WWE/WCW B-Sides

Forrest

C-Shows are great. They seem to exist in a parallel universe where nothing that happens on Raw, Smackdown or even Nitro mattered. Even the matches that were bad still had some element of fun to them. So, discuss your favourite matches from Heat, Velocity, Shotgun, Superstars, Jakked, Metal, Saturday Night, Pro, Worldwide, Prime, The Main Event and the rest.

I'll start the ball rolling with this...

nWo Saturday Night. For a dozen odd weeks, the nWo had their own bizarre fancam segments on WCW Saturday Night where the illegal man would commentate on tag matches in empty buildings against hilariously-storied jobbers. It still manages to have the bizarrest effects ever used in North American wrestling and Syxx is ring announcer. What's not to love?

• Moderators

I loved the weird matches shows like Worldwide and Pro would have in the late 1990s. Stuff like Bobby Eaton vs Super Calo or Dave Taylor vs Kensuke Sasaki or something. Like some awesome alternative wrestling universe.

You'd also get some super fun Dusty Rhodes commentary. Especially when he'd be mooing away on Prime.

I loved the weird matches shows like Worldwide and Pro would have in the late 1990s. Stuff like Bobby Eaton vs Super Calo or Dave Taylor vs Kensuke Sasaki or something. Like some awesome alternative wrestling universe.

I was watching one that fit a similar description to that earlier today. It was Judo Suwa (or whatever he was called) vs Lightning Foot Jerry Flynn, from a World Wide show which looked to be circa 1998.

I also didn

is a match that I think I've seen mentioned on here in the past. Two very good in-ring performers going out there and putting on a cracking 12 minute match.

There was a time when I didn't really pay much attention to what was going on with the main shows, but I'd watch Heat and Velocity almost every week since you were sure to get a couple of matches featuring guys who didn't have anything else to do on Raw or Smackdown. I'll be looking through this thread carefully and watching most of the stuff that comes up, I loved these sorts of shows.

nWo Saturday Night. For a dozen odd weeks, the nWo had their own bizarre fancam segments on WCW Saturday Night where the illegal man would commentate on tag matches in empty buildings against hilariously-storied jobbers. It still manages to have the bizarrest effects ever used in North American wrestling and Syxx is ring announcer. What's not to love?

This is the first I've ever heard of this, and I'm really enjoying it. It's just wrestlers having a laugh, innit? Probably the reason why the nWo both succeeded and eventually fell. Top find!

• Moderators

Anyone see much of Jimmy Hart's tenure in charge of Saturday Night? It was pretty fucking great, all told. It was like a little side promotion of WCW based around the TV Title of Jim Duggan, and he'd defend it every week against Barry Horowitz, Regal, Robert Gibson, whoever was around that day. It was a mix of the underneath guys and the boys in the Power Plant like Elix Skipper, Mark Jindrak with a basketball gimmick, and Chuck Palumbo in jungle gear along with the Al Greens of this world. It was just basic simple stuff, but that's why it worked.

Also, there's threee episodes of NWA Pro from 1990 on youtube. Watch them for a fine series between Terry Taylor and Arn Anderson for the TV title, THE BIRTH OF THE MOTOR CITY MADMAN, and one of the fucking greatest commentary teams I've ever heard in Lance Russell, Michael Hayes and Jimmy Garvin. The announcing on them is absolutely fantastic.

EPISODE 1

EPISODE 2

EPISODE 3

• Paid Members

The nWo won Wars Games in 1996 and the stipulation was that if the nWo won, they would get their own time on WCW's programming instead of paying for segments like they'd been doing. I remember the announcements would then start with "the following is brought to you by the nWo" with Hollywood Hogan saying "not anymore" after it. It was a good idea when you think about it. And it was excellent as well. The nWo was really a well thought out idea.

• Moderators

I was watching one that fit a similar description to that earlier today. It was Judo Suwa (or whatever he was called) vs Lightning Foot Jerry Flynn, from a World Wide show which looked to be circa 1998.

I also didn

Back in 92 if you didn't have SKY the only fairly recent wrestling you could watch was WCW worldwide. And as such will always hold a special place for me. Imagine that no unlimited matches at one click. Waiting on a Saturday hoping they hadn't changed the lineup form the Radio Times and you'd already missed it or cancelled it in favour of Movies, Games and videos. Desperate for a wrestling fix. Memories of Vader squashing Jumpin Joey Maggs and the Itallion Stallion, Tex Slazenger and Shangai Pierce were a regular fixture as was Zman and Steve Austin defending the tv title with usually a Steamboat promo about his latest injury at the hands of some heinous heel, Tony schiavone and Jesse Ventura on commentary and the Ross Report, WCW magazine with Bischoff. Was great when the Barbarian showed up having ditched the furry tights and horned helmet, in favour of the more powers of pain, facepaint and mohawk and set about taking peoples heads off. Good times.

You'd also get some super fun Dusty Rhodes commentary. Especially when he'd be mooing away on Prime.

The C shows seemed to have some genuine talent on there as well, despite losing most of his matches Chris Adams superkick still looks sweet. I always liked it better than Shawn Micheals version. In one episode of Thunder Adams twatted Saturn in the chops with one that would have won him the match had it not been for the fact they were outside the ring.

One of those moments where it was clear (to me at least) Adams was the better wrestler and could kick the crap out of Saturn if it wasn't for the fact WCW didn't give a crap about Adams but pushed Saturn.

Butch I really hope the two guys in your sig that are facing The Road Warriors called themselves The Raging Rapers

Archived