Whats acceptable in Wrestling?

boshealecta

Ive always wondered and thought about what we accept and what would we accept in wrestling as its a very strange beast. One minute its promoted as a realistic sport, then as a soap opera and more often than not a mixture of the two.

So what is acceptable, obviously in sport everything is realistic, but in a soap opera we have affairs, deaths, sibling rivalry etc. So what do you think is acceptable and what instances which have passed do you feel have stretched that reality too far?

I think its acceptable for example to have Kane and the Undertaker as brothers and Edge and Christian and have family storylines like that. However Ive always found it odd when Tough Enough is mentioned on air, or when Hogan used to come on and promote Hogan Knows Best. Both shows say wrestling is fake and although we know it is, I see it as like an actor in a film suddenly acknowledging that he is acting.

Just wondered what peoples opinions were as Ive always been intrigued by what wrestling can and can not get away with and things that they wouldnt be able to do (such as a storyline death of a character wouldnt work unlike in soaps)

What about Torrie Wilson's storyline dad, I think his name was Al Wilson, he supposedly died of a heart attack in the storyline due to being married to Dawn Marie and obviously he couldn't handle her on the honeymoon or something. Sibling rivalries as you'd said, we've had Kane and Taker, Edge and Christian and the Hardys have feuded too. Affairs, well Edge and Lita, it started in reality but was soon turned into a storyline and there has been loads of different affairs too. We've even had Billy and Chuck in a homosexual relationship (well until they revealed it was a publicity stunt), the Torrie and Dawn Marie kiss too. THe whole Katie Vick storyline aswell, I don't think most soap operas even go that far to be honest.

However Ive always found it odd when Tough Enough is mentioned on air, or when Hogan used to come on and promote Hogan Knows Best. Both shows say wrestling is fake and although we know it is, I see it as like an actor in a film suddenly acknowledging that he is acting

The biggest case of this for me was the Jericho/Mickey Rourke feud. Hurts my brain a bit thinking about it!

Sometimes I think wrestling too obsessed with being 'realistic'. Considering its a low brow form of entertainment there's a lot of people that worry whether it seems 'real' all the time or not. The constant shoots, worked shoots, people thinking wrestling could go back to a time where everything was so much more realistic, people actually striking each other in the middle of something scripted so a crowd enjoys it more. Its fucking mental when you think about it. Dctor Who doesn't worry about how real it seems.

Oh yeah forgot about Mickey Rourke in a film about wrestling being fake then being challenged seriously by Chris Jericho, but the only reason Rourke was there was because of the wrestler film, which then says its all fake......Ahhhh its confusing

Never understood how they wrote Matt Hardy, Lita and Edge into the storyline. From what I remember Kane took Lita off Matt Hardy, got her pregnant, she then lost it and her and Kane became close and then she turned on Kane and got with Edge, yet it was Matt Hardy who was annoyed with Edge for taking his girlfriend, yet Kane getting his girlfriend pregnant didnt matter and surely Kane should be the one annoyed. It didnt make sense to mix reality in with the storyline

Also when wrestlers talk about being best friends, like Triple H and HBK, just because they are in real life, yeah they were together in DX but they have beaten each other to a pulp that many times, how can they still say they are best mates.

Also Ive always been confused about Triple H marrying Stephanie and it being mentioned that Vince is his father in law. Sometimes it exists, other times they arent related, then they are again.

Because its an "entertainment show", i think plugging films and TV shows is perfectly acceptable. Storylines with pregnancies etc. are a bit of a thing of the past, although in some cases "realistic" stories make for interesting vieweing.

• Paid Members
Also when wrestlers talk about being best friends, like Triple H and HBK, just because they are in real life, yeah they were together in DX but they have beaten each other to a pulp that many times, how can they still say they are best mates.

I thought it was weird when they used to acknowledge that Austin was bezzie mates with Jim Ross. In character terms, even as a face, why would a narky, 'don't trust anyone' badarse choose as his only ally the fat, toadying announcer?

Archived