The Facebook and Cambridge Analytica Thread

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I've been wanting to close my Facebook for weeks now and just haven't got around to it. But now I don't want to look like I'm just on the bandwagon.

You might as well get on the bandwagon. Nothing will hurt Facebook more than losing users, and their share price dropping, and that might actually push them to change....so very much about their platform. I mean, before I shut mine down this week, I swear I'd hardly ever see anything a friend had posted. It was always something from TechCrunch or the NYT or whatever. Yeah, I followed them but it was crazy how Facebook decided to prioritise the news feed. And now all this on top of it- there's no better time to get out!

All the dankest memes are on Twitter anyway. 

• Paid Members

I think the final straw for me was seeing an interview with Zuckerberg from I think it was 2009 where he outright denies they use or sell data, that what you post you own, and all this stuff. In retrospect he's a slimy little weasel.

Edit: found it.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I really dislike Twitter. Fuck it, I don't need social media. I'm not that fussed about keeping up with the outside world.

Let me tell you about this hip meme factory called Reddit...

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

I think the final straw for me was seeing an interview with Zuckerberg from I think it was 2009 where he outright denies they use or sell data, that what you post you own, and all this stuff. In retrospect he's a slimy little weasel.

This isn't new either though, because after Facebook bought out Instagram in 2012 something similar happened. Do you remember the big hoo-ha about the policy change later that year, where they added this part: 'To help us deliver interesting paid or sponsored content or promotions, you agree that a business or other entity may pay us to display your username, likeness, photos (along with any associated metadata), and/or actions you take, in connection with paid or sponsored content or promotions, without any compensation to you' ?

That's when I got rid of Insta. I only wanted it for the filters for existing photos so I just downloaded something else. Strangely enough, it didn't have an effect  long-term as years later it became bigger than ever.

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, PunkStep said:

This isn't new either though, because after Facebook bought out Instagram in 2012 something similar happened. Do you remember the big hoo-ha about the policy change later that year, where they added this part: 'To help us deliver interesting paid or sponsored content or promotions, you agree that a business or other entity may pay us to display your username, likeness, photos (along with any associated metadata), and/or actions you take, in connection with paid or sponsored content or promotions, without any compensation to you' ?

That's when I got rid of Insta. I only wanted it for the filters for existing photos so I just downloaded something else. Strangely enough, it didn't have an effect  long-term as years later it became bigger than ever.

There were similar shady goings on with WhatsApp a few months after Facebook bought them a couple of years back.

I'm still on Facebook if only that it still allows be to stalk and perv at an old flame of mine that I've never really got over. Otherwise I could take it or leave it.

Archived