DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

It's probably the only good movie about Mars - or even going there - which is ironic, given the plot.

I must watch that again, as the concept fascinated me as a kid.

EDIT - I just twigged Total Recall. I hang my head.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members
Capricorn One's fucking ace, isn't it? Telly Savalas does the all-time great scene-stealing role. Shoots all his stuff in a day, walks away with the movie, which is brilliant in itself.

Yeah it's great. Peter Hyams made loads of good films and that's one of his best.

• Paid Members
We are living in a utopia, where thousands of films are available at any time, so obviously, when I couldn't sleep the other night, I watched Vanishing on 7th Street. I wish that some mysterious force had sapped all of the power from my TV the moment I made that decision. It had Hayden Christensen in it. I don't know why I've seen so many films with that dreary fucking stick of celery. He's got to be the most useless actor currently on a downward career trajectory (I assume - he couldn't be doing well, right?). He's good in Awake, but that's because he's portraying an comatose man struggling in vain to communicate anything meaningful. John Leguizamo is John Leguizamo in this film, and so is Thandie Newton. She's Thandie Newton, that is, not John Leguizamo. She might as well have been, though, maybe that would have made things more interesting. The start is rote apocalypse. The middle is seemingly three hundred hours long, scrabbling in the dark, with painful logic gaps, painful dialogue, painful acting, and painful urination, for all I know. The ending is metaphysical, or metareligious... it's definitely metagood. That means shit, I think. On the plus side, the shoehorning of a modern soundtrack through the use of a jukebox in a film about the dying out of power (a metaphor, really, which also means shit) means that we get to hear the Marvelettes, always a pleasure.

Zero buys.

That motherfucker is having a child with Rachel Bilson, how do good things keep happening to him!?

• Paid Members

I'm the furthest...farthest(?)...thing from a Tom Cruise fan, but Edge of Tomorrow really is quite entertaining. I would go as far to say that it was a riveting watch.

Ballsy move by the studios, and Cruise, to play the role in the manner he did, and it paid off.

It's clever, fun, witty (akin to his dialogue from Go and Swingers), beautiful to look at and most importantly, rather fucking good.

I've said it before, and I must say it again. Emily Blunt's upper lip is my favourite body part on any person, in all the world, ever. That includes Jade Newman's cigar butts, Druuna's bumcheeks, Juliette Lewis' teeth gap and Sandra Bullocks smile.

I re-watched The Wolf of Wall Street yesterday. It really is a great film regardless of all the 'u should see the blonde girl in it, well fit/they take loadsa drugs! Wehey!' hype it got when it first got released.

I know there are a lot of work-rate perverts on here who'll think it's typical Yank over-the-top stuff but I'd put it in my top 20 favourite films.

Going to see it tonight at the local. They're giving us an interval so us old folks can go take a pee.

Cool, let us know how you find it!

I thought it was fucking hilarious. Scorcese is so good at semi-comedy gangster shit. Like Oliver Stone, he's loth to turn these stories into morality tales as usually the bastards DO get away with it. As a critique of American capitalism, it's great. It's also one of the better films about drug-taking I've seen. Their reactions to Quaaludes (which I've never tried) reminded me a lot of people on Ketamine, and their coked-up twattishness was spot on. I particularly liked the "I got home without a scratch" car ride :laugh:

Also has just THE hottest actress in, that I've never seen before. When she got her norms out for the first time, all the men in the audience went "aaah" and all the women went "tut" at the men.

Funnily enough I just came on here to ask what you thought of it Loki - glad you enjoyed it!

Yeah, she's stunning. Beyond beautiful. She is/was at the time of filming only 23 years old. Crazy.

*MINOR SPOILER* - The yacht sinking scene is probably my favourite scene from any movie in years. When they hit the freak wave and they're rescued while 'Gloria' is playing - great stuff. I'm a big Scorsese fan and usually have a watch of the behind-the-scenes videos and whatnot and like most of his biopics, it's incredible just how true-to-life they are.