The Yorkshire Wrestling Discussion Thread

Big Benny HG

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'd be interested to hear how the GRAPPLE show in York went. Apparently drew 220, which is brilliant considering the last GRAPPLE event I went to in Selby last April drew 25. I spied JC Thunder and Seb Stryfe handing out flyers for it around town a couple of weeks ago.

It was a less-than-10-minute walk from my front door (it's the old Toffs/Tru/Tokyo nightclub, now the new home to Fibbers), but unfortunately I was out of town at a 21st birthday party. While it is mainly a trainee show, there are some promising prospects coming out of GRAPPLE alongside some star UK names, and I'd definitely be interested if this was to become a new home for their live shows.

As it happens, while I've seen about 50 live shows all over the country in the last 12 months, of all three wrestling shows that have taken place in my home city in the last year, I haven't been able to make a single one.

I also realise I haven't said anything on here about the last 2 TIDAL shows in Leeds. Let me write up a summary before their 2016 season starts in a couple of weeks...

It was a less-than-10-minute walk from my front door (it's the old Toffs/Tru/Tokyo nightclub, now the new home to Fibbers), but unfortunately I was out of town at a 21st birthday party. While it is mainly a trainee show, there are some promising prospects coming out of GRAPPLE alongside some star UK names, and I'd definitely be interested if this was to become a new home for their live shows.

Next show coming up at York is the same night as their Wrestlemania party on the 3rd April. This one will be the Marty Jones invitational tournament details below:

https://www.facebook.com/events/152599441780728/

I spied JC Thunder and Seb Stryfe handing out flyers for it around town a couple of weeks ago.

You should have said hi :) should be seeing a lot more of us in the lead up to the next one. Keen to have another sell out crowd! 

• 1 month later...

Just announced - Tidal is leaving its current venue of leeds uni after the April show due to the venue "having a different direction" going forward.

Bit of a shame but not too sure on what there is in Leeds for wrestling venues guessing it might be that Przym nightclub?

• Paid Members

Real shame that - as I said at the start of this thread Stylus really is a fantastic venue and very much a part of what makes TIDAL work so well.

Pryzm (the former Oceana) had True Grit wrestling once and hosts boxing/kickboxing/MMA (and even had a 1PW show back in the day) - might be good choice, but the big booths mean sight lines are crap compared to Stylus.

Control out at Cardigan Fields leisure park was the original home to True Grit Wrestling, and BWE since then. It was a cracking venue, but is a bit of a way out of town and drinks are a bit pricey compared to what we've become used to!

I wasn't able to make the TIDAL show last Sunday due to 'real life' commitments elsewhere, but you can bet I'll be there on 13/3 for the penultimate Stylus show, and there's a damn good chance I might decide to choose the final show there on 24/4 over PROGRESS that same day too...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

That match is mental. I love it. An international superstar, a US indy guy, an established UK headliner and a promising rookie.

I've said it again and again, but one of the best things about TIDAL is the random line-ups, matches and combined roster that you genuinely cannot see anywhere else.

And we shouldn't forget Ricochet and Chucky's long history together. They effectively broke in together in the Kentucky area and were each other's most regular opponent during the start of their careers, then colliding again in Chikara and then PWG, and DGUSA/EVOLVE.

No free pudding, but 5 quid pics with Ricochet - Bargain  :thumbsup:

Overall possibly one of the best shows that Tidal has done.

The 4 way match was 10 minutes of fun, no one looked out of place and everyone was over.

Liam Lazarus continued to look like the next big thing in a proper good match vs Joseph Connors

Rampage vs Chris Dickinson was even better than the PCW match they had the other week.

I wasn't able to make the TIDAL show last Sunday due to 'real life' commitments elsewhere, but you can bet I'll be there on 13/3 for the penultimate Stylus show, and there's a damn good chance I might decide to choose the final show there on 24/4 over PROGRESS that same day too...

Isn't the Progress show in April on 10/4/2016?

Archived