Eddie or HBK?

Jetta's G-string

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I watched a DDP yoga video just now (dont ask me why), but there was an interesting part on there where ddp is having breakfast with Chris jericho, and they're talking about Eddie, and during the conversation jericho says something along the lines of "Eddie is the best ever, well apart from maybe Shawn Michaels". He compared them because they both have great matches with big and small men. So got me thinking who is the better. For me its Shawn, his skills are phenomonal and he always got me emotionaly involved in his matches. Who do you think is better?

I voted HBK, I think Shawn's career length as a main eventer featuring extensive feuds with Bret Hart, Undertaker, Triple H, Cena, Randy Orton, Ric Flair etc puts him above Eddie as despite his immense talent he was only a main eventer for two years or maybe less before his death. If Eddie was still with us and went on to feud with all the big players this could be a completely different story.

Shawn Michaels after he came back in 2002 become one of the best of all time. I'd only have him behind Ricky Steamboat and Chris Benoit as the best of all time, so yeah, HBK in this poll.

Chris Benoit as the best of all time? Really? I suppose its all subjective, I'm just surprised anyone has that opinion. He's not someone I think of as the total package really.

I think HBK takes this or me, but only because he has a longer catalogue as a headliner. Eddie might have challenged eventually but there's no way of knowign that now.

Eddie was good but he was only a top tier guy for about 6 months during 2004. I think Eddie's death has resulted in his legacy being more fondly remembered than it would have been if he had simply retired in 2005. I always enjoyed his work but he isnt one of the absolute best ever.

• Paid Members

Well, Shawn is probably the best of all time, so I'd say he was definitely better than Eddie. Lots of different guys have said of loads of different guys "he was the best ever." Eddie may have been the best wrestler (in his opinion) that Page was ever in the ring with, but it sounds like even he though as soon as he said it "well... actually it was Shawn Michaels." I'd be surprised if anyone can make a case for Eddie being better.

Shawn Michaels after he came back in 2002 become one of the best of all time. I'd only have him behind Ricky Steamboat and Chris Benoit as the best of all time, so yeah, HBK in this poll.

Chris Benoit as the best of all time? Really? I suppose its all subjective, I'm just surprised anyone has that opinion. He's not someone I think of as the total package really.

I get that he's not exactly the total package, but I just go by matches really, and before he turned into a murdering whackjob, he did have a hell of a super career as far as that goes wherever he went.

• Paid Members
Eddie was good but he was only a top tier guy for about 6 months during 2004. I think Eddie's death has resulted in his legacy being more fondly remembered than it would have been if he had simply retired in 2005. I always enjoyed his work but he isnt one of the absolute best ever.

I agree with this totally, if Edge had died instead of retiring people would probably say he was one of the best ever, Eddie was great but not that great.

I did a poll on here once, is HBK the greatest of all time and the majority of people said yes so that trumps any Shawn vs anyone polls.

I agree with this totally, if Edge had died instead of retiring people would probably say he was one of the best ever, Eddie was great but not that great.

I dunno, people already completely overrate Edge.

• Paid Members

Shawn Michaels is undoubtedly the best in-ring performer of all time and in terms of being the "full-package" he's still easily in most fans' Top 3. Eddie was superb and I'm sure he's considered one of the greats by most of us but his time as a headliner wasn't nearly long enough to be considered the greatest.

Edge is horribly overrated, can't believe he's a ten time World Champion or whatever it actually is.

From his 2002 return onwards I always preferred Eddie; for some reason I always found Michaels to be kind of obnoxious. I'm not sure whether that was just residual markdom from hating him in his 1991-4 HBK days, or reading about his backstage douchebaggery, or whether I just didn't like DX or things like burying Mike Knox at Survivor Series (I mean, Knox was shit but I still thought it was a twatty thing to do).

However, looking at it from any objective point of view - longevity, successful title runs, number of classic matches, quality of promos - it has to be Michaels.

From his 2002 return onwards I always preferred Eddie; for some reason I always found Michaels to be kind of obnoxious. I'm not sure whether that was just residual markdom from hating him in his 1991-4 HBK days, or reading about his backstage douchebaggery, or whether I just didn't like DX or things like burying Mike Knox at Survivor Series (I mean, Knox was shit but I still thought it was a twatty thing to do).

However, looking at it from any objective point of view - longevity, successful title runs, number of classic matches, quality of promos - it has to be Michaels.

But did you like his HBK days from 1995-1998? :laugh:

Archived