UFC on Fuel TV: Gustaffson vs. Silva

Egg Shen

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I thought all UFC main events were 5 Rounds now. have I missed something? Or is it down to the Sweden sanctioning body?

Thiago Silva was a replacement and took the fight at 3 rounds.

Yeah, and also the original fight Gustafsson/Little Nog was signed before they decided to do 5 rounds for all main events. I think this was the last 3 round headliner.

oh and...

hughesarmbarsgsp.gif

submissions_John_Maguire_Armbars_DaMarques_Johnson_UFC_on_Fuel_TV_2.gif

220px-JohnMaguire1.jpg

• Paid Members

ahhh i noticed the similarity between the Maguire/Johnson sub and the Hughes/GSP sub when i watched it. Great stuff from Maguire, the Brits are delivering in the UFC, i think the standard over here is increasing rapidly, everyone who gets called up seems to be tearing the house down. One worrying aspect was the way Maguire was reacting to being kicked, whats people's opinions on that? was he playing possum?

I'll chime in a little on the main event...i got really f'n annoyed with the commentary during the bout, Florian on Gustafsson probably surpasseed the Mir-Torres love affair we used to get in the WEC. It almost felt like they were told to big-up Gustafsson as much as possible, like they know Jones is out of challenges and they were on a mission to create a valid challenger. Don't get me wrong Gustaffson fought well but it was hardly an earth shattering performance. Like Silky Kiss pointed out Gustaffson fought kinda like a 205lb Dominic Cruz, that bouncing in and out style, it's kind of a fool proof way to fight against a guy Thiago Silva who plods forward looking to land with power, all Gustaffson had to do was avoid the power shots and he was always going to win a decision based on workrate, it's why Dominic Cruz always wins decisions.

What annoyed me most was that even when Silva scored some success they still harped on about how good Gustaffson was, i had the 2nd round (one judge gave it to Silva) fairly even but they pretty much dismissed everything that Silva did.

I've always liked Kenny as a commentator but Saturday night was shameful.

Other than that the rest of the night was pretty awesome, Pickett/Page, Maguire/Johnson and Siver/Nunes were all really good fights.

Siyar just fucking levelled Thiago, it was a faceplant to equal Scott Smith in Strikeforce. I always fancied Siyar (thanks for the money) based on the internet love of him, they always bigged him up on MMAjunkie radio so i was quite surprised to see him come in as an underdog. He's gonna be a great addition to the division, the guy has a nasty personality on him, he'll talk shit and back it up so it's gonna make for some fun fights. He looked like a pretty small 170 though, anyone else agree?

As for Stann-Sakara. There was only ever gonna be 1 winner in a slugfest, Sakara's got some suds on him but he doesn't respond well to getting hit clean. I dare any man in the world to stand in the pocket and trade with Brian Stann, there aint many people who'll get the better of him. First clean KO ive seen from inside the guard for a long time too, brutal.

• Paid Members

quick spot trivia because it was brought up here...

the reason the main event was a 3 round fight was because 5 round fights are no allowed in Sweden, so even if Lil Nog was fighting it would always have been a 3 round fight.

Phil Davis revealed it on Inside MMA.

Archived