! Were they in Osaka or Nagoya when you were there or something? 

• Paid Members

Yeah, they only had one Tokyo show while I was there and it clashed with the big DDT show.

I saw them at Shin-Kiba on my first trip and about half the audience was non-Japanese (it was the night before Wrestle Kingdom.) This time I counted 6 Westerners in the audience across all 20 shows, which shows how much of a foreigner draw New Japan at the Dome is.

• Paid Members
On 3/2/2019 at 7:39 PM, Merzbow said:

Excellent thread! Been reading different days through the past few hours.

Onita's retirement from 2017(?) didn't last long then did it?

Onita's retirements never last long. He came back for (IIRC) a charity show late in 2018, then - madly - worked a handful of death matches for STARDOM, of all places, on their "Idols" brand. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he's genuinely done now, though - there were photos of him in a wheelchair around the day of the Baba Anniversary show, and he apparently needs both knees replaced. It seems like he'd have worked the Baba show no matter what, but that might be it for him.

He had teased that he would be making his UK debut this year - and Atsushi Onita's Big BritWres Adventure is pretty much the only thing left that would guarantee me buying a ticket no matter the promotion and no matter the location - but I really doubt anything will come of it.

I'm super jealous of @JNLister Japanese adventures this time around, especially Gatoh Move and the Baba show. Mad out of the box presentation, Emi Sakura's stable of trainees, and a bunch of old-timers pretty much covers all the bases as far as my Japanese wrestling interest goes. Seeing Gatoh Move live is very high on my wrestling bucket list.

• Paid Members

Yeah, IIRC Onita is doing WrestleMania weekend but isn't actually doing a match because he's so shot.

I just got the Google Maps "what you did in February e-mail" and have now realised the toy shop I visit must have been run by Rey Mysterio.

D0zPtkUW0AAnKG6.jpg:large

Archived