UFC Fight Night: Lineker vs Dodson - Oct 1st

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Saturday 1st October in Portland, Oregon sees a battle of two mini monsters...

15PK.jpg

FOX SPORTS 1 MAIN CARD

John Lineker vs John Dodson

Will Brooks vs Alex Oliveira

Josh Burkman vs Zak Ottow

Louis Smolka vs Brandon Moreno

FOX SPORTS 1 PRELIMS

Luis Henrique Da Silva vs Joachim Christensen

Hacran Dias vs Andre Fili

Walt Harris vs Shamil Abdurakhimov

Keita Nakamura vs Elizeu Zaleski Dos Santos

FIGHT PASS PRELIMS

Nate Marquardt vs Tamdan McCrory

Jonathan Wilson vs Ion Cutelaba

Curtis Blaydes vs Cody East

Kelly Faszholz vs Ketlen Vieira

Not a stacked card but I quite like it. The main card, anyway.

HurYw.jpg

The main event Lineker vs Dodson pits two of hardest hitting little men in the game against each other. This fight could've easily been a flyweight contenders fight a year or so ago. But both mens' flyweight stints came to an end. Dodson went 0-2 to Mighty Mouse so decided to move up to 135. And Lineker missed the weight at 125 so many times he was basically told by the UFC to fuck off to a division where he can make the weight.

So here we are. I love this fight. I'm a huge fan of 'Hands Of Stone' Lineker. He's one of the most fun fighters to watch in the sport for me. Sadly, I think Dodson is going to win though. Like Lineker, he's got KO power, but he's also got more tools to his overall game than Lineker. Dodson has his wrestling to fall back on here and I'd say he's faster as well. I'd love nothing more than to see Lineker smack Dodson's stupid twatty face in, but I don't think it's going to happen.

93HTQ.jpg

Brooks vs Oliveira is another good fight. Will Brooks was the Bellator lightweight champ and made his UFC debut a successful one with a decision over Ross Pearson in a good fight. Alex Oliveira, to me, is a slight step down from Pearson but he's still a decent fighter. I'm expecting Brooks to win convincingly though. And he'll probably call out Eddie Alvarez again post-fight. He won't get a title shot off beating Cowboy Oliveira but I like the idea of Brooks keep rattling off wins and calling out Eddie every time.

7pQkY.jpg

Smolka vs Pettis is easily ***WAND'S ONE TO WATCH*** on this card. I'm almost as excited about this fight as I am the main event. Smolka is one of the more exciting and dynamic flyweights around. He's had some great performances in the octagon and his fight with Paddy Holohan in Dublin last year is possibly my favourite flyweight fight yet. Sergio Pettis has fallen a bit short of the hype he came in with but he had big shoes to fill, following in the footsteps of his big bro. He's got skills though and if he can upset Smolka it'll put him well and truly on the map. I think their styles should make for a really good fight regardless.

Marquardt vs McCrory could be a darkhorse for FOTN actually as well. Nate The Great's seen much better days. He's been knocking around forever. He's not an old guy but in 'fighter years' (it's like 'dog years' but with gnarled up ears, shit tattoos and worse breath), Nate is an OAP. But he's still got a bit of fight in him and this matchup with the world's hardest nerd McCrory interests me more than it probably should for some reason.

Couldn't give much of a shit about the prelims. Josh Burkman is usually entertaining so depending on who his TBA opponent is, that could be good. The rest I'm not arsed with. The main card is alright by me though. The four fights I'm into - Lineker vs Dodson, Brooks vs Oliveira, Smolka vs Pettis and Marquardt vs McCrory - are all ones I'm really looking forward to.

• Paid Members

I said in the OP that I'd love to see it happen. Very much doubt it will but there's almost nothing I'd love to see more than for Lineker to batter the little annoying, hyperactive, smackable face-having twat all over the cage with his 'hands of stone'.

Gutted about Smolka vs Pettis being off. That's put a proper dent in my enthusiasm for this show now. Is Smolka staying on the card?

• Paid Members

liking the look of this one, interesting main card. I stupidly spoiled last weeks show for myself so definitely on for this one. Won't get to see many Flyweight fights like that main event, two legit KO punchers going at it, excellent fight.

• Paid Members

liking the look of this one, interesting main card. I stupidly spoiled last weeks show for myself so definitely on for this one. Won't get to see many Flyweight fights like that main event, two legit KO punchers going at it, excellent fight.

And that will continue as this ones at Bantamweight.

It really is a good little card though and the top two fights are fantastic for different reasons. I'm excited to see what Will Brooks does next considering how comfortable he's been in the vast majority of his fights and to see whether he's as good as I think he could be.

I personally think he will be fighting for the title within 3 fights. 

• Paid Members

And that will continue as this ones at Bantamweight.

ahhh shit yeh :D regardless, the point stands.

Lineker missed weight again, weighing in at 136.5lbs.

A couple of others missed weight as well, including Alex Oliveira who was 5.5lbs over(!) at 161.5lbs for his fight with Will Brooks, and Hacran Dias who weighed in at 148.5lbs.

• Paid Members

Jesus fuck man. I thought Lineker's days of missing weight were over when he moved up to 135. Love the little bastard but he's taking the piss with this. At this rate he's going to end up fighting as the world's shortest heavyweight and looking like a Brazilian Butterbean. Madness.

• Paid Members

Did anyone else Sky+ this and the prelims didn't record? I even double checked yesterday and they'd moved this from BT Sport 2 to BT Sport 3 so I Sky+'d the prelims and main card again. Got up today and only the main card recorded.

Not that arsed, the prelims weren't tickling my fancy on this one anyway. But I don't want that shit going on when there's prelims I DO give a fuck about.

Anyway, decent little main card.

Loved the main event. Really loved it. Seeing Dodson scurrying away from the mighty stone hands of John Lineker was beautiful. I got what Dodson was going for but it's a risky game to play. If you're going to do the hit and run thing you ideally want to at least be sitting on a solid points lead (Dodson wasn't) and/or make sure your hits are effective and eye catching to the judges before going for your little run. Otherwise it just looks like you're avoiding the fight. Very pleasantly surprised to see Lineker come through this one with a win. It's probably his biggest career win to date actually, just a shame he's gone and missed weight again to dampen it. Really good fight though. Some of the exchanges were nuts and I was amazed they were both still standing.

Shame to see Will Brooks UFC run get derailed so early and under those circumstances. I didn't watch the weigh in for this and had no idea Oliveira had missed weight by 5.5lbs! That's ridiculous. Despite that though it still looks shit for Brooks that he got stopped by a guy who's decent but pretty much a UFC journeyman. I know Brooks hurt his rib early though. I'm sure there's much better to come from him. Just a really crappy day at the office.

Didn't think much of the Burkman vs Ottow fight at all. Burkman has been great fun in this UFC stint despite a shitty win-loss record. I think him being exciting saved him from the chopping block up to now but this loss might see him get released, I reckon. He lost to a nobody who took the fight on short notice, and the fight was cack.

Brandon Moreno put himself well and truly on the map in the opener. Fucking hell. To do that to a guy like Smolka on short notice is impressive. Yet again, a short notice upset. This has been the year for them, hasn't it? Diaz over McGregor, Bisping over Rockhold and now 2 back-to-back fights on this card with Moreno and Ottow coming in late and scoring upsets.

So yeah, a so-so main card with a really fun main event. Oh and I thought Daniel Cormier was really good on commentary. Insightful but not monotonous and he was pretty entertaining to listen to, IMO. Ticked all the boxes.

• Paid Members

Excellent little main card i thoughy, upset city. Just goes to show how unpreďictable this sport is, it's just bedlam.

Moreno was outstanding, sometimes taking a no-win type like Smoklka doesn't pay off.

9 times out of 10 id have Will Brooks beating Cowboy but you can never predict injuries happening, Brooks did well to hang tough but it finally got the better of him. I think this thing needs a rematch, especially given the bad blood.

John Lineker is just a monster. Such a one dimensional approach shouldn't really work in 2016 but it does for Lineker, scary power and an iron chin. It was close but i had Lineker's constant pressure have him pick up rounds, Dodson wasn't doing enough on the retreat to win them for me.

And agree about DC, excellent in the booth.

DC's favouritism towards Dodson in the main event grinded my gears a little, but aside from that he was fine.

Yeah, Dodson's plan of "hit & move" is great, but he seemed to forget to actual hit a lot of the time before he moved, and I was glad to see him lose. They shouldn't encourage that kind of fighting.

Archived