Bin Lorry Crashes In Glasgow City Centre - Fatalities Confirmed

Bettencourt

From all reports the first person was hit at Royal Exchange Sq. and the lorry has stopped when it crashed in to the Millenium Hotel.  That's a fair distance on one of the busiest streets in Glasgow for pedestrians.  Latest reports from BBC etc. are 7 fatalities with possibly more to come because they're spread out over a distance.  Most reports seem to indicate the driver being slumped over as the lorry was traveling so that would seem to suggest he's taken ill at the wheel.

What an horrific accident to occur at anytime let alone a few days before Christmas.

Jesus, that is horrible, especially for the driver of the bin lorry whom it seems might make a recovery.

Just be thankful it wasn't the lorry below, as once it would came came to rest every ned within a two mile radius would be trying to crack the tank open and not care about anything else.

3316177575a5696327005l.jpg

• Paid Members

Jesus, that is horrible, especially for the driver of the bin lorry whom it seems might make a recovery.

Just be thankful it wasn't the lorry below, as once it would came came to rest every ned within a two mile radius would be trying to crack the tank open and not care about anything else.

3316177575a5696327005l.jpg

You're a funny fucker, aren't you?

Just reported my first post, prick. Could be members on here's family involved.

Guy I work with wife was shopping in Glasgow today, and her phone was dead when he was ringing. He found her asleep in their flat luckily. Quite a scary hour not knowing if she was ok or not.

Surprised casualty count is so low, very busy stretch of pavement with the Christmas stuff on the square, and the train station.

I work in an office in the city centre and it was really eerie when people started to notice the BBC breaking news and then hear sirens outside.

I walk around the area 3 or 4 times a week, and am struggling to comprehend how the truck got so, far as there's always usually buses and cars going up Queen St and around George Square. I'd have thought some of those vehicles would have stopped the truck in its tracks.

In any case it's horrific.

• Paid Members

My brother missed this by six minutes. Mental twenty minutes after it trying to find out if he was ok. He was.

Some fucker was on Twitter right after it taking photos of dead bodies and posting them on Twitter. Who the fuck does that? Sicko.

ADDED: It could have been so much worse if it managed to plow right through onto Georges Square and right into all the kids at the Carnival. Doesn't bare thinking about really.

Absolutely tragic for this to happen anytime but even moreso just before Christmas. 

I work not far from George Square and had heard the sirens, etc. Pass through Queen Street most lunchtimes and on way home to catch my bus. I had only been there around an hour before as I had taken an early lunch. If I had went at my usual time it doesn't bare thinking about. Just heartbreaking for all of those victims and people caught up in it as at this time of year the area is full of Christmas cheer. An eerie silence last night and this morning instead. Terrible. 

Just crazy how these things can happen so out of the blue.

Horrible stuff.

I was there pretty much in the exact spot at the same time the day before with the wife and kids going to see the Christmas display and rides witin the square itself.

As Baz said it was absolutely mobbed due to this, plus the schools had finished up on the Friday and in addition to the fact the junction where the lorry has came to rest is slap bang on the entrance to Queen Street Station so it would be mega busy regardless of the time of year but obviously even more so at Christmas.

Looking at the pictures it looks as if it's careered down the left hand side of the street before veering back across and coming to rest on the opposite side where the hotel sits. Horrific.

Archived