DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I don't like saying H*ll. It's the one semi-swear word I will not say, Lokester.

This stems from another of my favourite movies – Tiny Toons : How I Spent My Vacation – where Plucky Duck and Hampton are in Happy World Land and they see the Stairway to Heaven and the Bullet Train to Heck.
Since then, I’ve always said Heck instead of the other kip.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

"So run you cur! RUN! You tell all the other curs the law's comin'!! YOU TELL 'EM I'M COMIN'! AND HECKS COMIN' WITH ME, YA HEAR??!? HECKS COMING WITH MAAAYYYYYY!" Dindindin dinkdadaDINKDINK Dindin...etc.

"I know...let's have a spelling contest!" is one of my favourite quotes from any movie, ever.

Well, how did you find Tombstone, Chokey? Fucking tremendous, on every level, isn't it?

I love it. Ive seen it before, but not for a few years and can watch Kurt Russell in anything and forgot just how many fantastic lines are in it.

This entire scene from about 40 seconds in is just wonderful

"There's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him."

• Paid Members

I’ve already committed to watching Excessive Force with Thomas Ian Griffith next, how can that possibly fail to deliver?

Answer.  It didn’t.

Absolutely bloody marvellous.  I don’t know why Thomas Ian Griffith never went on to bigger and better things, he’s a significant upgrade on most of the guys making this sort of movie at the time, an actor who can do martial arts, rather than a martial artist reading out lines, and it makes a massive difference. Terry Silva is easily the best thing about the Karate Kid trilogy, and admittedly he does have a look more befitting of a villain than a lead, but I’m amazed he didn’t pick up more work. 

That said, he didn’t half get to act alongside a who’s in the early 90’s.  John Lithgow and Donald Sutherland in Hollow Point, Christopher Plummer in Crackerjack, and in Excessive Force his co-stars include Burt Young, Lance Henrikson who’s on Hard Target form incidentally, and would you believe it, James Earl fucking Jones.

As far as “loose cannon playing by their own goddamn rules movies go”, this is right up there.  There’s a few clever twists and turns, so it’s not entirely formulaic, but if you like one liners, brutal violence and unnecessary tits, then Excessive Force will make an excellent addition to any collection.

• Paid Members

Good lad.  Ha, i was going to ask you whether you'd watched it yet.  Lovely ennit? 

Yeah, i'd read then when looking into it.  Two more different films you'll never find.  I love the Lattimer storyline, prime example of sympathising with someone you probably shouldnt, i'm gonna have to watch it again soon.

• Paid Members

Powers Boothe is great but hes given nothing to do in Tombstone. He's just kinda there. It should have been a far bigger moment when they have the showdown at the creek. Michael Biehn's eye acting is exceptional

• Paid Members

Great shout Lokester!

Olyphantastic is like a cross between Paxton and Biehn. I reckon he was a fan of Tombstone and all. Aliens too! Maybe even Navy SEALs.

Sure isn't there a big whopper Tombstone poster on display in the chiefs office on Justified.

Edited by Scott Malbranque