Motor Racing Nirvana

BigJag

• Paid Members
First time I watched the Sky showing of F1 due to the free weekend, I prefer the Beeb's F1 show.

Me too, no Martin fucking Brundle to put up with.

Lee Mckenzie on the BBC too. No Lnaky bloke this week. Hopefully its the same for Hungary.

DTM on SS4. It's some sort of special event. Similar in some ways to the Race Of Champions. Looks loads of fun. Like a big Scalextric track. Two drivers line up on separate identical tracks and try to out race each other . Then they tag in their team mate in the other car,by pulling into the pits. Sort of a touring car relay race. Closest thing I've ever seen to real life Indy Heat.

It's taking place within the Bayern FC stadium!

That was very good. After the relay team event, they had an individual drivers tournament. All sorts of goings on here. Very close racing and pitstops playing a part. The rain spiced things up too. Nurburgring is the next proper event. Check out the DTM if you get a chance. It's repeated at 2330 tonight on SS3 ,and at 0300 and 0700 tomorrow on SS4.

Overall it was a better version of the Race Of Champions.

Edited by BigJag

First time I watched the Sky showing of F1 due to the free weekend, I prefer the Beeb's F1 show.

Me too, no Martin fucking Brundle to put up with.

Lee Mckenzie on the BBC too. No Lnaky bloke this week. Hopefully its the same for Hungary.

Jakey's covering the Olympics. Not too bad for a guy who started off on children's TV when I was growing up! I still think I prefer the Sky commentary package to be completely honest. Brundle is still one of the best colour commentators the sport has seen and Crofty has got used to not talking for the radio. They still make a few mistakes though which annoy me slightly. I mean, on Sunday I spotted that it the debris at Turn 1 was caused by Massa losing his front wing almost instantly. They were still trying to figure it out right until the moment they saw Massa's Ferrari entering the pits, and they'll confuse drivers in certain teams, but that's almost always corrected. I can't complain too much, they're doing live TV to a huge audience and I'm sat at home watching it.

BBC have a better build-up show I think. On the live races, I'll flick between the two depending on which feature appeals most at the time and then stick to Sky from Brundle's grid walk onwards. McNish has proven himself to be a really good commentator in Davidson's absence which is surprising and his analysis in the Skypad has been second to none. They need to keep him around once Ant is back full time because he really adds something. Johnny Herbert is another analyst who I never expected to be any good at the job, and his commentary in FP3 was informative and entertaining.

Straight on to Budapest this weekend. If Alonso can pull off another good result here, he could be looking fairly comfortable ahead of the summer break. We're only half way through the season, but with the season being so close now and everyone seeming to find their form, having the equivalent of a win in points advantage could be very useful as they finish up in Europe and head around the world. For the first time this season, I'm starting to believe that Alonso is marching towards title number three.

Hungary is one of those circuits where its either a follow the leader chain type race, which really doesn't excite many people. Or it can prove to be very exciting like when Damon Hill almost won in 1997 in the Arrows until his car started playing up and Villeneuve caught him.

Can see Hamilton doing well here and hopefully Button continuing his good form from the last race, also it will be interesting to see how the new rules about engine mapping affect the Red Bulls.

I'm yet to see F1 qualifying, or the support races from today since I've been playing cricket. I'm catching up on the feature races tomorrow morning before the sprint races with a lovely 6am start.

I was going to watch qualifying, but I've gone for the Blancpain Endurance race which is on at the moment with the 24 Hours of Spa. Torrential rain at the moment, and these guys are driving around Spa in the rain. A huge field of 66 GT3 cars (which is bigger than Le Mans for those keeping tabs). In spreading my wings more in the last two years, I've really become a sucker for sports car racing and these endurance races. This'll stay on until I fall asleep I reckon.

I don't know if it's running through the night or whether they're only broadcasting during certain hours, but anyone interested in watching it can catch the live stream: http://tv.audi.com/#/01

Johnny Herbert is another analyst who I never expected to be any good at the job, and his commentary in FP3 was informative and entertaining.

I might be the only one here but does anyone else think that Damon Hill just spends the entire show trying to contradicte and belittle Herbert in pretty much everything he says? As much as I love Jake, Jordan & Square Jaw and will sit through and enjoy their entire pre-show, when it comes to the green light I watch it on Sky.

• Paid Members

Is that because of Brundles commentary?

As far as I am aware. The race footage is the same for all broadcasters. Sky obviously have the advantage with showing every race live.

http://tv.audi.com/#/01

Thanks for the link. Cool highlights being shown at the moment. People should check it out. Except you can't on an IPad. Bloody idiotic selfish rotten Apple!

Edited by BigJag

Is that because of Brundles commentary?

As far as I am aware. The race footage is the same for all broadcasters. Sky obviously have the advantage with showing every race live.

http://tv.audi.com/#/01

Thanks for the link. Cool highlights being shown at the moment. People should check it out. Except you can't on an IPad. Bloody idiotic selfish rotten Apple!

I do prefer Brundles commentary without a doubt but it is more I can't stand Gary Anderson. Something about his voice and delivery is like chalk on a blackboard.

"just like old times Kimi" :D

I hope Lotus do well and take points of Red Bull and Alonso going forward whilst Hamiliton wins races or at least beats Alonso. Button has had a horrible year other than 2 races, at least today he was not as bad as he was in Canada.

A thing that bugs me about the TV coverage of Button and Hamilton is the amount of screen time their dads get. If it's not Lewis' F1 expert dad being interviewed about everything it's constant shots of Jenson's dad with about 5 buttons undone on his shirt.

Edited by CurryAngel

• Paid Members

WRC on Motors TV. A couple of huge crashes. It's Finland the fastest and one of the drivers favourite rallies. Loeb the bore hates it. Still begrudgingly good at it though. The man is virtually unbeatable.

Edited by BigJag