UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs Arlovski - May 8th

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Amazing show, the crowd really made that show feel much more important than it was. 

Although the BT Sport coverage became quite frustrating as they kept cutting away before the end of fight interviews and struggling to keep up with the actual UFC broadcast

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing show, the crowd really made that show feel much more important than it was. 

Although the BT Sport coverage became quite frustrating as they kept cutting away before the end of fight interviews and struggling to keep up with the actual UFC broadcast

It was funny that they cut GAD off before the Uncle Creepy vs Pickett fight.

I bet the UFC wishes they could bottle that crowd reaction and take it everywhere they go. Those Irish almost made the Brazilian crowds look tame.

Awesome stuff from McGregor. I'm yet to watch the rest but that was electric. I'd go Conor vs. Poirier next, then Mendes, then fuck it, put him against Aldo. I think Poirier has a more competitive fight, Mendes is the obligatory wrestler test as well as being a top contender, and a McGregor fight would spell huge buys for an Aldo fight.

Brandao's looked like an absolute can his last two fights though. I know Poirier and McGregor are very good fighters, but Diego didn't even look like he belonged in the same cage with them. I remember him looking like a killer through TUF and in his first couple of UFC fights.

What a night. Absolutely fantastic to be part of that crowd. The Irish are crazy. Was so loud. This weekend has been a fantastic experience. Might have been spoiled with my first event. But will definitely be back to an event in the near future. 

Conor was great. Did exactly what he said he would. Think Dana said his next fight with probably be in Vegas. That should be good. Think I need to watch McCall/Pickett again. Looked closer than the scorecards suggested. But then being there it's quite hard to keep score at the same time. I also thought Pendred was out in the first and the ref was going to stop it. But what a come back! 

Been a a great weekend and I'll be sad to leave tonight. 

Think Dana said his next fight with probably be in Vegas. That should be good.

Do you think putting him on a Vegas card is the best idea?

I mean, this fight with Brandao wasn't even on US television, was it? Only those with Fight Pass or who download torrents or watch streams would have seen it.

On top of that his other two fights with the company have been on FOX 1 prelims, and on Facebook.

I'd be using this guy as a European draw. Him, Nelson, Bisping (although he's fading now) and the other European fighters seem to draw a decent crowd outside the US, which is what the UFC wants, surely?

Having McGregor fight Poirier on the middle of a PPV card or upper FOX card to a US crowd who will be somewhat lukewarm to him, or having him fight on a British/Irish card as the main event, drawing fans and excitement? Which would you choose?

He could be huge in the US, but I think they have to get him on US television fighting in Ireland to be honest, where the TV watching public can see what a big deal he is in Europe.

That won't happen if he's fighting on a Vegas card in my opinion.

• Paid Members

He needs to fight on a Vegas PPV if he's to become mainstream outside of the hardcore & regional fans. Best move, IMO. And it's not as if they'll be back in Dublin in time for his next fight anyway and are leaving him off the card, so he's gotta fight somewhere. And why use him on UK or Swedish shows if he's not from there?

It was funny that they cut GAD off before the Uncle Creepy vs Pickett fight.

And that's a good thing.

I bet the UFC wishes they could bottle that crowd reaction and take it everywhere they go. Those Irish almost made the Brazilian crowds look tame.

Awesome stuff from McGregor. I'm yet to watch the rest but that was electric. I'd go Conor vs. Poirier next, then Mendes, then fuck it, put him against Aldo. I think Poirier has a more competitive fight, Mendes is the obligatory wrestler test as well as being a top contender, and a McGregor fight would spell huge buys for an Aldo fight.

Brandao's looked like an absolute can his last two fights though. I know Poirier and McGregor are very good fighters, but Diego didn't even look like he belonged in the same cage with them. I remember him looking like a killer through TUF and in his first couple of UFC fights.

The fans made the night. I'd agree with Conor vs. Poririer but for a wrestling test, I'd go with Guida, especially if Guida can beat Bermudez.If Conor is able to face Mendes, it'll only be because Mendes lost to Aldo again and if that's the case, I'd keep Mendes away from spoiling potential contenders, especially those that could draw that elusive stadium show, because he's had his second chance at Aldo and there's no sense in knocking off new title contenders when, outside of a controversial loss, there's unlikely to a clamour for Aldo/Mendes III. As for Brandao, he seems to be a fighter who fights to his confidence level; give him trouble and fill him with doubt, and it's a cakewalk.

He needs to fight on a Vegas PPV if he's to become mainstream outside of the hardcore & regional fans. Best move, IMO. And it's not as if they'll be back in Dublin in time for his next fight anyway and are leaving him off the card, so he's gotta fight somewhere. And why use him on UK or Swedish shows if he's not from there?

I just don't understand why, when the company is looking for stars, they wouldn't have screened that fight show last night on US television. They've shown overseas shows on FOX before, and they could have done it again.

It'll be pretty sad that when he does fight in Vegas he'll come in with less momentum than he should have, as anyone who saw his reaction last night would have been more amped to see him fight in future.

• Paid Members

I'd agree with Conor vs. Poririer but for a wrestling test, I'd go with Guida, especially if Guida can beat Bermudez.If Conor is able to face Mendes, it'll only be because Mendes lost to Aldo again and if that's the case, I'd keep Mendes away from spoiling potential contenders, especially those that could draw that elusive stadium show

Yeah, if McGregor fights Poirier next, by the time that's done, Mendes will either be the champion or will have just lost to the champion.

Bermudez could also provide the wrestler test for McGregor. I've said before that I'd love to see McGregor vs Bermudez. No doubt Lamby would be torn in two for that one but it's a match up I really like. Guida is a good shout as well and he did actually call out McGregor after beating Kawajiri in Abu Dhabi. So there's already that to play off. So either way, the Guida vs Bermudez winner could be McGregor's first wrestler test potentially. I think Bermudez would make for a better fight though.

So potentially you could see McGregor vs Poirier in say September. Guida vs Bermudez is next week. Injuries permitting you could see the winners of both fights square off by the end of the year.

I just don't understand why, when the company is looking for stars, they wouldn't have screened that fight show last night on US television. They've shown overseas shows on FOX before, and they could have done it again.

Even more odd is that Dana even said FOX wanted to show this Dublin card, but Dana said 'but it's a Fight Pass card'. I guess it makes sense in terms of potentially getting more people signing up for Fight Pass, but you'd think they'd want maximum exposure for a show like that with a guy they're obviously very high on headlining and looking like a real star.

• Paid Members

Ariel's post-fight interview with Conor McGregor

Helwani: "Do you think now people will start believi..."

McGregor: "I don't give a SHIT what people say. I never did, I never do. I told you before the fight I was the shit and I'm telling you right now I'm the shit."

And here's Cathal Pendred and Mike King on the piss after their fight;

Bs-75M0CcAAlvvi.jpg

I'd be using this guy as a European draw. Him, Nelson, Bisping (although he's fading now) and the other European fighters seem to draw a decent crowd outside the US, which is what the UFC wants, surely?

Having McGregor fight Poirier on the middle of a PPV card or upper FOX card to a US crowd who will be somewhat lukewarm to him, or having him fight on a British/Irish card as the main event, drawing fans and excitement? Which would you choose?

He could be huge in the US, but I think they have to get him on US television fighting in Ireland to be honest, where the TV watching public can see what a big deal he is in Europe.

That won't happen if he's fighting on a Vegas card in my opinion.

UFC will draw well (for the most part) in Europe regardless of who they put on the cards, the fighters won't become truly globally known if they're only fighting in Europe. Sure, ideally everyone would like to see McGregor fighting in Ireland/UK every time but it's not realistic - they're (rightly) not going to keep him out of action until the next UK show rumoured for February or the next Ireland show this time next year.

I'm not buying any of that 'lukewarm' response either, as Dana says, every fucker in the States think they're part Irish anyway. Fox Sports will likely replay this whole card at some point too, like they've been doing for Rousey's events. If they get McGregor fighting in Vegas on a big PPV, they can get him doing the talk show circuit too like he's been doing back home - that's how he can become a true star.

I do agree though that they should've had this show on US TV, but UFC/Dana's greediness is what it is. Apparently it did do the biggest viewing figure of any Fight Pass show to date by a substantial sum.

• Paid Members

Yeah I think McGregor will get a big response in the US. Remember he fought Max Holloway in Boston a whole year ago and he was dominating the press conference and media shit on fight week. And that card had Chael Sonnen, Shogun Rua, Alistair Overeem and Urijah Faber on the card. As well as the hometown boy Joe Lauzon. Yet it was McGregor getting most of the attention and his fight was on the prelims. There was this as well;

ConorMacGregorRIGHT-425x288.jpg

The man's second UFC fight, first US fight, still on the prelims, and he got his own poster.

I think he's a rare case where they almost have to put him on the PPVs. He's only 3 fights in and still developing, there's still plenty of questions on him, but he's already at a stage where his name on a PPV card will probably make a difference to the buyrate. People are curious about him, a lot love him, a lot hate him.

It's fucking amazing when you think about it. So far he's fought once on the Facebook prelims, once on the FOX Sports 1 prelims and once on Fight Pass. He's barely even been exposed to the wider audience and already he's generated more interest than probably any other fighter -170 in the last couple of years. Imagine him headlining on FOX? Or in a featured fight on one of the bigger PPVs where a big audience will see him? Say the December PPV has Pettis vs Melendez, Rousey vs Carano and McGregor vs Poirier? I might just jizz myself dry until it's just salt coming out. There's an image for you.

Who should Gunnar fight next then? I've been wanting to see him vs Mike Pyle for a while now. I think they'd match up for a tremendous fight. Gunnar's currently ranked #13, Pyle's at #12, so it makes sense. Or is Gunnar ready for one of the big boys in the top ten? Demian Maia?

• Paid Members

Special show, that. The reaction to the main event was unlike anything I've seen from the UFC. Certainly on a non-PPV show like this.

I agree with Shane, in that Brandao isn't looking up to it. He caught McGregor a couple of times, but he was bullied in there.

Who should Gunnar fight next then? I've been wanting to see him vs Mike Pyle for a while now. I think they'd match up for a tremendous fight. Gunnar's currently ranked #13, Pyle's at #12, so it makes sense. Or is Gunnar ready for one of the big boys in the top ten? Demian Maia?

Before yesterday people were hassling Dana to put Gunnar against Rory McDonald if he wins, which he downplayed saying Gunnar wasn't ready for that yet. But at the post fight press conference last night Dana was very interested in that fight and said he'd be talking to both their camps about it.

That'd be a cracking Fight Night main-event, even in the states/Canada.

Archived