The NBA Discussion Thread

Art Vandelay

• 2 weeks later...

Kawhi got traded to the Raptors 

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24128608/zach-lowe-kawhi-leonard-trade-spurs-raptors-nba

https://mobile.twitter.com/wojespn/status/1019567705521655809

He of course wanted to go to the Lakers but unless the trade is vetoed over a failed medical (Toronto apparently may even waive that formality which is risky as he only played 9 games last season) its likely he will have suit up for the Raptors. There is a rumour going around that he has no interest in playing there but if he plays hardball there I imagine he'll be fined etc and be in breach of his contract. I believe if Kawhi plays for a year and doesn't sign a new deal its a one and done & he can enter free agency. So maybe if he looks at things in that perspective its not so bad. 

Edited by Really Big Shoe

• 2 weeks later...

That's disappointing. I don't have League Pass so was watching games on BT. Eleven Sports are favorites to land the new NBA TV rights, unless Sky Sports get involved. I believe the NBA made $6 Billion last year so they are having a resurgence in popularity. Ideally when you have the UK games you want as many people as possible to see it. I can't see BBC, ITV, Channel 4 & 5 bidding for the rights but they need a presence on UK TV to keep growing the fanbase again. I think Channel 4 had a highlights show in the 90s so a similar one today would be good too. As for League Pass are any games region locked or is that just applicable for the US?

2 hours ago, Really Big Shoe said:

That's disappointing. I don't have League Pass so was watching games on BT. Eleven Sports are favorites to land the new NBA TV rights, unless Sky Sports get involved. I believe the NBA made $6 Billion last year so they are having a resurgence in popularity. Ideally when you have the UK games you want as many people as possible to see it. I can't see BBC, ITV, Channel 4 & 5 bidding for the rights but they need a presence on UK TV to keep growing the fanbase again. I think Channel 4 had a highlights show in the 90s so a similar one today would be good too. As for League Pass are any games region locked or is that just applicable for the US?

Nothing is region locked or blacked out in the UK on League Pass. Plus you get the 24/7 NBA TV channel.

It will be interesting to see how it works if Eleven do get it. It’s an online streaming service rather than a channel, so I don’t see why you’d opt for that over League Pass if you’re only interested in the NBA.

Cheers for that, will give it a look. The NBA finals are playoffs arent included from what I've read if they are nationally televised and it's just audio streams.

quick check of the NBA.com shows that only audio service is allowed on NBA League Pass for the playoffs. All playoff games are broadcast nationally on ABC, TNT, ESPN or NBA TV. ... That is most likely the case for the playoffs, hence only audio is available.

13 minutes ago, Really Big Shoe said:

Cheers for that, will give it a look. The NBA finals are playoffs arent included from what I've read if they are nationally televised and it's just audio streams.

That only applies to the US. In the UK, absolutely everything is on League Pass. There's no restrictions. It's how I watch the league every season.

Since it's the off season and there's not much news to talk about right now...what is everyone's favourite basketball movies?

I watched White Men Can't Jump at the weekend again. I've seen it countless times, but I still absolutely love it. That whole 20 minute opening scene is just amazing. The setting, music, trash talk...I love everything about it.