RAW Discussion 6/8/12

Baz Windham

I went to bed during Miz vs Kane so haven't seen the main event yet (but had it spoilt by WWE on Facebook, bastards). The thing that struck me about the show is how Smackdowny it was. Randomly-picked matches with no consequences sent out there to fill time. Cena vs Bryan being the exception, as that's the most interesting match in WWE for me, but it seems a shame to just chuck it on telly with no build-up.

I'm in agreement with everyone who felt the HHH bit was a letdown. The way they involved Shawn Michaels wasn't organic at all. Him being in HHH's corner might make more sense if Heyman had caused Lesnar to get the upper hand in a brawl with Hunter last week or something. I guess they didn't want to do the ambulance job because they had the appreciation thing planned for after, but Cleetus (or whoever else said it) is spot on. Michaels should be the victim, not the centrepiece. They're just not trying with the two SummerSlam main events, based on everything up to the last half hour this week at least.

Sandow and Brodus will hopefully go somewhere, Otunga killing Brodus never really did. Otunga should be getting oodles of screen time on three hour Raw, and he's nowhere to be seen. WWE have got talent they could be using on these shows that people care about and/or are entertaining. Great use of Sandow this week, and they should put effort into featuring others too. Santino, Slater, Otunga, Ryder, Miz, Christian Methuselah. Some would say Cody Rhodes as well, but since losing the mask and silly voice he's dull as Malenko, so best not to overexpose him. They do some great silly stuff backstage on the wwe.com shows, some more of that on Raw wouldn't hurt. And they should put more thought into doing character stuff with Dolph Ziggler rather than showing off how he bumps.

Is anyone into Sheamus vs Del Rio? It's been going on since the week Del Rio came back, which must be nearly five or six months, and it just hasn't taken off. I don't think any creative effort has been put in, and the two performers haven't elevated the material.

I really liked the Wade Barrett video. He's never come across as a hardcase before, but he did there. I don't know how it'll translate when he's actually back, but hopefully it'll be as fun as he was when Cena was his slave.

The Prime Time Players were wonderful again. Kofi and R-Truth wearing suits can fuck off.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's doing a movie.

Cena does movies and still turns up for Raw, New Big Dave should too.

What exactly do people like about the Prime Time Players? I can't stand them, same goes for AW.

I love how annoying and stupid they are. They're superb comedy baddies. I'm not too big on AW being with them, I don't think they need him but I can see why it'd be considered a good fit. I can't see Titus ever being any good in singles, but I've got high hopes for D-Young one day.

Another 3 hours condensed into one. Thank god for the fast forward button.

Bit confusing in a few areas. AJ Lee gets a mixed reaction followed by an argument with Punk, who also got a mixed reaction. Fast toward three hours and punk is knocked out by the big show... To a, Erm, ....should I be cheering or not?

Still, big show ends the show looking like an unstoppable beast again, shame they forgot that when randy Orton left him flat on his back earlier in the show.

Sandow was fantastic though.

• Paid Members

Wade Barrett's promo was awesome. Looks like he's bulked up a bit too.

I've had enough of Ryback now. He's been facing Rex and Hawkins in some form for the last month now. His dietary requirements are obviously being missed because he wants more, and by more I hope he fucks up Big Show and sends him packing for a while.

Even though the Lesnar segment wasnt too great, it was still pretty good just because of Lesnar being Lesnar. Also, him having Heyman as his mouthpiece brought back some beautiful memories from 2002.

• Paid Members

There are a number of things wrong with Ryback (number one being he's a shit Goldberg clone, which is mental for a number of reasons), but WWEs roster is too wee for him to run through most of it. They clearly don't fancy him against a Ziggler or Rhodes either.

There is a germ of a star in Ryback but they need to sort him out. He looks great, has a beast of a lariat and the "feed me more" line is getting over. I think Pitcos got it right by saying he comes across as contrived.

What exactly do people like about the Prime Time Players? I can't stand them, same goes for AW.

For me, it's because they've got a bit of personality about them, said personality is enhanced when they're competing against most of the drab WWE roster. They're the goofy jock types, which they're playing very well. They're actually a very good act, thinking about it.

For me, it's because they've got a bit of personality about them, said personality is enhanced when they're competing against most of the drab WWE roster. They're the goofy jock types, which they're playing very well. They're actually a very good act, thinking about it.

They are. Their personas could carry the likes of The Usos or Justin Gabriel and Tyson Kidd to something decent. The sooner the PTP get the titles, the better. Kofi and Truth should be doing something more substantial in singles, anyway. And not wearing suits.

The PTP were the highlight of NXT for their ridiculous pursuit of Tamina. It felt like 2000-era hilarity, with D-Young buying her a coconut tree only for Titus to talk him out of it, then give Tamina the tree himself. Best part, during the angry confrontation about this, Titus told Young they were going to NXT, and Tamina was totally forgotten in exchange for a fantastic celebratory dance.

If you haven't seen it, you should: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L7v8z53qYQ

There are a number of things wrong with Ryback (number one being he's a shit Goldberg clone, which is mental for a number of reasons), but WWEs roster is too wee for him to run through most of it. They clearly don't fancy him against a Ziggler or Rhodes either.

The fake Lesnar/Ryback story got me thinking. Would Ryback be a bit jealous of a guy like Lesnar? Brock came to OVW in 2000, and 2 years later he was WWE champion. Ryan Reeves has floated around developmental since 2004, and 8 years later is gaining a prominent roster spot. If Ryback was actually any good, he'd been brought up ages ago**. All he has going for him is the physique, which isn't enough to succeed in 2012.

**: Yes, I know he emerged on NXT in 2010. Still 6 years before the guy made any TV.

• Paid Members
There are a number of things wrong with Ryback (number one being he's a shit Goldberg clone, which is mental for a number of reasons), but WWEs roster is too wee for him to run through most of it.

True, but there's an easy way around. Bring back the jobbers and former employees to work matches with him.

• Paid Members

Daniel Bryan is just insane over right now. I still reckon his Raw 1000 showing and mingling with The Rock and performance throughout has done him wonders. He's got a great act and character now, with a tremendous interaction with the crowd which adds to his whole persona magnificently. And he's all over the shows yet it doesn't go into overkill. And he's main eventing with Cena. Good for him. I'm a little disappointed their first match was just stuck on Raw with little behind as it definitely belongs on a bigger stage with something juicy behind it and it could really deliver.

I'd love to see D-Bry make his promise to Rock come true, with Cena nabbing the title at some point and D-Bry taking it from him at Survivor Series and then going on to face Rock at the Rumble. Leaving Punk and Cena to be the final two men in the Rumble.

Punks turn has been a bit naff for me so far, a lot of momentum lost there already I think.

• Paid Members
Can Barret have the KO punch as a finisher please? Show doenst need it anymore.

Not having a go, but I find it odd that you think that, considering IMO it's a) the best thing and b) the most over thing about his act.

Anyhow, did anyone else get a slight face vibe off that Barrett vignette? A tough, grizzled face yes, but usually when WWE does things like that they've had a heel crow about how much they like beating shit out of people. Barrett's just doing it to toughen himself up.

Archived