Great PPV Nostalgia

Badger

This thread is for reviewing and discussing past pay-per-views. I tried searching for another thread like this but I apologise if it has been done before.

WWF Summerslam 2001

19th August 2001

Compaq Civic Center - San Jose, California

Att: 15, 293

Theme Song: Drowning Pool - "Bodies"

SummerSlam2001poster.jpg

Summerslam 2001 was, for me, a terrific all-round pay-per-view. 2001 was a brilliant year for the WWF and they had a stack of main eventers at their disposal. The Rock, Steve Austin, Undertaker and Kurt Angle all appeared on the card, and that's before you mention the likes of Van Dam, Jericho, Edge and Jeff Hardy.

You would do well to find a better opening match than Lance Storm and Edge's bout here. The two went back-and-forth in a technical display which ended with Edge picking up the victory to win the Intercontinental title, despite an interference where Christian unintentionally speared Edge.

Another match from the card that stands out was the ladder match between Rob Van Dam and Jeff Hardy. The match was for Hardy's Hardcore title. Van Dam was super-over with the fans back then and there was some great spots here without it being mental or too dangerous. If weapons and props are going to be used in a match, this is how it should be done. RVD won this one.

X-Pac and Tajiri had a fun encounter. It wasn't anything spectacular but it didn't need to be on this night.

The Dudley Boyz teamed with Test to beat The APA and Spike Dudley in a rather enjoyable match. Shane McMahon ran to the ring and hit Bradshaw with a steel chair which allowed Test to make the pin.

Undertaker and Kane met with Diamond Dallas Page and Chris Kanyon in a steel cage to end their sub-par feud which was based around DDP stalking The Undertaker's wife, Sara. Unsurprisingly, Kane and The Undertaker won this one.

Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley was in Rhyno's corner as he was downed by Chris Jericho. I was a big fan of Rhyno and Jericho back then so I have fond memories of this match though it wasn't particularly a great match.

Kurt Angle went back-and-forth with Steve Austin for over 20-minutes in a spectacular match. This was the match of the night and one of the best of the year despite it ending with Austin getting DQ'd. Austin and Angle really are two of the all-time greats and this shows just why. As I said, Austin got disqualified to retain the WWF championship. If you missed it the first time round or haven't watched it in a while then I recommend you track it down.

Although it couldn't compete with the level of the Austin/Angle match, The Rock's match against Booker T in the main event was enjoyable nonetheless. 'The Great One' pinned Booker T to win the WCW championship.

It's events like these that remind you of just how good the WWF was back then. It's difficult to look back without feeling nostalgic about the late 90's and early 00's wrestling product. I'm not going to go into great detail about the state of the WWE in this modern era as I'm quite a big fan of it but there's no denying that the WWE of today couldn't hold a flame to the product back then.

- - -

There's not particularly any rules to this thread. Though the title is 'PPVs', you can still discuss shows and events that weren't PPVs if you wish.

• Paid Members
Another match from the card that stands out was the ladder match between Rob Van Dam and Jeff Hardy. The match was for Hardy's Hardcore title. Van Dam was super-over with the fans back then and there was some great spots here without it being mental or too dangerous. If weapons and props are going to be used in a match, this is how it should be done.

X-Pac and Tajiri had a fun encounter. It wasn't anything spectacular but it didn't need to be on this night.

Nah. Van Dam-Hardy was a fucking shambolic mess, certainly not how weapons/props should be used in a match. I haven't seen it since the first time but i remember feeling it defied a lot of logic regarding a ladder match.

X-Pac - Tajiri was awesome and the match of the night. They did a tremendous job getting the crowd well into the match considering they were determined to just shit all over X-Pac.

Overall Summerslam 2001 was a shit PPV. I hated it at the time and it felt like the end of WWFs great run. I always associate it with that.

• Paid Members

Yeah I wasn't keen on the Hardy/RVD ladder match. I liked the Invasion match they had though. And yeah Tajiri vs X Pac was good fun.

I mostly remember Summerslam 2001 as the night Jericho kept slipping all over the shop for some reason. He fell off the top rope the once and let out a little scream. I couldn't help but laugh.

• Paid Members

Probably the most generic PPV to mention but I watched WM17 again today for the first time in quite a while. Fuck me that was a good show. Kurt Angle really is one of those you don't know what you've got till it's gone kinda guys.

I can't think of a funnier wrestler than Kurt Angle. He's great at comedy.

I liked Summerslam 2001. I liked RVD vs. Hardy at the time, but haven't seen it in a few years. Surely Lance Storm vs. Edge was better than X Pac vs. Tajiri? I can't remember anything about X Pac vs. Tajiri other than thinking it was unspectacular. I might give it another watch.

It seems that I obviously rate Summerslam 2001 more than some other posters on here but I do think it's unfair to say that X Pac vs Tajiri was the best match on the card. Lance Storm vs Edge and Kurt Angle vs Steve Austin were both superior IMO. Personal preferences, I guess.

Good call with Wrestlemania X7, cactus_stumo. Probably my favourite show ever.

Archived