James Gandolfini passes away

iamtheman

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know they were all unhinged psychopaths, but Paulie seemed the most unhinged. His utter hatred of homosexuality kind of suggested he might be deep, deep in the closet. I found him the scariest of all that crew.

• Paid Members

I know they were all unhinged psychopaths, but Paulie seemed the most unhinged. His utter hatred of homosexuality kind of suggested he might be deep, deep in the closet. I found him the scariest of all that crew.

I got that vibe more off Phil Leotardo. He was one of the nastiest fuckers on the show and absolutely hated gays (or fanooks as he called them). Paulie was a vicious bollock though. There was something really likeable about him to me though, despite the nasty side. I always loved the way he'd tell a joke and then repeat it to Tony.

Paulie: Hey, I remember every blowjob I ever got. How about you? You remember your first blowjob? Sil: Yeah, course.Paulie: How long did it take for the guy to cum? (turns to Tony)Paulie: Ya hear that? I said 'do you remember your first blowjob?', he said 'yeah'. I said 'how long did it take for the guy to cum?' Heh heh heh heh.

walnuts_3.jpg"Whaddya hear. Whaddya say?"

Paulie was my favourite character. He was fucking great. The episode where he's lost with Christopher in the woods trying to kill some Russian bloke, was probably the best episode of the Sopranos, and Paulie was brilliant in that. "I lost my shoe". And the episode where Christopher caught him sniffing Adriana's pants.

Love that episode. Has one of my favourite scenes from the show.

Tony Soprano: [over the phone] It's a bad connection so I'm gonna talk fast! The guy you're looking for is an ex-commando! He killed sixteen Chechen rebels single-handed!Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri: Get the fuck outta here.Tony Soprano: Yeah. Nice, huh? He was with the Interior Ministry. Guy's like a Russian green beret. He can not come back and tell this story. You understand?Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri: I hear you.[hangs up]Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri: You're not gonna believe this. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. Guy was an interior decorator.Christopher Moltisanti: His house looked like shit.

That "Pine Barrens" was the best episode of the whole run, which probably makes it the best single episode of television ever.

• Paid Members

That's the one, 'Pine Barrens'. Paulie's growing anger and despair at having lost his shoe never fails to crack me up. Another great line from that episode;Something like;

Christopher: He might still be out there. He might be stalking us.Paulie: What with, his cock?

That "Pine Barrens" was the best episode of the whole run, which probably makes it the best single episode of television ever.

Without doubt the stand out episode in a TV series completely full of them. I don't know a single Sopranos fan who doesn't have this one as their favourite.

• Paid Members

DefInitely. Always said it was the finest hour in television- until I watched Blackwater. Though if I watched it again I'd revert back to Pine Barrens probably.Paulie was hilarious. That quote wand had above was classic, where he'd tell a joke and repeat it to Tony seeking approval like a puppy. Those moments never got boring.

• Paid Members

Just watched that Inside The Actors Studio video. Gandolfini comes across as a really genuinely good guy on there. Doesn't seem to have any of the prententiousness or superiority complex you get with some successful actors/actresses either. Just seemed like a normal bloke.I was watching a clip of John Travolta talking about him earlier and he was saying that when his son died, Gandolfini came to stay with him and wouldn't leave until he thought Travolta would be alright.

A lot of great quotes attributed to the big man as well that give a good idea of what kind of guy he was

– “I lost 30 pounds to play my character in The Mexican, but people don’t take to skinny mafia men, and I don’t feel right when I’m thin.”– “Actors will say, ‘My character wouldn’t say that.’ Who said it was your character?”– “I don’t think I will do a Mafia character again. I want to get away from the violence a little bit, because it is starting to bother me personally.”– “I’ve been very lucky, considering what I look like and what I do.”– “People don’t know and they shouldn’t know that you work incredibly hard as an actor.”– “The Sopranos all came down to the writing. I wouldn’t have been on for as long as I was if the writing weren’t so good.”– “I dabbled a little bit in acting in high school, and then I forgot about it completely. And then at about 25 I went to a class. I don’t think anybody in my family thought it was an intelligent choice. I don’t think anybody thought I’d succeed, which is understandable. I think they were just happy that I was doing something.”– “I just don’t think I’m that interesting. I don’t think what I have to say is that interesting. To hear me go blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. I mean, who… cares?”– “Standing in public in other people’s clothes, pretending to be someone else. It’s a strange way for a grown man to make a living.”– “It is a dark, dark world. If you’re going to be in a dark world, I can’t think of any better one to be in. I still think I’m very lucky to be in it.”– “I’m an actor… I do a job and I go home. Why are you interested in me? You don’t ask a truck driver about his job.”– “I was voted best-looking kid in high school but, as you can see, things changed. I used to say I was a 260 pound Woody Allen. You can make that 295 pound now.”

To make things even sadder it turns out his 13 year old son found him. I never watched the sopranos myself. My favourite role of his was In the loop and he's hilarious in that. Soprano's left it's mark though and some of my favourite current shows might not exist without it. Bryan Cranston himself tweeted that there would not be a Walter White if it wasn't for Tony Soprano

i'm glad to see i'm not the only one that has been kicked in the gut by this passing...when i read the article on TMZ around this time last night i had felt like something was sucked out of my body, i was in such shock i couldn't believe it, i cried. i felt weird to feel this way but i reasoned it like this...I've never met the man but he was a presence, a brilliant actor in everything I've seen him in, I've followed his wonderful work with the US service troops, his documentaries he's made, movies etc and i know he was a wonderful man. i've been a fan of James since 1999 when The Sopranos first aired on HBO...14 years ago. 14 years of being a fan and it really feels like i've lost someone from my family...and in a way that's true. you become attached to people, their characters that they play and they mean a great deal to you personally. RIP James Gandolfini you WILL be very much missed.

• Paid Members

I've been thinking about it all today and, even though I've tried, I can't think of a time I have ever been so sad to hear of a performers death as I have about this. I've kind of surprised myself with how down I've felt about it all day.

Archived