Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

FellatioLips mentioning tournaments in another thread got me thinking, what's people's favourite 1 night tournament ever? I'm immediately at a fight between King of the Ring 93 and Deadly Game, albeit for polar opposite reasons.

KOTR is a really brilliantly booked wrestling tournament in the traditional sense, but the myriad of superlative ring performances really push it over the top. Of course it's one of Bret Hart's best ever nights, but Razor's great, Bam Bam is tremendous and Perfect/Bret gave many of us cause to consider which version of the match was their favourite.

As oft-discussed on here, Deadly Game is surely Vince Russo's finest hour, a masterpiece of the era he helped shape regardless of your opinion on short matches or shitty finishes. It is as dramatic an evening of wrestling storytelling (and its that, a whole evening drama rather than some isolated moments) as I can ever remember, with threads running throughout the night bringing the entire roster and their motivations together in a way you rarely see outside of a Royal Rumble match. It's brilliant.

So I can't pick between those two, but WCW had a hundred stabs at tournaments and the WWF still used to do them before Vince seemed to just about totally outlaw them. What are other favourites?

• Paid Members

I loved Deadly Game. SCG constant reminders of how nonsensical that whole Shane McMahon screwing Austin angle is coupled with a recent rematch reminding me of the dross I'd long forgotten have soured it though.

So I'd have to go for King Of the Ring '95.

Deadly Game was superb. The build up and all the twists and turns along the way were totally captivating.

Even the fact the mystery entrant was Gilberg and not a WCW guy like 10 year old me predicted didn't ruin it. 

And as far as making a star goes, he was heading there anyway but The Rock was 100% made that evening.

Edited by Winston

I loved Deadly Game. SCG constant reminders of how nonsensical that whole Shane McMahon screwing Austin angle is coupled with a recent rematch reminding me of the dross I'd long forgotten have soured it though.

So I'd have to go for King Of the Ring '95.

Why was Shane screwing Austin nonsensical? I always put it down to he was trying to get back in Vince's good books

I'll go with Deadly Game. Outside of the top match or two, attitude era PPVs were mostly shit. The stuff that made Raw so popular didn't necessarily result in the best big event every month. But on that night, they did the perfect attitude PPV. Thrills and spills all night, nothing outstayed its welcome, and the tournament format meant you got the top guys several times and the shitty lower card guys got to sit in the back.

Savage in 87 was untouchable. The fans were cheering him in the build up to WM, even after the most brutal attack in the history of pro wrestling, on pro wrestlings greatest goodie. Savage was so good. 

So by 2016 fan logic, does that make Savage a shitty heel for getting cheered, or the fans "smark wankers" for cheering him?

• Paid Members

Savage in 87 was untouchable. The fans were cheering him in the build up to WM, even after the most brutal attack in the history of pro wrestling, on pro wrestlings greatest goodie. Savage was so good.

So by 2016 fan logic, does that make Savage a shitty heel for getting cheered, or the fans "smark wankers" for cheering him?

Savage had loads of Meltzer points so the wankers were always going to cheer him. He also had the hottest woman on the planet by his side which might have helped a bit.

Impossible to tell, sadly. There weren't any forums or social media at the time so we can't check whether they were crying about Hogan being overpushed and not having enough workrates, they'd have had to just do it on the train home. It's easy now to spot the motives, back then it was just guesswork.

Impossible to tell, sadly. There weren't any forums or social media at the time so we can't check whether they were crying about Hogan being overpushed and not having enough workrates, they'd have had to just do it on the train home. It's easy now to spot the motives, back then it was just guesswork.

I guess we'll just have to assume that Savage was a bad heel then. That's a shame, because I always thought he was excellent.

Whatever the reasons though, those minority of fans were right to cheer Savage, because he was utterly brilliant and easy to get behind. They should have listened to those smart fans and turned him face in '88. Maybe even have put the belt on him. Oh...wait?

Ha!  :D

I got suckered in to a free trial and found out they had every Nitro (just as I was watching it through on shitty VHS conversions) and it's been there ever since. Well worth it for NXT alone though really.

Besides, look at the top talent and hot prospects of WWE these days, why would I of all people want WWE to lose money?

Bobby Roode

Austin Aries

AJ Styles

Spanky

Pac

El Generico

Kevin Steen

Tyler Black

Jon Moxley

Claudio

American Dragon as GM

A FUCKIN' CRUISERWEIGHT DIVISION!!!

It's like Triple H found a forum post of mine from 2005 and said "hire all this lot and give them belts ASAP".

I'm surprised you've not found a new hobby  :p