The Best Feud of 2012

Ronnie

138 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Awards Moderator

Unlike some of the other categories, there aren't really that many strong candidates here for me. I actually ended up going for Park vs. Ray because it was one of the few options that didn't either (i) involve a part-timer or (ii) repeat itself for months and months on end.

Unlike some of the other categories, there aren't really that many strong candidates here for me. I actually ended up going for Park vs. Ray because it was one of the few options that didn't either (i) involve a part-timer or (ii) repeat itself for months and months on end.

Yeah, agreed. The Rock/Cena stuff was really good one week, then utter shit the next, Brock wasn't around long enough, Storm/Roode seemed like an afterthought without the belt on the line.

I'd have probably voted for "The Shield Vrs WWE".

Unexpected, unpredictable and a breath of fresh air.

It's not on the list but I'd say my favorite feud was the Bobby Roode - Austin Aries feud from June-August, every promo or bit of physical involvement had me on the edge of my seat as it was exciting to see Roode who was fully taking being the man into his stride face to face with Aries who had all the tools but could have easily been ignored in the world title hunt due to fitting his X-division spot so well. Then all of a sudden, Hulk Hogan became the guy encouraging Aries to drop the X division title and take what he knows could be his. This, with the pay off of Aries' title win at Destination X was the perfect feud that I will remember from 2012.

Storm vs Roode was a good slow burner but by the time it was revisited after Roode had lost the championship; Storm had lost a hell of a lot of his momentum and Roode was clearly the winner of the real life "who was the best guy to come out of Beer Money". However, their match at Bound for Glory was fantastic and stole the show. This didn't get my vote though as the feud post Lockdown had lost its flare, with the championship still with Roode up to Bound for Glory this may have changed the perception of the feud a great deal.

So, I have voted for Punk-Cena. The exchanges during the build up to Night of Champions were fantastic and the feud cemented Punk's place as the number one bad guy in WWE and gave his title reign the shot in the arm it so desperately needed come August-September time. The verbal battle which also involved Bret Hart on the night that Lawler had his heart attack was fantastic but will obviously be forgotten to a large extent due to the night's events. The one one one match at Night of Champions between the two was fantastic and easily the best outing that Punk has had during his reign.

Park v Ray as my favourite of Roode v Aries wasn't on the list. Ray's had a marquee year, and Joseph Parks was an unexpectedly good character.

• Paid Members

Not usually one to sing TNA's praises but the entire Bully vs. Park story was one of the highlights of the year. Shame they've got Bully running around with Brooke and Hulk now, he had so much momentum left as a heel.

• Paid Members

Cena vs Punk by a long way for me. Brock - Cena was great while it lasted but was too short-lived, which is the same for most there except Roode - Storm, which i think lost something later on. Bully Ray and Parks i did really enjoy but, again it didn't really amount to anything and was fairly short-lived. I enjoyed it and both guys work within but it doesn't feel worthy of feud of the year.

thesimonbegz summed up why Cena vs Punk deserves it quite well above. Cena-Rock was a disappointment for me, it should have been the most significant feud of the year, but really that ended up being Cena vs Punk. They're magic together. Cena-Rock seems to have been a small chapter in a much bigger story. It's turning into a great story between the three men that began in early 2011 and is getting really, really juicy now. And i love that. I loved all the nods to the Summer of Punk in Cena/Punk this year and the instigations of Punk turn. I think it's become a tremendous story and the promos and matches surrounded have been superb for the most part. Cena vs Punk easily.

Edited by ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members

It didn't last long but Lesnar against Cena had that gritty reality that made it stand outside the other feuds in the list. It started off with a bang and progressed to Lesnar busting Cena's face open in a pull-apart angle, before culminating in my favourite match of the year, which continued with the realistic feel after Lesnar busted Cena open seconds into the match.

Fuck you, and your stupid green cap, too!

1u2hl.gif

I went with Punk/Cena, because if anything I think it was underrated this year. The two have that lightening-in-a-bottle chemistry, which means the company can pair them up for any old show and its completely brilliant. That Raw confrontation with Bret in between was possibly the best bit of WWE TV all year, and their matches are simply phenomenal. Punk's only ever a headliner when he's opposite Cena, and in the moment it looks and feels like the biggest match in all of wrestling. The two characters perfectly and believably bounce off each other so well too. These two should feud once a year just on principle.

Bully Ray/Park would win weaker years though. That whole thing was a total blast, the match was great and we all gave more of a shit about both guys than we did before. The two biggest over-achievers in 2012 feuding together couldn't fail. Great stuff.

• Paid Members

Cena vs Rock. For me a feud needs a conclusion and a focus. And this had both, unlike Punk vs Cena, which had Big Show, Ryback, Punk turning on the Rock, real life injuries derailing it and a million other stuff. Where as Rock and Cena delivered the goods on TV, at the box office and they had a decisive winner.

That's something i like about Cena/Punk actually. It doesn't feel like it's done and i think there's still mileage in it in some form.

Agreed. It's got that Bret/Austin 'this will never be over as long as we're breathing' feel to it. I kind of hope they never attempt to definitively pay it off, it's one of the few examples ever in wrestling where I'm happy when they decide to insta-feud two guys a fortnight before the PPV.

Will Punk end up being Cena's career opponent? You know, the one he ends up being associated with? Punk's personality and Cena's are perfect opposites.

• Awards Moderator
Will Punk end up being Cena's career opponent? You know, the one he ends up being associated with? Punk's personality and Cena's are perfect opposites.

I reckon that Cena will end up as Punk's career opponent, but I don't know about the other way round; you could make a case for Edge being Cena's ... Though it depends how often Cena and Punk might meet in the future.

I reckon that Cena will end up as Punk's career opponent, but I don't know about the other way round; you could make a case for Edge being Cena's ... Though it depends how often Cena and Punk might meet in the future.

Aye, I think I might always associate Edge with Cena. Though, Edge is gone and Cena and Punk still have more to give. Punk vs Cena has arguably produced better matches.

Anyway, Bully vs Park for me.