Grand Theft Auto: UKFF Stories

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I finally remembered to do this thread - and as suggested by someone, you could extend it to include other Rockstar games as well if you want, but I've never played any of those.

But yeah, I'm replaying San Andreas at the moment. I did the three Chiliad races - the first one is definitely the easiest and I realised I could win it just holding down the pedal button and not trying to accelerate at all, thus not plunging off the fucking mountain. The second one I actually fell off the mountain at one point, fell off my bike on another, and still won albeit with a last-gasp sprint past the other three. The third one is fine - just crawl along the bit at the start with the platforms and the rest of the way you can mostly sprint and win. They weren't as hard as I remembered.

The same with Supply Lines. It took me a few goes and the plane is a twat to control but I did it on about my eight go? And on the go I did it it was pretty comfortable. I'm not blowing my own trumpet as I'm crap at games generally (aside from Cabal, I'm awesome on that) but I really didn't find them too tough.

More GTA memories and observations!

• Paid Members

I go through a spell every couple of years or so when I dig out the PS2 and go back through GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas, often trying to 100% them and spending far, far too much time on them.

The GTA III map I almost know completely off by heart, especially Portland. I can even remember most of the hidden package and stunt jump locations at a push. Even now it's still tremendous fun to play. Chatterbox is probably my favourite radio station throughout the entire history of GTA Soundtracks, with Emotion on Vice City coming a close second.

On that note, I attach, for you, the station in it's entirety: "LIBERTY CITY COCKS RULE!!"

Vice City has by far the best overall soundtrack going though. I knew some of the songs already, but ever since it's release I've had a real appreciation for 80's music. V-Rock is superb and I even bought the CD for it from HMV. Also, the voice-cast is a cracking array of talent from top to bottom, and Ricardo Diaz is just an absolute legend. If anything, he's not in it for long enough because you have to bump him off mid-way through :(

San Andreas is a monster to take on, and 100%'ing it will leave you pretty drained. I think they overdid it a bit in that regard, but the customization aspect and the gang-warfare breathed new life into the series. Also, I remember so many rumours about things like Bigfoot being in the woods and various other goings on around the map. People were going on HUNTS in the woods and typing up diaries about camping in a spot for days to get a glimpse of him, waiting for misty days as he was more prone to appear then, or something.

• Paid Members

The amazing thing about that Bigfoot thing is that they have, deliberately or otherwise, made it almost as big a legend in the gaming world as the original Bigfoot itself! There are hundreds of videos about it on YouTube. It was brilliant work by Rockstar.

• Paid Members

Good thread, I'll have plenty to add when I sit down and think properly. But for now:

I finally remembered to do this thread - and as suggested by someone, you could extend it to include other Rockstar games as well if you want, but I've never played any of those.

No way! Surely you've played Red Dead? If not, you must!

• Paid Members

I bought it for my brother for Christmas a few years ago and I loved the look of it when I watched him on it, but never got round to getting it myself. Clearly I will do so very soon, perhaps after I've finished San Andreas.

• Paid Members

I still give the first one a blast, with 6 levels over three maps and some great fun missions I still get a massive kick from it to just pick up and play.

The San Andreas two are easily the best for me through, with the Liberty City missions being to easy and never being able to find my way around Vice City for some fucking reason.

The joy of finding a tank too was just super fun.

I did try replaying GTA: Vice City a few months back but the driving felt like a massive chore and I could see it spoiling the memories so I gave up and fucked it off.

• Paid Members

I still remember where the tank is in the first GTA, and I haven't played it since the nineties. Just to the right of the Golden Gate-inspired bridge, walk up seemingly into the water on an invisible path, and presto- the tank on a little island!

I spent hours playing the first one, until I bought WWF Attitude. It was completely groundbreaking for me, though. I loved having freedom in games, which is why I loved the old SNES Zelda game. I didn't join the PS/Saturn/N64 generation until very late on, kinda knocked gaming on the head for a couple of years, but I remember playing Die Hard Trilogy round some distant relatives and thinking how good the driving around the city bit was and thought how good that would be as its own game, just roaming and causing havoc.

I had this urge for that kind of game, whether it existed or not. Then I played Carmageddon, and that was close, in the sense that you weren't restricted to a track and you could collect power-ups and run people over. Then a couple of my friends showed my Grand Theft Auto. Truth be told, it looked shit graphically (especially when Lara Croft and Solid Snake are fucking about in 3D), but the freedom you had pulled me in straight away. Plus it looked so much like APB. I was hooked on GTA. I loved the music, the rocket launcher, running over a group of Hari Krishna (GOURANGA), nicking police cars, doing j-turns in a Banshee and punching random strangers. I never actually did any missions, though.

• Paid Members
The San Andreas two are easily the best for me through, with the Liberty City missions being to easy and never being able to find my way around Vice City for some fucking reason.

Same. I could never, ever beat the last mission where you had to work for the Rastas. The missions were too tough for my patience to crack. There's a couple of standout missions though, like one where you have 60 seconds to get a guy with a bomb in his car to the police headquarters to blow it up (brother Leroy, I think?) and just before the bomb goes off, the text reads:

"DEATH TO BABYLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!"

Speaking of the Vice City missions, I love the boss you work for in the first one (Deever) and his incredibly savage tongue. His cutscene at the end is genuinely frightening.

"You listen to me to two-bit cock sucking motherf***er! I hear you're working behind my back. If that's true, I'm gunna f*** you like a crazy bitch! Now get the f*** outta my sight!!"

Sorry Deever :(

• Paid Members

If we're talking favourite missions, I'd say the one in GTA 2 where you pick up a bus of Hare Krishnas and drive them to a hot dog processing factory and force them in is still one of my favourites. Not that it was a spectacular mission or anything, but it was one I fondly remember.

In terms of radio stations, VCPR with Maurice Chavez is probably still my favourite. Me and my mates could pretty much recite entire segments from it for a long time.

I find it difficult to play the games before San Andreas because the controls are different. Currently working my way through San Andreas. Find doing triathlons very relaxing and did the burglary mission solely to get infinite sprint, such was my abysmal cycling. Now I've maxed out cycling and it seems a bit moot to have now. Something about jogging up Missionary Hill just makes me let go of my problems...

• Paid Members

It is definitely tricky going back and playing the old games once you have played San Andreas, I had real issues going back to GTA3.

I like the freight train side-mission actually. I know it takes quite a long time and it's really simple, but it's quite a relaxing mission as well with all the changing camera angles, plus you get $50,000 for doing them, which can't be bad.

Archived