What Culture Pro Wrestling LIVE (Newcastle) - 27th & 28th July

• Paid Members

Perhaps the best example of that being AAA uploading a Lucha Underground showcase match to their Youtube channel, only for it to be pulled for including copyrighted material belonging to.....Lucha Underground.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YouTube monetization has been changed much like Google Adsense. Previously you could get a click on a site that could generate £4, now your lucky if you get 20 or 30p for the same type of ad.

Also when a publisher gets to a certain level that are more likely you have their Adense account revoked and receive no monies. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like bad behaviour from fans at the last WCPW show, Built to Destroy with people throwing beer at the wrestlers.

Not sure if it was people trying to recreate WCW heel promos or just drunk people being d*cks.

Was anyone there?

• 3 months later...
  • Paid Members

Interesting development with WCPW announced on Twitter today, essentially parted ways with all of their current front men/personalities including Adam Blampied who was also 'GM' 

Revealing a new GM at their next event, wonder if that's a sign of cost cutting or product evaluation and new direction? Just thought it was significant they they've featured so heavily and are synonymous with the brand before the wrestling product even existed that they'd all go in a one'er

They're starting their own company up I'd assume, not that I'm a massive fan of any of them (I don't mind the 2 Adams) but they were a huge reason why What Culture was a success,

I don't see them getting rid of them all to cut costs, they probably thought hang about we can be our own bosses now. 

They have grown on me over time , maybe the monetary loss from YouTube meaning them full time didn't make sense to the parent company any more 

but....probably an angle

Well, this is a rock and a hard place situation if ever there was one surely? The 'personalities' are self-indulgent enough to make me sick (plus let's not forget that Pacitti was the guy who spent 'his last £500' on a billboard and a website called Employ Adam) but it really sounds like WhatCulture are a shitty company to work for also. Perhaps further details will follow that shed more light on the circumstances; in the meantime, I can't say I'm surprised to see that they've banded together to create a new venture. Would imagine it'll be a YouTube channel at the very least, but don't expect them to start their own wrestling company.

• Paid Members

Louch mentioned it, and I admit when I posted, it never occurred to me that the whole thing 'could' be an angle.   Looking back, the five of them were tagged in the image of the screenshot statement by WCPW which seems peculiar under the circumstances, so watch this space.

• Paid Members

I wouldn't expect them to start their own company - from what I can gather, they're well aware that it was ridiculous that WCPW even existed, and they just wanted to ride it out as long as they could. I've met one of the WhatCulture guys, and he's smart enough to know that setting up a new promotion to try and win over fans of WCPW would only disappoint people as they wouldn't have a company like WhatCulture behind them willing to sink money into it.

I suspect they're drastically reshaping, or cutting altogether, the wrestling side of the business as it's not proved viable after the change in YouTube ad revenue, and the old crew are going to try and get as much mileage out of their fifteen minutes as possible, which is fair enough. Unless it results in King Ross showing up for companies I actually watch.

The C could just be Comedy. I suspect it is more likely they will focus on the Youtube side of things, with some focus on wrestling, rather than any sort of wrestling promotion.

It has never been clear exactly who was involved in the actual WCPW, the booking etc. On some of the podcasts the Adams et al. implied that they were not involved in the top level decisions and only contributed to the booking. I believe their involvement on screen was more to keep fans of the Youtube videos interested than anything else.

I am not sure why WCPW has garnered so much hatred from fans on this and similar forums, it has introduced a wealth of British talent to a wider audience - Martin Kirby, El Ligero, Joe Hendry etc. Yes the 'personalities' were involved at the beginning, but they had to be - lots of those watching the channel had probably never been to a Britwres show before, but were tuning in to see the characters they knew from the WhatCulture channel; as time went on the personalities were phased out, leaving the real talent at the forefront. Aside from a couple of brief moments, the recent world cup had no interference from them at all. If Whatculture they had just set up a wrestling youtube channel with Kirby vs. Ligero matches on, then I doubt it would have attracted a tenth as many viewers and they would certainly not have developed as quickly to selling 2000+ ticket shows - something that even well established UK promotions only do once a year.

Archived