The NBA Discussion Thread

Art Vandelay

No surprises really, he's spent time over his career spouting stuff online about having a dislike for players jumping on the bandwagon of successful teams and how he wishes to be the #1 guy on a team after always being #2 or #3. He's blown the opportunity of being the #1 guy at the Celtics and more importantly has delivered a giant middle finger to OKC by joining the team who's just knocked them out of the playoffs after being 3-1 up. 

I know in the end it comes down to winning a championship ring, but this is the worst way for him to go about it imo.

As others have said, the fact that he's joined a team that OKC should have beaten last season is what sucks. I mean, if Durant had gone back to OKC then I'd have put them right there to win the title after the other moves they've made in the last week. This is just a cheap route to a title. The Warriors just turned full blown heel and I can't wait to watch them lose.

Also, do we think Westbrook now gets traded? Or demands a trade?

Sport is about business and legacy, and this is a strong move for both. Warriors are going to be damn near unstoppable.

As much as I agree, Sports is also about competition and this Warriors super-team really does kinda put a stop to that point at least in the latter stages of the season.

As for Westbrook, someone rightfully pointed out on RealGM with a trade for him he could potentially just walk next year right? You'd have to likely give-up a lot for him to move. Is it worth losing valuable long-term assets potentially for a 1 year boost?

Sport is about business and legacy, and this is a strong move for both. Warriors are going to be damn near unstoppable.

As much as I agree, Sports is also about competition and this Warriors super-team really does kinda put a stop to that point at least in the latter stages of the season.

As for Westbrook, someone rightfully pointed out on RealGM with a trade for him he could potentially just walk next year right? You'd have to likely give-up a lot for him to move. Is it worth losing valuable long-term assets potentially for a 1 year boost?

If it was a team he wanted to go to though...?

He's now the #1 guy in OKC and he can use that leverage to his advantage. Paul Pierce been tweeting about getting Russ to the Cavs but they have Kyrie at Point Guard and unless he's willing to be a backup PG as it's likely Tyrone Lue would want to play Russell Westbrook as starting point guard and I don't think Kyrie Irving would agree to limited minutes and being a backup where he could go to a team and be in the starting line up. Unless OKC trades Westbrook for Irving but again you'd be giving up a good player who will elevate his game to an already finished product. I think Irving will get better and playing alongside LeBron and now with a ring you have that winning mentality ingrained within you now. I think if Cleveland want to create a dynasty you use LeBron as the foundation but you must have young talented players to complement him and when LeBron leaves/retires you have Irving to step in his shoes to be the franchise player. But to answer the question, I'm saying right now OKC will do everything in their power to keep their most valuable team asset now. He might demand a trade but that depends on what the Thunders assurances are. If the promised him KD would stay etc then he'll be rightly be questioning his future with Oklahoma. But on the other hand they might have already had this deal worked out and he's fine with the new replacements. As it's been noted he's a free agent after next season and I'd imagine his value will skyrocket if he leads OKC into the playoffs on his own merits. As for the KD to the GSW deal, I'm still figuring out how he will fit into the mix since it's essentially the Splash Brothers show with guest appearances by Draymond and co. GSW should have gone with a solid defensive minded player and let Thompson and Curry focus on getting points. In OKC Durant is the guy along with Westbrook but now he's the 3rd, arguably the 4th important player on the roster. He could be in the Chris Bosh position of their Big 3 where his game suffers and his points etc go down as he transitions into more of a team player role. I don't know how this will affect the whole team dynamic either do the Splash Brothers incorporate Durant into the offense, do they give up their shots to him, do they play more in the paint instead of on the perimeter?. Should be interesting for sure to see how this all plays out. It could be a masterstroke on the Warriors behalf or it could work out as being a big mistake if they don't gel.

Pau Gasol has signed a 2 year deal for the Spurs, Yahoo Sports stating that Big Tim is close to retiring, I wonder where that will leave Manu and Tony?. Are San Antonio in rebuild mode now meaning do they trade Parker and Ginobilli?.

Manu has said he's back for another season. I think he'll retire after this one. It's interesting that this KD move could see more teams choose to go into rebuild, but I hope that's not the case. Next year's draft though, is supposedly one of the most loaded in years. I don't want to see a race to the bottom though.

I actually think that the East is going to be brilliant this season. It's gotten so much better in the off season.

Will be sad to see Tim go if he does retire, but he's had a great career. One of the best and a true class act.

He's now the #1 guy in OKC and he can use that leverage to his advantage. Paul Pierce been tweeting about getting Russ to the Cavs but they have Kyrie at Point Guard and unless he's willing to be a backup PG as it's likely Tyrone Lue would want to play Russell Westbrook as starting point guard and I don't think Kyrie Irving would agree to limited minutes and being a backup where he could go to a team and be in the starting line up. Unless OKC trades Westbrook for Irving but again you'd be giving up a good player who will elevate his game to an already finished product. I think Irving will get better and playing alongside LeBron and now with a ring you have that winning mentality ingrained within you now. I think if Cleveland want to create a dynasty you use LeBron as the foundation but you must have young talented players to complement him and when LeBron leaves/retires you have Irving to step in his shoes to be the franchise player. But to answer the question, I'm saying right now OKC will do everything in their power to keep their most valuable team asset now. He might demand a trade but that depends on what the Thunders assurances are. If the promised him KD would stay etc then he'll be rightly be questioning his future with Oklahoma. But on the other hand they might have already had this deal worked out and he's fine with the new replacements. As it's been noted he's a free agent after next season and I'd imagine his value will skyrocket if he leads OKC into the playoffs on his own merits. As for the KD to the GSW deal, I'm still figuring out how he will fit into the mix since it's essentially the Splash Brothers show with guest appearances by Draymond and co. GSW should have gone with a solid defensive minded player and let Thompson and Curry focus on getting points. In OKC Durant is the guy along with Westbrook but now he's the 3rd, arguably the 4th important player on the roster. He could be in the Chris Bosh position of their Big 3 where his game suffers and his points etc go down as he transitions into more of a team player role. I don't know how this will affect the whole team dynamic either do the Splash Brothers incorporate Durant into the offense, do they give up their shots to him, do they play more in the paint instead of on the perimeter?. Should be interesting for sure to see how this all plays out. It could be a masterstroke on the Warriors behalf or it could work out as being a big mistake if they don't gel.

I don't really see the ball-sharing thing being an issue. They appear to be a pretty unselfish team, so adding KD shouldn't be a factor.

I hope that OKC are still great because Russ vs. KD in the Playoffs will be craaaazy!

Oh and you can book OKC-Warriors for a Christmas Day game!

Word going round summer league Orlando press box yesterday was Russell wants a trade ASAP. Couple of teams interested, although his lack of willingness to commit beyond a year so far is gonna dampen that. All for what it's worth that.

Okc made some good decisions last week, next big one is on Westbrook.

Pau Gasol has signed a 2 year deal for the Spurs, Yahoo Sports stating that Big Tim is close to retiring, I wonder where that will leave Manu and Tony?. Are San Antonio in rebuild mode now meaning do they trade Parker and Ginobilli?.

Manu has said he's back for another season. I think he'll retire after this one. It's interesting that this KD move could see more teams choose to go into rebuild, but I hope that's not the case. Next year's draft though, is supposedly one of the most loaded in years. I don't want to see a race to the bottom though.

I actually think that the East is going to be brilliant this season. It's gotten so much better in the off season.

Will be sad to see Tim go if he does retire, but he's had a great career. One of the best and a true class act.

I think with more cap space available, it means teams can move players around via trades and bring in more upper echelon level players to work together. Which like I mentioned before we've seen new Big 3's pop up on other teams. I heard good things about next years draft too, if Boston had 8 picks for that draft class I think they'd have kept majority of them. The east should be much more competitive next season for sure. The Knicks will be the team to watch, Cleveland will be leading the pack, I'm wondering how Miami will deal with losing D-Wade (if thats still a possibility) and whether Chris Bosh returns. Also you have sleeper teams like the Raptors who stepped up to the plate so yea, East should be competitive. I'd be sad to see Tim Duncan leave too, I found an old basketball magazine I had a while back and he's on the cover and it's his rookie season so that must have been from 1997, so he's played almost 20 years and I remember seeing him and David Robinson dominate the court which resulted in championships. His shoes will be huge to fill when he retires as like you say he's had a great career and above all he's a true class act too.

I don't really see the ball-sharing thing being an issue. They appear to be a pretty unselfish team, so adding KD shouldn't be a factor.

I hope that OKC are still great because Russ vs. KD in the Playoffs will be craaaazy!

Oh and you can book OKC-Warriors for a Christmas Day game!

We'll see, I think the Warriors game is more 3 point based offense and whilst he can shoot the 3, its not really his strongest point. So thats the point about the offense needing adapting. They are unselfish but it's you know how they would give up shots, do they go for a three whilst KD's open in the paint, that kinda deal. KD vs Russ in the playoffs will be something to see, from what I've read both seem to be on good terms still so I don't think they'd be too in each others faces, but we'll see again. If Russell stays and like it's been said he's now wanting a trade, then for sure book OKC v GSW as the Christmas day game. I think otherwise we might see the Knicks vs Cavs. As for trades, it'll be very interesting to see where Westbrook ends up. Like I've mentioned do the Cavs make a powerplay for him with Kyrie agreeing to play backup point, do they trade Irving, or does somebody like the Heat go for him to placate Dwayne Wade, then you've got Wade, Bosh (if he does return) and Westbrook and that's another team to watch. Dragic could stay as backup PG or they trade him, so all in all, thats another potential big 3.