The NBA Discussion Thread

Art Vandelay

Agreed. Also, don't Wade and Rondo hate each other? I'm sure Butler and Wade don't like each other much either. What a trainwreck that is going to be. But I'm probably going to watch it! :D

Did you see Durant getting introduced by the Warriors yesterday? Still seems so weird, especially seeing the jersey.

You are joking about the Bulls, right? Like many others I'm amazed they've done this. I love D Wade and he's been a fantastic player over the past 13 years but the Bulls signing him was the dumbest thing they've done since spending big on a washed up Big Ben Wallace in 06. It seems to me they thought about tanking and then got cold feet and panicked and spunked their load on Wade. Which would have been amazing, in 2010. Tom Thibodeau must be laughing his nuts off. They've now got the worst 3 point shooting team in the entire organisation, the floor spacing is going to be a mess, they're chasing 44 wins and 8th seed if they're lucky. Not one of their starters shoots over 35% from deep, even worse they've got Rajon fucking Rondo as their starting point guard on a guaranteed 2 year deal. Honestly, you couldn't make this up, this is Knicks levels of incompetence. 

The real winner here is Lebron James, again. Lost in the mix of all this, the Cavs picked up Mike Dunleavy. Another sharpshooter to add to their ranks. They've got nothing to sweat in the East, again.

Also, fuck Kevin Durant. What a bitch move that was, i hope the Spurs meet them and send them packing.

The Bulls had to do something to placate their fanbase. Signing one of their own with a known pedigree and with 3 rings to boot doesn't really sound like a dumb move to me. Did they pay too much, yes, but with the amount of jersey's they'll shift and with increased ticket sales and such they'll not go broke with the deal. I mean without a D-Wade I don't see many Chicagoians turning up just to see Jimmy Butler. I mean he's a very good player but he's not a elite level franchise type player like a Dwayne Wade is. Rajon Rondo at one time was one of the most coveted point guards in the NBA and whilst he has fallen from grace if, and if it's a big if, he gets his head on straight and everything does gel together and that was my point. I didn't say we should gift wrap the NBA championship and send it to the United Center. It's a similar scenario in New York where the Knicks have gone for an all or nothing scenario where it could implode along the way if D-Rose gets injured etc. But it's another case where if it works, they could make an impact in the East. The Eastern conference is one which unlike the West, it's hyper competitive but if the Bulls and Knicks do step up and again if's a huge if, then Cleveland will have some competition and it won't be a cakewalk for them. Thats the point I was making. As for KD, he wants a ring and I'm sure in a similar position most folks would go to the #1 place they will achieve that goal. If he had re-signed with OKC and they fell again in the Western conference finals he'd be known as a nearly man again. So whilst I'd have liked to have seen him and Russ together a little longer in Oklahoma and try to push the Warriors out of the picture, I don't begrudge him moving to the Bay Area in search of a NBA championship. So I wouldn't call it a bitch move, more of a the smartest move he could possibly make right now. He wants a ring and outside of the Cavs the #1 place you'd have a chance of achieving one is with the Warriors. But who knows, maybe the GSW will implode again in the finals and Cleveland have their name on the Championship again. They might not even make the finals either if a dark horse team derails them along the way. It's been a crazy post season so far so nothing will surprise me in the NBA next season.

• Paid Members

Dunleavy is a fantastic move. I was fingers crossed with hope the Pacers could snatch him up as hes excatly what we need.

Birdman is good for what they need as well. 2 under the radar signings there

Nah, Durant has pulled a Drexler on OKC there. No one remembers his championship ring with the Rockets, just his Blazer years. Same thing will happen to Durant when he becomes 2nd or 3rd option on offense. 

Al Horford was a great pick up by the Celtics, I reckon they'll get a top 4 seed, they've got a solid core. The Hawks I'm not too sure on, if the old Howard is still in there somewhere they have a good chance to get in the top seeds again, but they let Teague go and have handed the keys to Schroeder, who I'm still not sold on. He's got a great potential, but I just don't see it meshing.

Regarding the Bulls, I get that they needed to sell some jerseys etc, but really they should have hit the reset button this summer. So far, Hoijberg has been a horrible appointment, they should have let him build his own team if they were intent on keeping him. Most Bulls writers are dreading covering them next season, it's a mess in the windy city. I'm well aware Rajon Rondo  was one of the best PG's in the league 4 or 5 years ago, but so much has changed since then. Small ball rules and if you can't shoot from three, as a guard you better play all-star defense or you're pretty much worthless in the current NBA.  There's a reason Rondo only had interest from the Bulls (aside from the fact he's a nutter!), he can't create his own shot, and he has no shot.

Edited by MoistVaj

Big Tim's announced his retirement now:

TIM DUNCAN ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT
Five-Time Champion Concludes 19-Year Career in San Antonio
Posted: Jul 11, 2016

SAN ANTONIO (July 11, 2016) – San Antonio Spurs forward Tim Duncan today announced that he will retire after 19 seasons with the organization. Since drafting Duncan, the Spurs won five championships and posted a 1,072-438 regular season record, giving the team a .710 winning percentage, which is the best 19-year stretch in NBA history and was the best in all of the NBA, NFL, NHL and MLB over the last 19 years.

Originally selected by the Spurs as the first overall pick in the 1997 NBA Draft, Duncan helped San Antonio reach the playoffs in each of his 19 seasons and became the only player in league history to start and win a title in three different decades. The Silver and Black won at least 50 games the last 17 seasons, the longest streak in league history, and posted at least a .600 winning percentage in each of Duncan’s 19 seasons, an all-time record for most consecutive seasons with a .600 win percentage in the four major U.S. sports.

The 40-year-old Duncan comes off of a season in which he led the NBA in Defensive RPM (5.41) and became just the third player in league history to reach 1,000 career wins, as well as the only player to reach 1,000 wins with one team. He helped the Spurs to a franchise-best 67-15 record and also became one of two players in NBA history to record at least 26,000 points, 15,000 rebounds and 3,000 blocks in his career (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar).

Duncan totaled 15 All-NBA Team selections (tied for most all-time) and 15 NBA All-Defensive Team honors (most all-time), garnering both honors in the same season 15 times, the most in league history. The 1998 Rookie of the Year was named NBA MVP twice (2002, 2003) and NBA Finals MVP three times (1999, 2003 and 2005).

Duncan totaled 15 All-NBA Team selections (tied for most all-time) and 15 NBA All-Defensive Team honors (most all-time), garnering both honors in the same season 15 times, the most in league history. The 1998 Rookie of the Year was named NBA MVP twice (2002, 2003) and NBA Finals MVP three times (1999, 2003 and 2005).

In his NBA career, the 15-time All-Star appeared in a total of 1,392 games and averaged 19.0 points, 10.8 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 2.17 blocks in 34.0 minutes. He shot .506 (10,285-20,334) from the floor and .696 (5,896-8,468) from the free throw line.

The Wake Forest graduate is the Spurs all-time NBA leader in total points (26,496), rebounds (15,091), blocked shots (3,020), minutes (47,368) and games played (1,392), as well as third in assists (4,225). In NBA history, Duncan is fifth all-time in double-doubles (841) and blocks, sixth in rebounding and 14th in scoring.

As the only player in NBA history to play over 9,000 career minutes in the playoffs, Duncan ranks first all-time in postseason double-doubles (164) and blocks (568), third in rebounds (2,859) and sixth in points (5,172). For his career, Duncan appeared in 251 postseason contests (second all-time) and averaged 20.6 points, 11.4 rebounds and 3.0 assists in 37.3 minutes while shooting .501 (1,975-3,939) from the field.

Along with teammates Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, Duncan is part of the NBA record for most wins by a trio in both the regular season (575) and postseason (126). Duncan and Gregg Popovich have the most wins by a player-coach duo in NBA history (1,001) and the Spurs forward finishes his career in San Antonio as one of just three players in NBA history, along with John Stockton and Kobe Bryant, to spend 19 seasons with one franchise.

Credit: http://www.nba.com/spurs/tim-duncan-announces-retirement

Art I did write a lengthy post that fucked up when submitting about the east, the jist of it was I feel it's going to more contested in the 2nd spot between Celtics and Raptors. Although they've just added sully (good addition for the money) they're one of the few teams to not really add anything significant in the East. Prior to last year. Knicks is a total gamble. If they somehow stay injury free they'll do well, otherwise it could be horrid.

Tim's departure was reall classy. Much like his career.

Edited by seanz25

Celtics and the Clippers rumoured to be discussing a trade to send Blake Griffin to Boston for a first round pick, Avery Bradley and either Marcus Smart or Jae Crowder.

I can understand why the Clips would do this as it would help them more on the perimeter, but I'm not sure it's a great move for Boston unless Blake commits to staying there beyond the year.

I can't see us getting Blake unless he commits to longer than a year. There was stuff going about regarding Westbrook possibly being open to us once KD confirmed he was off but the lack of committing more than a year was an instant no-no to Danny.

With the Blake deal there's also talk of Pierce coming back for a final year in Boston to. Love that guy and for one year I'm not adverse to it if the trade makes sense. Would hate to lose Bradley mind. He's a real sleeper player, underrated IMO.