School reunions

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Got invited to one of these. The reactions on facey (that's what they call it!) are pretty much "come on, lets get the band back together" type stuff. But I was always the Vinnie Vincent of my year, so I'm not really fancying going to get the unmasked version of KISS on the road again. I dont fancy playing empty halls at this stage of the game. The only advantage is seeing if I could take the lass I used to fancy back to mine, but in reality I've probably got as much chance now as I had then. And I dont really fancy her anymore, but it'd be like Henrik Larson getting a Premier League winners medal age 37. That achievement alone might get me off the anti-depressants. We always said when we left school, you keep in contract with your real mates and lose contact with the dickheads, and that hasn't changed.

Anyone ever went to one of these? I'm probably going to give it a miss.

Urgh, I genuinely can't think of many worse thing than attending one of those. If I was a super successful guy, with loadsa money, and a big titted Sweidish wife then yes. However I'm a depressed guy who has none of those things. JUST IMAGINE THE QUESTIONS! I guarantee a lot of the people will attend just to show off how well they're doing in life.

• Moderators

People try to organize one, but it never works as we're all too young. At 29 you still keep in touch withe the folk you got on with as you've not been gone that long.

• Paid Members

I just ignore all of the requests. Even though school was years ago, some of the things they did to me was vicious (I was the school fat kid. Not now!). Not going to be a hypocrite and go back and have a cuddle with them.

• Paid Members

I already see all the people that I went to school with that I want to see. If I wanted to see the ones I don't want to see I could just hit any number of shitty Tottenham clubs on a Friday night.

• Paid Members

Our school did it weirdly - we had a reunion about 9 months after the end of 6th form, which was basically just a buffet with wine - I don't drink wine, I can't drink wine, and I shouldn't drink wine. I got bladdered, cursed out a bunch of people I had always hated, found out that the girl with thick legs who I'd always liked a bit also hated everyone, got off with her, and then woke up at home the next morning with no memory of getting there. Good times; I was a right old drunken bridge burner back then. I assume I probably would be now, if I was much of a drinker.

My sister's been invited to one recently, but I can't see the point in doing one of them for our school as it's the sort of town where everyone stays in touch with the people they got on with and runs into the people they didn't every other weekend/bank holiday in the local dives anyway. Also, the fit girls from our school have all aged horribly. School reunions, although I know they've been knocking around here longer, are filed alongside proms in my bin entitled 'cheesy, pointless American shit'.

• Paid Members
My sister's been invited to one recently, but I can't see the point in doing one of them for our school as it's the sort of town where everyone stays in touch with the people they got on with and runs into the people they didn't every other weekend/bank holiday in the local dives anyway. Also, the fit girls from our school have all aged horribly. School reunions, although I know they've been knocking around here longer, are filed alongside proms in my bin entitled 'cheesy, pointless American shit'.

What else is in there? Because we had TWO fucking proms at our school - they were memorable, but what a lot of shite. I got stung for being in a crowd that set off fire extinguishers at Nottingham University's Portland Building, and got caught with the old "what time is it?" trick, where you throw drink all over yourself checking the time. Ended the night dancing to a fire alarm, thinking it was a particularly banging remix of "Higher State of Consciousness".

Sweet 16 parties, baby showers and uni graduation 'balls'.

I hate all of this. Especially sweet 16 parties. That's probably down to that god awful MTV show. And when did a leaver's meal turn into a prom? I finished school in 2002 and it was still a good old fashioned leaver's meal back then.

I'm not sure I'd do a school reunion. As Butch said, people are too young. I'm only 28 and am still good friends with some of the people I went school with. I suppose there might be novelty value in another 20 years or so, but things like facebook ruin the concept of going to one. Half the fun of a school reunion would be seeing what people have been up to since leaving, but since you can find out just by looking at someone's profile it doesn't have the same fun factor. If there ever was a fun factor going to a reunion.

Archived