TWIN PEAKS IS COMING BACK

Devon Malcolm

What about Donna Hayward? Wasn't she Bens offspring? It's easy to forget her and not just because the original actress wanted nothing to do with Twin Peaks after the series ended. Ugh, I hated that whole idea of Evil Coop raping Audrey during a coma, it's just too tacky and reads like bad fanfiction.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I was thinking it could be Donna, though trying to tie that one up didn't make a huge amount of sense in my head - surely Richard wouldn't have used the Horne name, and think of the Hornes as his grandparents, if he were Donna's son?

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Well, that's that then. What do people think?

I'm still in two minds about the last two episodes, they seemed a bit out of nowhere, and I'm still trying to make sense of a lot of it, but overall, I loved it. Some of the most extraordinary TV I've ever seen.

• Paid Members

I knew it would end with a lot of unanswered questions, and was right on that score.  Not the resolution I was hoping for, but it was typical David Lynch, so I can't really complain.

• Paid Members

I felt it was probably overlong. There was a huge amount of stuff that went nowhere, and unless I'm missing hidden clues and hints in those scenes and characters, the series could easily be streamlined to remove all that, and probably be a little easier to follow as a result.

That said, so much of it was about building a particular atmosphere, and a sense of questioning everything, that it might not have hooked me as much as it did without scenes that, from a purely plot-centric view, seem completely superfluous. I wouldn't remove Wally Brando at all, for example.

I do find it hilarious that they managed to find an even more infuriating cliffhanger, knowing we likely won't get another series, than Series 2 ended on, though. My interpretation is something like;

What we're seeing is a battle between the Black Lodge and the White Lodge taking place in the "real" world. The nuclear testing seen in episode 8 created an opening that allowed the Black Lodge greater access to "our" world, facilitated by whatever the Woodsmen are. The frog-locust thing seen in that episode crawling into a sleeping girl's mouth was a physical embodiment of Judy, or some aspect of it, and the girl it crawled into was (perhaps) the young Sarah Palmer - the thing possessing Sarah in the present day is some manifestation of "Judy". Judy created BOB to facilitate whatever Judy's purpose actually is on Earth, and The Fireman created Laura Palmer - or some aspect of Laura Palmer - to counteract that. Judy used BOB to possess Leland Palmer, and through other Black Lodge spirits (Mrs. Chalfont/Tremont), tried to lead Laura Palmer to the Black Lodge and, ultimately, to the point where BOB would kill her, in an attempt to thwart the White Lodge/The Fireman's influence on Earth. Dale Cooper learned of this through his journeys in the Lodge(s), and realised that the only way to stop Judy was to save Laura Palmer - Judy prevented him from doing so, and we're now left with some version of Dale Cooper travelling through countless alternate universes until he finds the one where he can save Laura, like a sort of Lynchian Quantum Leap. Leland Palmer, in the Red Room, instructing Cooper to "Find Laura" was an instruction to do this, while MIKE's "Is it Future, or is it Past?" was a means of alerting Cooper to the fact that he could (perhaps unwittingly?) move through time to save Laura, and the Arm's "is it the story of the little girl who lived down the lane?" was a means of establishing which universe (story) they were in, echoed earlier in the series by Audrey when she became aware she wasn't in the correct place, and Charlie - who I assume to be some kind of Lodge entity - threatening to "end her story" was a threat to remove her from that universe in the same way Judy removed Laura from hers.

All a bit abstract, maybe way off the mark, and leaves 1000 questions unanswered, but who the fuck knows?

EDIT: Thinking about it, I've just reconsidered the Sarah/Judy relationship entirely and now think that Judy managed to get a hold of Sarah by exploiting her grief after Laura's death, so Cooper saving Laura in the past was to prevent Judy getting a hold on Sarah to enter into this world, but in doing so, also removed Laura from the Red Room, as she was never murdered, which meant the guidance given by that version of Laura over the years never happened, resulting in a world where the Black Lodge had an even greater hold on Twin Peaks. Or maybe Cooper really was just back in time, and the Chalfonts/Tremonts did own the house before the Palmers, and Carrie was just a woman who looked a lot like Laura Palmer, or maybe when the Fireman released the image of Laura Palmer into the world, they were scattered throughout time so her influence was always present fighting against Judy/BOB. Who the fuck knows? Damn it, Lynch!

Edited by BomberPat

• 3 years later...

With all the rumours of "Unrecorded Night" and "Wisteria" coming up recently I'm pretty hyped for Lynch's announcement tomorrow, it'll probably end up being something daft and not an announcement of a new show/film but still.. my fingers are crossed.

One fan theory is that Unrecorded Night is a show following those characters we saw in The Roadhouse but I those segments were more about showing how the world has fallen since Coop was trapped.