Championship and Lower League Thread 2012/13

patiirc

Looking at the rumour Ipswich are now in for Freedman, I'd regard them as a better fit for them than he would be for Bolton. They have the players, they just can't get the shape right. He'd go in, make them hard to beat and grind out the results that can keep them in the division. Then he'd spend the summer out looking for cheap, workable players the likes of which he's found at Palace in spades. Over the course of a couple of years they could cycle out the higher earners and remake themselves as a younger, hungrier side as I don't think I'm alone in thinking a lot of the guys they've signed in recent times have had fairly full bellies before pitching up at Portman Road. Freedman to Bolton? I just can't see it.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unconfirmed reports via local press's Twitter feeds that Paul Jewell has left Ipswich. Not sure if he's quit or been sacked. Either way, it's about bloody time. Just need to get rid of Simon Clegg, the chief exec who sacked Jim Magilton and hired Roy Keane and Jewell in the first place.

I could never understand them getting rid of Magilton. The problem for me is that Evans and Clegg expect instant success, as Leicester's board do, but won't commit the amount of money required to do so. They sacked Magilton - who seemed to want to take a longer-term, youth-oriented approach to getting promotion - and replaced him with Keane, who was a chequebook manager. They replaced him with another chequebook manager but then didn't give him the chequebook.

• Paid Members
Unconfirmed reports via local press's Twitter feeds that Paul Jewell has left Ipswich. Not sure if he's quit or been sacked. Either way, it's about bloody time. Just need to get rid of Simon Clegg, the chief exec who sacked Jim Magilton and hired Roy Keane and Jewell in the first place.

I could never understand them getting rid of Magilton. The problem for me is that Evans and Clegg expect instant success, as Leicester's board do, but won't commit the amount of money required to do so. They sacked Magilton - who seemed to want to take a longer-term, youth-oriented approach to getting promotion - and replaced him with Keane, who was a chequebook manager. They replaced him with another chequebook manager but then didn't give him the chequebook.

I don't get that impression at all. If anything they've done the exact opposite and given Keane and Jewell TOO much time to try and turn things around, that's why they've sunk so spectacularly. Agree about the finances part, but if they'd been more ruthless with those two in the first place and actually instilled an instant success/winning culture into the club in I think they'd have been on to something.

• Paid Members

UKFF's Norwich based Ipswich correspondent here.

Firstly, glad to see Jewell finally go. He tried his best, but it never worked.

There's loads of names floating about at the moment amongst the fans and media. Some scare the crap out of me (Kean, Curbishley, McCarthy, Butcher, Burley, Mick Mills, fucking Alan Shearer!)

I'd love to see us take a punt on a younger manager with something to prove. Take a leaf out of Norwich's book. Maurico Tarrico is the ideal choice for me, a huge fan favourite, and working with Gus Poyet over the last few years, I think he could provide a good blueprint for the club. He's also a beautiful man.

That will never happen though. Clegg and Evans don't have the balls to make that kind of decision.

So, I think realistically, my choice would be Coyle.

Either way, it's the worst time in the Club's history for a long time. We have been in the top 2 tiers of football since the 50's. Relegation would be disasterous. Crowds are way down, our formerly famed youth academy is producing little to nothing, and our squad is full of journeymen and loanees that don

Dougie Freedman officially annunced as Bolton manager now. Hopefully he does a better job than Coyle had been doing for the past 12 or so months. Jimmy Phillips did alright in his last 2 games, so hopefully that proves it was something down to the man in charge and not the players, as I firmly believe we have a squad capable of winning this league still

But King Keith saw this and quickly changed out system, making 2 subs in the first half and matching them with a 4-5-1 formation. Unluckily for us, the '1' was Marlon Harewood, who offers as much of an outlet as a post box. We finally got the equaliser after a fair bit of pressure late on with a decent goal from Perkins.

I've been a big follower of Marlon's career since he left us and I never understand why people want him to lead the line. He's mentally incapable of playing as a target man. He's always been at his best as a second striker in a front two or playing on the right side of a front three. In the latter role, he did reasonably well for the Robins when he was on loan two seasons ago.

Agreed, and he's actually not been that bad this season playing off Davies. But with Davies having done his hamstring, big Marlon needs to roll his sleeves up for a month and take some responsibility as he's our only fit striker over 5'7".

On a hilarious side note, Mido made his comeback on Monday in the Under 21s against Huddersfield and scored. This isn't the big news. The big news is that the Under 21s just wear generic home shirts number 1-11 and you just pick one up. Not Mido, he couldn't fit into one, so had to nip to the club shop to get a double XL one to fit him.

Genius.

• Paid Members

There's loads of names floating about at the moment amongst the fans and media. Some scare the crap out of me (Kean, Curbishley, McCarthy, Butcher, Burley, Mick Mills, fucking Alan Shearer!)

I'd love to see us take a punt on a younger manager with something to prove. Take a leaf out of Norwich's book. Maurico Tarrico is the ideal choice for me, a huge fan favourite, and working with Gus Poyet over the last few years, I think he could provide a good blueprint for the club. He's also a beautiful man.

That will never happen though. Clegg and Evans don't have the balls to make that kind of decision.

Either way, it's the worst time in the Club's history for a long time. We have been in the top 2 tiers of football since the 50's. Relegation would be disasterous. Crowds are way down, our formerly famed youth academy is producing little to nothing, and our squad is full of journeymen and loanees that don’t appear to give a fuck. That's not the Ipswich way.

The real root of the problem is Evans and Clegg. They're getting it all wrong. I see the next appointment as a huge statement from them, and I hope they look outside the usual suspects and take a risk on someone who can grow with the club, focus on promoting youth, and play football that the fans can get behind.

I totally agree with the sentiment in wanting to promote youth and try and get the fans behind the team again. But is a young manager with something to prove a viable option at the moment considering the position they'd find themselves in? It's a tough environment right now that may need a steady hand to get them out of the mire.

If it were right at the start of a season then absolutely, but with so many problems to sort out I think a steadier hand with experience would be the way to go, at least temporarily. But then there aren't many experienced heads who'd want to go there just for a temporary measure, so that'd defeat my point considerably! Also, it worked for Dougie Freedman at Palace so with the training and playing resources that Ippy have got then maybe a younger man can do the job so long as he has experienced support around him.

Like you say, Evans and Clegg are getting it horribly wrong at the moment and they need to get their arses into gear. Perhaps being bottom of the league might actually be the kick up the backside they need.

Good post. You're not bad you know, for a binner. ;)

Ipswich need a guy who can go out and find them cheap, workable players, which is the lifeblood of any Championship club. They never solve the underlying problem which is they pay way too much for players in wages and fees. It leaves no wiggle room. I think they need to find a guy who can look at the squad and ascertain a long-term vision for the club. He, or somebody who supports him, needs to have the clout to be able to dump the plentiful deadwood in the squad.

• Paid Members

Either way, it's the worst time in the Club's history for a long time. We have been in the top 2 tiers of football since the 50's. Relegation would be disasterous. Crowds are way down, our formerly famed youth academy is producing little to nothing, and our squad is full of journeymen and loanees that don

• Paid Members

Henning Berg looks to have landed the Blackburn gig.

Weirdly, he actually looks similar here to Steve Kean.

_63825753_118148792.jpg

Looks like Venkys were hell bent on getting a former Rovers player in to sweeten the crowd, though they'll put some pin on it citing they wanted someone who knows the club well and has a proven track record in coaching or words to that effect. Good luck to him though, he'll need it with owners like that.

Thing is, his managerial record in Norway is very patchy. I guess he knew they wanted somebody attached to the mid-90's era, having gone for Sherwood and McKinlay. He's said to have won them over with his personality, which surprises me as I thought he didn't have one. However, they have a half-decent squad so it's pretty much a plum job.

Archived