This is the worst match, I've ever been in...

tiger_rick

I think that
is Austin's own answer to this question. Link isn't the full match unfortunately. Austin has discussed this a couple of times on his podcast when Dave Meltzer has been on as a guest, because Meltz gave it a hilarious minus snowflake rating back in the day so they have a laugh about it.

That's the one that sprung to mind for me. Utterly hopeless. What's more, when I first bought the VHS tape of this, i put the tape in and saw the scaffold standing there as the show opens and the 10 year old me got quite excited. Then they went and skipped the match and I was pretty disappointed. I then watched the rest of the show and felt even more let down. Years later I finally saw the scaffold match and realised the awful card I watched back then must have been even worse on PPV.

• Paid Members
The one thing I remember about the 3 Stages of Hell match, or may have imagined, is the part where HHH was laying flat on his back, and got hit in the face by a glass bottle someone lobbed from the crowd.

You didn't imagine it. I think it was Austin who got hit with it though.

Austin also had a full can of beer lobbed off his head after the Goldberg vs Lesnar match at WrestleMania 20, he tried to catch it and it just bounced right off his head.

The one thing I remember about the 3 Stages of Hell match, or may have imagined, is the part where HHH was laying flat on his back, and got hit in the face by a glass bottle someone lobbed from the crowd.

You didn't imagine it. I think it was Austin who got hit with it though.

Austin also had a full can of beer lobbed off his head after the Goldberg vs Lesnar match at WrestleMania 20, he tried to catch it and it just bounced right off his head.

Yeah, Austin mentioned this on his podcast. He said it looked like he got hit with something hard due to the way he reacted, but in reality it was just a beer cup or something and he only rolled over out of shock/instinct in case there was more coming.

The match with Vega at WM12 is near the top of my list for this. Back then I didn't really know good or bad matches, I only cared about who won, but even I was glad when that one was over.

I don't mind some of the Austin 2002 stuff - thought his match vs Hall was good for its midcard position, and really liked the Insurrection match against Big Show. Loved the Flair no punches match and haven't seen the Flair/Show handicap match but recall thinking it was decent enough. The Backlash Undertaker match was awful though. I also really dislike the Rock Bottom buried alive match against Taker where Austin had a nasty elbow injury IIRC but it was a really boring brawl, also the 3 way on the UK No Mercy match in 1999...

• Paid Members

Don't know about worst ever but I thought the Austin/HHH vs Undertaker/Kane match from Backlash 2001 was pretty shit. Just remember it feeling like it went on for about a week. And considering it was meant to be a pretty heated feud and Austin had been battering Lita and all sorts going in, it was just an average and very long normal tag match. Not the violent full-on fight you expected.

I'd say the three way with Benoit and Jericho should be up there, though it was more down to the booking rather than the fault of any of the three involved

Considering the talent involved it was insane that it was set up so badly, Austin was the underdog despite being heel, looked far stronger than the other two including overcoming outside interference then the weird finish with the anti-climactic pin on Benoit

Bag of shite but still nowhere as near as bad as the aforementioned interminable three stages of hell match with Triple H, remember staying up to watch NWO '01 and about halfway through that match questioning why the fuck I watched wrestling, thankfully King Kurt screaming "I'll break your fucking ankle" at Rock in the main event got me back into it

Archived