UKFF Stock Dabblers

neil

• Moderators

Any one here do any trading on stocks?

This thread might be enjoyable for us to brag about our gains and cry in despair at our losses.

ps. this might be the least popular thread of all times

• Paid Members

I'm considering getting into it - if there isn't a big gap between the wife's graduation and getting a job to pay the student loans, I might be looking into which is the more viable, paying off a lump sum of her loans, or sticking her loans, tax refund, and my bonus into sum sort of stocks or bonds, and seeing if the stock action will exceed the vig on her loans (5.5%)

• Moderators
I'm considering getting into it - if there isn't a big gap between the wife's graduation and getting a job to pay the student loans, I might be looking into which is the more viable, paying off a lump sum of her loans, or sticking her loans, tax refund, and my bonus into sum sort of stocks or bonds, and seeing if the stock action will exceed the vig on her loans (5.5%)

I'd avoid bonds because they aint yielding shit right now. A risky play that can garner some decent returns is looking at some BDC's (Business Development Companies). Basically companies that lend money to other companies. They have a tax status that requires them to pay out 90% of their profits. I have a couple that pay out monthly dividends of over 10%. I own PSEC and FSC. PSEC is pretty solid, but I'd wait for their price to drop a bit before getting in. I bought in when they dropped to $8.35.

I took a bath when the stock market collapsed in 2008, so I'm not doing that again.

Did you sell all your holdings off then?

No, but I now have a bunch of tech stock that's still worth way less than I paid for it, the stock values never having recovered to their previous highs.

It's my own fault - I bought stock through an employee incentive scheme, and had I sold it on the day it vested I'd have made a guaranteed profit; but I thought I'd wait and see what happened. I go away on holiday for a week, and when I get back the stock market has collapsed :(

• Paid Members
Aye. I've never really heard a good thing about employee stock incentives.

Never mind Loki....I own Nokia stock :crazy:

My company does a sharesave scheme where for three years an amount is deducted from your salary each month and placed in an account with Yorkshire Building Society. At the end of the three years you can either have your money back or use it to buy shares at a discounted rate (based on the price of the shares at the time you started saving).

This has worked out well for me as the discounted price i'll be buying at in July is

No, but I now have a bunch of tech stock that's still worth way less than I paid for it, the stock values never having recovered to their previous highs.

It's my own fault - I bought stock through an employee incentive scheme, and had I sold it on the day it vested I'd have made a guaranteed profit; but I thought I'd wait and see what happened. I go away on holiday for a week, and when I get back the stock market has collapsed :(

I have to opposite of this, I had the chance to start one of these schemes in 08 and by just investing

• Paid Members

My parents turned down the chance for some sweet insider trading - when the price of NEXT stock was 7p (1988), my dad was told to buy as much as possible. He'd have made a bloody fortune, the idiot. I resolve not to turn that kind of chance down, when I have money.

• Moderators

This shit is fascinating to me but I just don't understand it well enough to put money into it.

Anyone got a link to a good n00bs intro guide to get me started? I need to do something with all these piles of money that I am sleeping on; I'm starting to get a bad back.

• Moderators
This shit is fascinating to me but I just don't understand it well enough to put money into it.

Anyone got a link to a good n00bs intro guide to get me started? I need to do something with all these piles of money that I am sleeping on; I'm starting to get a bad back.

I really liked the book "The Neatest Little Guide to Stock Market Investing". It's based on trading US stocks, but I think a lot of the ideas would translate.

There are normally quite a few guides around the internet as well. The most important thing is to consider what type of investing you want to do along with how much risk you're willing to take.

Archived