WWE in talks to buyout Ring of Honor

Psygnosis

I dont get their philosophy here (well I do, because its Vince ... but) they seem to get most of their guys from ROH these days. Why would you want to buy out the place which gave you CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins and all those other guys they signed? I know ROH isnt up to much these days and they're pipped at the post before they get a chance to develop anyone significant these days, but still. These's going to be WWE and TNA, and then a bunch of promotions who WWE work with thinking WWE are doing them a favour (when in reality they're going to take everything from them and leave them in the dirt eventually).

Its amazing seeing people all chuffed that they're in bed with WWE. You dont work with WWE. You work for them and then they'll throw you in the bin once you have no juice left.

This is how i see the situation in the UK could be proven wrong. An outright buyout of ROH would be different.

The indies in UK started to boom because of a wave of talent and the fact fans in this country wanted an alternative to WWE particularly live going to a RAW taping in the UK being 9 times out of 10 a stale experience. And the two promotions who started and took off most during this time down to their marketing are already seemingly under the WWE umbrella.

WWE saw the success and wanted a piece of the pie. DVD and PPV are dead. Network, Live gate and merch sales. I'm sure they'd like the UK Indy scene to thrive and keep producing fresh talent. But do we really think they care. Who knows maybe Vince cares about the future of Britwres or maybe he doesn't like to miss out on a revenue stream. It's funny WWF came on TV and WOS soon disappeared. Hooray for WWE getting involved in British Wrestling at a time when in its own right it's starting to get on TV.

Saying this it is great for The current guys who are involved to get that experience and exposure. But WWE likes control and Progress and ICW with corporate WWE. Punk rock pro wrestling. Smash the system.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Well, he said that was the plan when they were trying to buy TNA but no one gives a fuck about TNA  other than wrestleuk but ROH definitely have an audience. I assume if they bought it and absorbed it they'd be hoping to get the ROH audience to subscribe to the network and watch NXT instead (with the lure of the tape library going on there too) but I reckon a bunch wouldn't bother and it'd be similar to losing the WCW audience, just on a much smaller scale.

• Paid Members

The UK will be next. If WWE want their own UK based promotion, everyone is going to die if they have their way. It really serves WWE well (nobody else, mind) that the business is ran by a bunch of marks these days. They'll stick you in the front row of a WWE show and you'll get all excited that you've met Triple H, and then eventually they'll eat you up and squash you.

That's why I admired Ricky Knight the other week. He got done over by them and never hid from it. He pretty much came out and said "this is my living, fuck off."

Pretty much this.

Promoters making the same mistakes people made in the 80s. Short term it seems the best deal. Long term its fucking horrible.

I can't see ROH just disappearing unless they are running at a loss which is something I've not heard about?

Either WWE is paying silly money to kill them off for the tape library or in my opinion what we are hearing is wrong. ROH will perhaps move on with another name of WWE must have all the rights or they just pay a bucket for joint/full tape rights

• Paid Members

I assume if they bought it and absorbed it they'd be hoping to get the ROH audience to subscribe to the network and watch NXT instead

The thing is though, what percentage of the ROH fanbase already watch NXT and have the network? I'd imagine a large amount.

The UK will be next. If WWE want their own UK based promotion, everyone is going to die if they have their way. It really serves WWE well (nobody else, mind) that the business is ran by a bunch of marks these days. They'll stick you in the front row of a WWE show and you'll get all excited that you've met Triple H, and then eventually they'll eat you up and squash you.

That's why I admired Ricky Knight the other week. He got done over by them and never hid from it. He pretty much came out and said "this is my living, fuck off."

Pretty much this.

Promoters making the same mistakes people made in the 80s. Short term it seems the best deal. Long term its fucking horrible.

Weren't the contracts being offered [and signed] by the wrestlers in the UK Championship tournament being referred to as 'mark contracts' by some within the business at one point, due to the low money figure and control over the bookings, or have I imagined that?

• Paid Members

Pretty much this.

Weren't the contracts being offered [and signed] by the wrestlers in the UK Championship tournament being referred to as 'mark contracts' by some within the business at one point, due to the low money figure and control over the bookings, or have I imagined that?

Thats what they were referred to. One person who signed one as part of their negotiations wanted to meet John Cena before they put pen to paper allegedly (I nicked that of rovert, I'm sorry). They had no clue what it means to maximize their value.

Archived