RAW Discussion 6/8/12

Baz Windham

Bit of a chore this week, which seems to be happening a bit too regularly since about May. Nothing really grabbed me and the big draw for me of Brock/HHH was dissapointing. The build-up for it should have been bigger by now, the mauling of HBK better be damn good. Enjoying Jericho as face and Punk as heel though, be a shame if Jericho is sodding off again soon just as he's getting interesting again.

The highlight though i'm sure you'll agree though was this Wade Barrett return promo. Great that he's coming back and loved the promo, fantastic idea of him returning to his roots to batter some people because he's gone a bit soft. Looking forward to his return now.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I is a worry when three weeks in to the 3hr shows nothing much has happened could of used it to start a big story line. Its all just happening nothing is standing out.

It wasnt bad at all, it just couldnt hold my interest for 3 hours! Thats a tough ask for a wrestling show anywhere to entertain anyone for 3 hours. I tried staying up but couldnt hack it, so watching it now before work. The tout/twitter stuff wasnt as much as last week, it was a tolerable amount.

Damien Sandow attacking Brodus Clay was amazing, really impressed by Sandow.

3 Tag Teams on Raw all wearing matching gear, beautiful. Even if Hawkins and Reks got fed to Ryback again! :angry: I like Primo & Epico and The Prime Time Players so Im glad they're all getting TV time.

Loved that Wade Barrett promo, cant wait for his return now, he'll hopefully spice things up a bit.

Seeing Brock Lesnar walk down to the ring with Paul E fills me with a mixture of glee and dread. Im so happy to see him back, but you know hes going to fuck shit up. I actually cant wait to see Lesnar vs HHH. HBK in Triple H's corner is an intriguing idea.

I echo what Baz was saying, Chris Jericho has just got interesting and hes apparently leaving soon! I've really enjoyed this little feud. Alex Riley gets the win! I'd really like to see more of him as a midcard baby face. Dolph going mental was great.

Daniel Bryan still remains the best thing in WWE. Thats the loudest I've heard a crowd in ages. Cena and Bryan could have some fantastic PPV matches down the road if they fancied it. That was great.

Still, heel Big Show inspires nothing but apathy from me. Hes so fucking dull.

CM Punks promo at the end was fantastic.

Favourite thing about Raw: Damien Sandow. He was amazing.

Worst thing about Raw (for me): Brock killing his own heat, when he laughed and left the ring the place erupted in boo's. Then he decided to go back in and say 2 pointless lines in his baby voice and ended up leaving to a silent crowd (which slowly picked up again when he reached the ramp.

Seeing proper tag teams again was fun although Ryback can go away now, they should just stick him in a fued with Big Show just so they dont bother anyone else.

I also wasn't a fan of Miz losing for the second week in a row in Raw, so he's allowed to be IC champ but just as long as he knows he doesnt stand a chance against the main eventers anymore. I would understand the loss better if it wasnt a throw away match.

Dolph was great again. Looking forward to him vs Jericho.

Not as much of a chore as I thought it would be. Thought the time passed quite well. Good stuff scattered over the show. Thought the HBK/HHH/Brock stuff was decent enough, the Punk/Rey match was good and the main event was incredible, and Punk after the main event was gold. Thought Show/Orton was a nifty wee match.

Skipped through this week's show again. I'd like to see an Orton-Show & Cena-Bryan both pairs displayed that they could have good extended rivalries and get a lot out of each other. Oh and Punk should have cut that last promo on the mic but maybe stood on the announce table to aim his verbal tirade at Lawler rather than keeping it exclusive to the television audience.

Barrett's video was brilliant too. The package certainly portrayed him as a hard bastard and he should fill that void in WWE's full time roster. I'm hoping he's our next World Heavyweight Champion.

• Paid Members

I enjoyed most of the matches on this show, Cena vs Bryan and Punk vs Rey in particular. Everything else was hit and miss. I really liked Sandow's beatdown on Brodus, the stomps to the leg looked vicious! Brodus is a really good seller, I'm interested to see how they follow that up. I thought Big Show looked good closing the show.

The Shawn/Lesnar bit was mince. It did nothing for Triple H or Brock. The "Shawn Michaels is the greatest westler of all time" segments really took away from the HHH/Undertaker build earlier this year, and it's done the same here, for me. Shawn Michaels should be a victim of the HHH/Lesnar feud, not the centrepiece. Judging by the end of that segment, instead of doing a "Lesnar has taken out HBK, what will HHH do next?" angle, they've went down the "When is Brock Lesnar going to to take out HBK?" route. It doesn't need to be a multi-week thing, it's someone getting beat up, it shouldn't need a build of its own. Even if it just lasts a week, the focus should not be on Shawn Michaels.

Still really looking forward to the match, though!

Rey seems to have got completely lost in the shuffle since he returned.

At first it looked like they were going to pair him with Del Rio, then maybe chuck him in the World Title scene, now he's scratching around with no one to wrestle at SummerSlam as all the heels are getting paired off quite quickly.

I guess this Charlie Sheen thing with Bryan must be dead in the water then? But thought the mini-feud with Kane had been and gone.

• Paid Members
AJ has jumped the shark, still fit though

Orton/Show was good, Punk's promo was quality at the end too

That happened weeks ago, IMO. In fact, when she started getting more TV time and became the focal point of the Punk/Bryan feud her schtick started to grate. The only time I find her half decent is when she's mixing it up with Bryan, but that's mostly down to Bryan being the most interesting character on the show.

I can't not like this episode because we finally got that Bryan/Cena supermatch. It didn't disappoint too; the crowd was dead for most of Raw, but both men had them going mental.

Punk is starting to show some form on the mic again. Good promo at the end, it seems they're building to some sort of Punk/Lawler match or big angle - which will be rather good. No idea what was going on with his beard though.

Hopefully Lesnar starts beating up some of these long haired poofs next week.

• Paid Members

I liked the first hour and of course Cena vs Bryan. The HBK, Lesnar and HHH segment was a massive letdown. The big beatdown of HBK in San Antonio wrote itself and when it didn't happen I was disappointed, but to have no physically at all was awful.

As two hours, this would have probably been great, with all the filler cut out. As has been said, the HBK/Lesnar showdown was a damp squib. The one plus of three hour Raws is that things like the Damien Sandow angle with Brodus Clay was given time to breathe They focused on Sandow for a long time afterwards and showed replays, which is all good.

Rey looked like he couldn't be arsed during his entrance. For his own sake, I kinda hope he retires soon. He had a good match with Punk, but he looks like he's in fairly rough shape despite still being a really good wrestler.

I liked Orton vs Big Show. They had a good match on Raw once before, and they did the same here. I'd be fine with a good length PPV match down the road, Orton works pretty well with big guys, and Show is on fine form.

Main event was great, Bryan is fantastic these days. He makes everything thrown at him work, and that he got the crowd to stop the dueling Cena chants in favour of "yes" was something else. Cena matches up with him really well too, I hope they have a PPV match or two in them.

Archived