UFC on FOX 5: 'Henderson vs Diaz'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think who I want to win will be in the minority for all 3 main fights.

I love Pettis, I think he is fantastic and exciting. I want him to knock out Cerrone who I have never warmed to as a person (he is very exciting fighter though)

I want Glover to win, not because I dislike Rampage but because he is the sole guy left I could get behind to potentially give Jones some trouble. As good as Gusty was last week, I still think Jones would have few problems tooling him. Shogun did a bit better than people gave him credit for, I thought the first 2 rounds of that fight were fairly close.

I want Dodson to win as well, I know he is a annoying little shit but there is something likable about him. A bit like a midget Derek Chisora.

Pettis vs Cerrone is almost defo going to be exciting, Glover vs Rampage should be unless Glover just lay and preys which is unlikely as Glover is pretty active on the ground, I expect the flyweights to get mixed reviews no matter what happens.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
EDIT: Natural the next show is the Dodson vs Might Mouse one, with Rampage vs Glover supporting, if it does 3 million it will be considered a success.

Thanks for the reminder. I don't have a lot of interest in those two fights :(. Really don't like Dodson, the cackling hyperactive little shit and hope Rampage gets a beating. I'm excited for Cerrone/Pettis, hope Cerrone wins so one of us is going to be disappointed!

EDIT: Make that you/wandshogun09 or me.

• Paid Members

You'll be surprised then Jim. I'm rooting for Pettis as well. And I'd rather Glover win also. I've always been a Rampage fan but I'm really sick of his moaning. I like them both and I'll still be happy if he does win but I'd rather see Glover come out on top because he's a fresh face at 205 and Rampage doesn't seem that arsed anymore.

I'm defo rooting against Dodson though. Great fighter but a seriously annoying little twat. And I warmed to Mouse on the last Countdown, he seems a really good bloke. I hope he wins and in impressive fashion. I wasn't hating on Mouse/Benavidez like most seem to, I quite enjoyed it actually. But the Flyweights need to make something happen because people don't give a shit at the minute. I hope they have an early FOTY contender and Mouse finishes him. People are down on Flyweight and the division could do with something like that.

But the Flyweights need to make something happen because people don't give a shit at the minute. I hope they have an early FOTY contender and Mouse finishes him. People are down on Flyweight and the division could do with something like that.

Yeah I'm not a Flyweight fan. I preferred the men's divisions the way they were before the division was created.

• Paid Members

It's still a new division though so there's time. There hasn't been many Flyweight fights yet and to be fair there has been some really good fights like the two Mighty Mouse vs Uncle Creepy fights a few months back. I can see why people weren't keen on Mouse/Benavidez but I thought it was a good technical fight.

Dodson has pretty good power for 125 though and he might even be quicker than Mouse so he could give him some trouble. I think that could be a great fight. I can see Benavidez vs Creepy being great as well. They're not off to the best start but I think we'll get some better stuff once the division gets more depth and the guys who dropped down get a few fights under their belt and get used to the new weight.

As for Pettis vs Cerrone, I've been banging on about that fight since the WEC days. It's gonna be tremendous. I'm a big fan of both but I want to see Pettis win for a few reasons.

1) He was meant to come straight into the UFC as #1 contender until the Edgar/Maynard draw put the stops on that.

2) Pettis vs Bendo 1 was a classic, a rematch would be awesome and the backstory of their last fight, the kick and the roads they've taken since would make for a great build up.

3) I kind of like Pettis' style better than Cerrone's. Big fan of both but there's something about Pettis, you never know what he's gonna do next.

If Cerrone wins I'm not sure if they'd give him a third crack at Benson. They might, the first fight was close but he's still 0-2 down. If Cerrone wins I think Gilbert Melendez might get the shot at Benson.

It's still a new division though so there's time. There hasn't been many Flyweight fights yet and to be fair there has been some really good fights like the two Mighty Mouse vs Uncle Creepy fights a few months back. I can see why people weren't keen on Mouse/Benavidez but I thought it was a good technical fight.

Dodson has pretty good power for 125 though and he might even be quicker than Mouse so he could give him some trouble. I think that could be a great fight. I can see Benavidez vs Creepy being great as well. They're not off to the best start but I think we'll get some better stuff once the division gets more depth and the guys who dropped down get a few fights under their belt and get used to the new weight.

I think the Flyweight division should be introduced when the depth is there and not before. The UFC Featherweight and Bantamweight divisions had it from the start thanks to the wonderful WEC, my second favourite MMA promotion of all time. I know I'll contradict myself with what I've said about the Flyweight division but I support the UFC Women's division.

As for Pettis vs Cerrone, I've been banging on about that fight since the WEC days. It's gonna be tremendous. I'm a big fan of both but I want to see Pettis win for a few reasons.

1) He was meant to come straight into the UFC as #1 contender until the Edgar/Maynard draw put the stops on that.

2) Pettis vs Bendo 1 was a classic, a rematch would be awesome and the backstory of their last fight, the kick and the roads they've taken since would make for a great build up.

3) I kind of like Pettis' style better than Cerrone's. Big fan of both but there's something about Pettis, you never know what he's gonna do next.

If Cerrone wins I'm not sure if they'd give him a third crack at Benson. They might, the first fight was close but he's still 0-2 down. If Cerrone wins I think Gilbert Melendez might get the shot at Benson.

2. Bendo vs. Cerrone 1 was a classic as well.

3. Like both Cerrone and Pettis but prefer Cerrone because I've watched more of his fights and he's one of those fighters who I think would really fight anybody. I don't think Melendez should get an immediate title shot.

I hope if Cerrone wins they would give him a third fight against Bendo. I posted a link earlier in the thread to Henderson/Cerrone I which the UFC put up on YouTube. Haven't watched it in a while but thought Cerrone won 3-2. In the second fight Cerrone got caught in a quick Guillotine choke.

Yeah I think they may give it to Gil, Bendo vs Pettis 2 would be mega though.

I am tempted to complain about the Flyweight class, but I won't because

A. I moaned years back when 155lbs was reintroduced and made myself look a prize tit when it got great.

B. It would not be such a big issue if they had done it in a less hectic and overexposed time.

C. As Wand said, lets give it time.

D. Manny Pacquaio fought at that weight for a while in Boxing if I recall correctly and look see how big of star he is. The size of the fighter is irrelevant if someone catches on.

Natural - I actually forgot that card was on FOX as well until someone mentioned it the other day. I will bet like this weekend with BJ, all the attention will be on Rampage come fight night.

Yeah I think they may give it to Gil, Bendo vs Pettis 2 would be mega though.

I am tempted to complain about the Flyweight class, but I won't because

A. I moaned years back when 155lbs was reintroduced and made myself look a prize tit when it got great.

B. It would not be such a big issue if they had done it in a less hectic and overexposed time.

C. As Wand said, lets give it time.

D. Manny Pacquaio fought at that weight for a while in Boxing if I recall correctly and look see how big of star he is. The size of the fighter is irrelevant if someone catches on.

I especially agree with you on B, that's what I was trying to say. I'm willing to give it time. I like the smaller fighters for the skill and they don't gas but the division is poor as of right now. Hopefully it will get better.

Natural - I actually forgot that card was on FOX as well until someone mentioned it the other day. I will bet like this weekend with BJ, all the attention will be on Rampage come fight night.

Agreed. Least all three of us agree that we want Rampage to get a beating :laugh:!

• Paid Members

The purses from the event are out...

FOX main card:

Benson Henderson ($39,000 + $39,000 = $78,000) def. Nate Diaz ($50,000)

Alexander Gustafsson ($30,000 + $30,000 = $60,000) def. Mauricio Rua ($175,000)

Rory MacDonald ($21,000 + $21,000 = $42,000) def. B.J. Penn ($150,000)

Matt Brown ($27,000 + $27,000 = $54,000) def. Mike Swick ($48,000)

FX preliminary card:

Yves Edwards ($16,000 + $16,000 = $32,000) def. Jeremy Stephens ($24,000)

Raphael Assuncao ($19,000 + $19,000 = $38,000) def. Mike Easton ($14,000)

Ramsey Nijem ($10,000 + $10,000 = $20,000) def. Joe Proctor ($8,000)

Daron Cruickshank ($8,000 + $8,000 = $16,000) def. Henry Martinez ($8,000)

Abel Trujillo ($6,000 + $6,000 = $12,000) def. Marcus LeVesseur ($8,000)

Dennis Siver ($31,000 + $31,000 = $62,000) def. Nam Phan ($10,000)

Facebook preliminary card:

Scott Jorgensen ($20,500 + $20,500 = $41,000) def. John Albert ($10,000)

In addition, Yves Edwards, Scott Jorgensen (x2) and John Albert pocketed $65,000 post-fight bonuses for their work. (MMAFighting.com)

Not too shabby for Shogun & BJ!

Thing about some of these numbers is, they were signed to these deals when they were not big names. Without winning bonus's Mike Swick getting more than Bendo is a bit silly though, Swick even got more than Rory when Rory won his fight!

When Bendo and Rory come to renew, I promise they will get a lot more than they got here. As Mike said, I bet Dana threw a few rolls of cash under the table as well

• Paid Members
I'd guess he got some more. There's always a lot of undisclosed bonuses & Benson likely won over a lot of people with that performance, I'd like to think Dana sorted him out with a little xmas bonus.

Yeah it's well known that the released figures are not the figures the fighters actually get. Lorenzo was saying on that ESPN thing before that they sit down after each event and if they think a fighter deserves more (eg; they performed really well, had a great fight, or promoted the fight well) then they'll often pay out "multiples of the contracted figure".

I hope they're sorting Henry Martinez out with "multiples". That guy has fought his balls off in this fight and the Riddle one. Dana seemed well pleased with him after the Riddle fight as well. I doubt he's gone away with just $8,000.

I'd guess he got some more. There's always a lot of undisclosed bonuses & Benson likely won over a lot of people with that performance, I'd like to think Dana sorted him out with a little xmas bonus.

Yeah it's well known that the released figures are not the figures the fighters actually get. Lorenzo was saying on that ESPN thing before that they sit down after each event and if they think a fighter deserves more (eg; they performed really well, had a great fight, or promoted the fight well) then they'll often pay out "multiples of the contracted figure".

I hope they're sorting Henry Martinez out with "multiples". That guy has fought his balls off in this fight and the Riddle one. Dana seemed well pleased with him after the Riddle fight as well. I doubt he's gone away with just $8,000.

I bet Martinez won't get any more cash as he missed weight, they always hate on guys who do that. I would imagine that is the reason why the fight did not get fight of the night either.

Archived