Best Of Shibata

PWalsh

His final match with Okada was breathtaking and may well be his best. If you shut your eyes for the headbutt 

Any match with Ishii is a guaranteed blast. Loved him and Matt Riddle at RevPro 

Would like to become more acquainted with his pre-2014 stuff 

I've been pretty fuming about that last headbutt so I can't really enjoy his old matches as much anymore. It's a bit like watching Benoit giving himself brain damage little by little over the years and knowing what's to come... but obviously nowhere near as drastic as that.

Haven't seen all his matches, but these are some of his best:

Satoshi Kojima v Katsuyori Shibata 29.12.05 - Big Mouth Loud
Hiroshi Tanahashi v Katsuyori Shibata 4.1.06
Kensuke Sasaki v Katsuyori Shibata 2.7.06 - Big Mouth Loud
Hirooki Goto v Katsuyori Shibata 22.6.13
Tomohiro Ishii v Katsuyori Shibata 4.8.13
Tomohiro Ishii v Katsuyori Shibata 14.10.13
Hirooki Goto v Katsuyori Shibata 4.1.14
Hiroshi Tanahashi v Katsuyori Shibata 21.9.14
Kazushi Sakuraba v Katsuyori Shibata 5.7.15
Tomohiro Ishii v Katsuyori Shibata 4.1.16
Katsuyori Shibata v Tomohiro Ishii 11.2.16
Yuji Nagata v Katsuyori Shibata 19.6.16
Katsuyori Shibata v Hirooki Goto 4.1.17
Tomohiro Ishii v Katsuyori Shibata 19.3.17
Kazuchika Okada v Katsuyori Shibata 9.4.17

Honourable mentions for these too:

Jun Akiyama v Katsuyori Shibata 4.8.05 - Wrestle-1
Katsuyori Shibata v Katsuhiko Nakajima 19.4.06 - Big Mouth Loud
Hirooki Goto v Katsuyori Shibata 20.7.13
Katsuyori Shibata v Satoshi Kojima 2.8.13
Katsuyori Shibata v Hiroshi Tanahashi 11.8.13

4 hours ago, Love-Wilcox said:

I've been pretty fuming about that last headbutt so I can't really enjoy his old matches as much anymore. It's a bit like watching Benoit giving himself brain damage little by little over the years and knowing what's to come... but obviously nowhere near as drastic as that.

It's more comparable to watching Bryan in ROH. Definitely approaching guilty pleasure territory. 

Speaking of which surely Shiba is done if they reckon he won't get cleared in Japan. I'll miss him but I genuinely don't think he should wrestle again.  I'm assuming if Bryan sees out his WWE contract Japan would happily have him. Talk about mixed feelings 

• Paid Members

Outside of the headbutt, I'd say his match with Okada may well be his best. One of the most exciting matches I've seen in years. His match with Ishii at the last Wrestle Kingdom is one of the best from both guys, too.

• Paid Members

Most of his matches with Goto are brilliant. His match with MiSu in this year's New Japan Cup was a dream come true for me. Also, his match with Tana in the 2015 G1 was a personal favourite, that year I was convinced he was going all the way from how he started. VERY personally, I enjoyed him and Goto slaughtering Doc and Karl at Kingdom 9 which at 8 minutes or so is a glorified squash but real fun to watch. And I love him and KENTA v Misawa and Shiozaki back iin the day purely for the part where Go gets the shit kicked out of him by the pair of them.

All the people saying Okada was his best match are right though. The stars aligned and they both smashed it.

Archived