Bucky boy on Take Me Out

Sheffbag

I'm not a massive fan of the Scot scene, I find there are a lot of really really Indilicious guys up there but Ian is spot on with the job Mark Dallas is doing with getting his product rammed down the throats of everyone. My premium concern is whether the guys up there have the talent to appeal to a mainstream audience. Except Grado of course, Grado is Brown fucking Bread.

I'm not a massive fan of the Scot scene, I find there are a lot of really really Indilicious guys up there but Ian is spot on with the job Mark Dallas is doing with getting his product rammed down the throats of everyone. My premium concern is whether the guys up there have the talent to appeal to a mainstream audience. Except Grado of course, Grado is Brown fucking Bread.

Given that BBC will be airing a documentary on ICW shortly, I guess we'll find out about the mainstream appeal. Although given the amount of non-wrestling fans who already attend I'm confident the appeal is there. Your post is a little disparaging about the Scottish scene to be honest, for me there's no doubt that the talent in Scotland is at least on a par with the rest of the UK.

Given that BBC will be airing a documentary on ICW shortly, I guess we'll find out about the mainstream appeal. Although given the amount of non-wrestling fans who already attend I'm confident the appeal is there. Your post is a little disparaging about the Scottish scene to be honest, for me there's no doubt that the talent in Scotland is at least on a par with the rest of the UK.

Unsurprisingly with that comment your location is in Scotland. There are some Scottish guys I do rate if I'm honest but as a whole if I come across as disparaging its because Im not a fan. I've mentioned Grado, I also love Damien O'Connor, but for the most part I don't think Scotland are on a par and I think the amount of English guys going up there compared to the Scots coming down is a good measure of that.

There may well be a lot of non-wrestling fans going along to the shows and thats a good thing, for the record, I'm not against Mark Dallas doing business and squeezing everything he can out of the business. However, they are still very much an adults promotion and that won't translate well to the mainstream because the core fanbase of wrestling has always and will always be kids. A couple of Jack Jester deathmatches and more than a few parents won't be happy with their kids watching and ICW starts to get bad press.

ICW isn't, and never will be, aimed at kids so suggesting parents would get upset is silly. Mainstream exposure can be achieved to a core audience of 18-34 years olds I think and that's the market they'll go for. They attract non-wrestling fans in that demographic already and the documentary may well pique the interest of even more. Taking a mainstream tv show such as Shameless as an example, that was aimed at an adult audience and was critically acclaimed for the first few series. It got coverage on a host of media platforms, including pre-watershed shows with cast interviews etc. That didn't change the fact it was marketed for an adult audience and I don't see any reason why ICW cant achieve mainstream exposure in the same way.

In terms of the talent in Scotland I think it's a case of catching up with England. There's no questions England had a far stronger talent pool 5 years ago but the emergence of guys like Noam Dar, Joe Coffey, Grado and even more recently Kenny Williams and Lewis Girvan demonstrates a vast improvement on the talent being developed and emerging in Scotland. Coupled with guys who have over 10 years experience like Fight Club, Wolfgang, Lionheart, Jack Jester and I would say that the 5 top promotions (SWA, PWE, PBW, BCW and ICW) could rival most shows in England in terms of quality, excluding the shows that are more import heavy.

ICW isn't, and never will be, aimed at kids so suggesting parents would get upset is silly. Mainstream exposure can be achieved to a core audience of 18-34 years olds I think and that's the market they'll go for. They attract non-wrestling fans in that demographic already and the documentary may well pique the interest of even more. Taking a mainstream tv show such as Shameless as an example, that was aimed at an adult audience and was critically acclaimed for the first few series. It got coverage on a host of media platforms, including pre-watershed shows with cast interviews etc. That didn't change the fact it was marketed for an adult audience and I don't see any reason why ICW cant achieve mainstream exposure in the same way.

In terms of the talent in Scotland I think it's a case of catching up with England. There's no questions England had a far stronger talent pool 5 years ago but the emergence of guys like Noam Dar, Joe Coffey, Grado and even more recently Kenny Williams and Lewis Girvan demonstrates a vast improvement on the talent being developed and emerging in Scotland. Coupled with guys who have over 10 years experience like Fight Club, Wolfgang, Lionheart, Jack Jester and I would say that the 5 top promotions (SWA, PWE, PBW, BCW and ICW) could rival most shows in England in terms of quality, excluding the shows that are more import heavy.

There are guys in that list I dont rate at all. I cant stand Lionheart for example, rotten, and I dont get Noam Dar at all, sorry. Thats not to say that I hate all of the guys north of the border out of some kind of spite but I really think Scotland is overrated by the fans up there.

The reason that ICW will struggle for the kind of mainstream exposure is that its a wrestling promotion and will always have the associated stigma that comes with it. Shameless is a Drama/Comedy series, comparing it to ICW is like comparing Babestation to a Lager advert. They may have a similar target audience but one is always going to be more socially frowned upon.

Can I just stress that although I really dont enjoy the Scottish scene I really do have no issue with ICW having a real go at getting their name out there and dragging as many people to their product as possible, I very much enjoy a good promoter doing his best and suceeding. My primary concern is this, when ICW were on TV before I hated it. The in-ring wasn't very good and the program was very presumptuous in how it presented storylines to people who had never seen/heard of ICW beforehand, in particular I recall an Adam Shame/Chris Renfrew storyline (I also do very much like and rate Adam Shame incidently). Mainstream exposure shows you for everything, warts and all, and if TNA cant escape the wrath of people noticing faults then ICW stand little chance.

Archived