Damacio Page vs. Brad Pickett

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)*

Papy Abedi vs. James Head

Cyrille Diabate vs. Jorgen Kruth

Francis Carmont vs. Magnus Cedenblad

Yoislandy Izquierdo vs. Reza Madadi

Simeon Thoresen vs. Besam Yousef

Jason Young vs. Eric Wisely

What's this?!?! a UFC show?! one of the longest layoff's between shows in a while (1 whole month!) so im pretty sure this smaller show has got some fans more pumped than they should be. Sweet 7 fight main card too, this is gonna be good shit.

I'm pretty sure the prelims will be starting at a decent time UK time seeings as it's in Sweden. Wouldn't be surprised if the main show streams on UFC.com too, but i aint sure.

Let's talk about it...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah I'm really excited about this one. I didn't think the gap in shows would seem so bad with TUF 15, TUF Brazil and Bellator starting but it has seemed like fucking ages now. Doesn't look to be another significant quiet spell in the forseeable future now though so things will pick up.

I really like the look of this card, top to bottom it's full of exciting style fights. The main event has potential to be a war. Thiago's layoff could be a factor though and I fancy Gustafsson to get the win as long as he doesn't get taken down too much. Thiago's got some underrated takedowns and nasty ground and pound. I think Gutafsson's the better stand up fighter though and he's quicker.

Rest of the card, I can see Pickett/Page and Siver/Nunes being fun, crowd pleasing fights. Stann vs Sakara is pretty much a lock for a KO finish and Siyar Bahadurzada's debut is a long time coming. There's been a lot of talk about him so I'm interested in that.

I'm really looking forward to seeing John Maguire and Papy Abedi again too. Excellent card on paper. The Swedes are meant to love their MMA too so I can see the crowd being well into it which is always a plus.

These shows on fuel arent on espn here are they ? Wasnt it only the live on fox and fx fight cards that espn brought?

It depends. The ESPN deal was for PPVs and Fight Nights. Not sure where the FX shows fall into that. The rest has to be negotiated on a show to show basis until the current deal ends in August. They didn't show the last FUEL show though so maybe it will be on ufc.tv.

• Paid Members
These shows on fuel arent on espn here are they ? Wasnt it only the live on fox and fx fight cards that espn brought?

oh possibly, i aint got ESPN anymore so ive kind of lost track.

This could be Gustaffson's coming out party. Against a tough oppenent like T Silva if he wins handily it will open a lot of eyes. I saw a interview where Dana had heard of Forrest Griifin that this guy is "for real" and people do not want to spar with him. Should be a good watch.

I see Stann clipping Sakara's weak chin and getting a Knockout win. Hope Pickett gets back on track, I think he is our best hope for getting a title shot taking place in this country along with Bisping.

• Paid Members

Jorgen Kruth's out of this show with an injury. Tom DeBlass (7-0) is his replacement.

This could be Gustaffson's coming out party. Against a tough oppenent like T Silva if he wins handily it will open a lot of eyes. I saw a interview where Dana had heard of Forrest Griifin that this guy is "for real" and people do not want to spar with him. Should be a good watch.

Yeah I saw that interview, really good interview I thought. The full 40 minute version is here if anyone's interested

Sounds like Gustafsson's been putting the shits up the MMA camps in Vegas. It's rare these days you can get Forrest Griffin to sound excited about MMA but from what Dana said he was raving about Gusty. I really get the feeling we've just seen the tip of the iceberg with him. I was unconvinced by him for a bit but after the way he wrecked Hamill and the ease with how he put away Vlad, I mean Jon Jones didn't handle them guys any more impressively than Gustafsson, it's clear he needs a step up in opposition.

I think it says a lot about him that after his only loss to Phil Davis, he immediately went to learn from him and to fix holes in his game. The next wrestler he faced was Hamill and he obliterated him into retirement. I think part of the reason there's been so little hype on him is because despite the fact he's massive he doesn't look like a typical athlete like Jones or particularly intimidating. And he's got a pretty reserved personality.

Thiago's a step up though no doubt. And he can test Gustafsson in the stand up and on the ground unlike most of his past opponents who were usually strong in one area. It's a big test but if he passes it he's on his way up the contenders ladder.

• Paid Members

yeah Gustaffson sneaked in through the back door really. The good thing for him is, he's in a division where most of the top contenders have already been beaten by the champ so there's a vacancy waiting to be filled as 'contender'. This fight could possibly propel Gustaffson into the no.1 contender role, it's likely that he'd have to fight 1 more time as i think Hendo will take the winner of Jones/Evans but Gustaffson is def. gonna be up there with a win.

Be cool to see what kind of reaction he gets in Sweden too, sometimes these guys fight in America and get little love. It's the same with the Birtish guys and Australian guys, when they fight at home the crowd goes f'n apeshit. MMA is pretty patriotic.

Been excited to read the stuff about Thiago Silva leading up too, coaches saying Thiago's injury free for the first time in years and is looking great, obviously he's had a massive lay off but Thiago claims that the whole steroid thing was to do with injuries as opposed to a performance enhancer. We shall have to wait and see.

With regards to the Dana interview, that MMANYTT interviewer guy (Marcus i think his name is) is really good too, think he's my second favourite internet media guy behind Ariel. I'll watch the video now...

• Paid Members

From ESPN UK's Facebook:

An early Easter present for UFC fans.

We'll be showing the UFC Sweden card at 10.30pm on Saturday 14th April.

Looks as though were just getting the main card.

From ESPN UK's Facebook:

An early Easter present for UFC fans.

We'll be showing the UFC Sweden card at 10.30pm on Saturday 14th April.

Looks as though were just getting the main card.

Good news. ESPN has been picking up all the cards recently. It looks to me like they are trying to get back into the UFC's good books as they realised that they could lose the rights come August.

• Paid Members

Yeah ESPN seems to be making an effort to keep UFC now which is good. If they can re-negotiate in the summer and come to an agreement to have all the PPVs, FOX, FX, FUEL and prelims (and hopefully TUF) on there than I'll be chuffed and more than happy to keep giving them a tenner a month.

I assume we'll be getting the prelims on ufc.tv as usual for this show right?

I'm fairly new to UFC so excuse me if this sounds stupid. But if it start's airing live from Sweden @ 10:30PM is that not really late in Sweden for a show to begin? That'd be 11:30PM??

it's beeing shown on Tape Delay [Live Football to ESPN is more important] as the Main card Starts @ 9PM Local [8PM UK] [Facebook Prelims Start @ 5:30 PM]

Archived