Raw Discussion 12th March 2012

tiger_rick

I still maintain that having Punk return only a week or so after MITB was one of the worst moves WWE could have made. What they effectively did by having him sign a contract with little to no explanation was put a buffer on his unpredictability. I feel they could have picked up a lot of momentum by having a free agent, Punk do things outside of the company that were totally beyond expectation whilst holding onto the belt.

Punk doing stuff outside the company wouldn't have helped buyrates or TV ratings inside the company. Internet discussion doesn't always equal money. Of course, Punk being on WWE TV didn't help the buyrates or TV ratings either, but they weren't to know that at the time. They do now, like, and they're persisting with him, fair play to them.

The thing is, it doesn't have to stay on the internet. Punk could have done something outraegous outside the company and then WWE could have reported on it. I feel it would have increased the levels of unpredictability and as people find out about Punk's antics outside the company with the belt, the same people would be keen to find out what the response would be- thus it boosted buyrates and money spent on WWE. It made far less sense to just drop the storyline.

They will never get an opportunity as good as that to boost interest in Punk again.

It's worth noting that some of the most successful marketing campaigns in recent years have come out of online viral advertising. It works and is all the craze at the moment. The controversial Punk storyline was talked about by A LOT of people and had an element of 'going viral' about it.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Christ.

Did anyone in this thread complain about Cole and Lawler chuckling through The Rock's appalling set yet? They did a great job of making it worse than it actually was.

• Moderators
Christ.

Did anyone in this thread complain about Cole and Lawler chuckling through The Rock's appalling set yet? They did a great job of making it worse than it actually was.

Ugh, that really was terrible. You could almost hear Vince in Lawler's headset bellowing at him to laugh, because he hadn't done so in the last 30 seconds. It reminded me of the constant hysterics of the off-camera Big Breakfast crew at absolutely nothing.

• Paid Members
Christ.

Ugh, that really was terrible. You could almost hear Vince in Lawler's headset bellowing at him to laugh, because he hadn't done so in the last 30 seconds. It reminded me of the constant hysterics of the off-camera Big Breakfast crew at absolutely nothing.

Fake laughter during promos is my least favourite WWE noise, maybe even beating the Smackdown pop-enhancing hairdryer (name credit ButchReedMark). However, the commentators corpsing for real is one of my favourite things that can happen in wrestling. There's a great bit on (I think) the latest Botchamania where Cole and Lawler are in bits over some of Tony Chimel's practise announcing.

• Paid Members
Why is there such venom directed towards The Rock ?

Read the thread.

I have read the thread and that is why I am asking the question ?

Well you're not reading it right, are you? Nor the several other Raw threads since The Rock returned? People have given their reasons why they are disliking him right now over and over again, what more analysis do you want?

He's just got the similar problem to when Jericho returned in 2007 and hasn't developed properly into today's wrestling. It's just from being away from the wrestling environment for so long and coming back plus his hefty schedule it must be pretty difficult to come up with something outstanding due his massive break away from the business too. Rock's spent a similar amount of time in wrestling and in the movies too.

It's gonna seem more natural to Cena as he has been around since 2002 so he should be showing himself stronger than The Rock in his promos.

Anyway regarding that.. Rocky's in ring work at Survivor Series was outstanding and he is generally better than Cena.

Like has been said already, the people still go mental for him. There's nothing wrong with The Rock. Just because some lads on the UKFF don't fit into his demographic anymore doesnt mean he's shit.

He gets the biggest reaction out of anyone has the past what, 5 years at least in the WWE. His stuff entertains nearly everyone in the arena, his stuff, whilst not getting monster ratings, is getting the best viewing figures on the show, this is going to be the biggest WrestleMania and most bought, probably ever.

Personally I love The Rock, I can see why some people don't, but to say he's awful is ridiculous, people who are shit would not get the reactions he does. We'll all be wanting him back in a couple months anyway when John Cena is making poopy jokes again and no one garners any sort of reaction from the audience apart from a few CM Punk chants and Cena sucks here and there.

Like has been said already, the people still go mental for him. There's nothing wrong with The Rock. Just because some lads on the UKFF don't fit into his demographic anymore doesnt mean he's shit.

He gets the biggest reaction out of anyone has the past what, 5 years at least in the WWE. His stuff entertains nearly everyone in the arena, his stuff, whilst not getting monster ratings, is getting the best viewing figures on the show, this is going to be the biggest WrestleMania and most bought, probably ever.

Personally I love The Rock, I can see why some people don't, but to say he's awful is ridiculous, people who are shit would not get the reactions he does. We'll all be wanting him back in a couple months anyway when John Cena is making poopy jokes again and no one garners any sort of reaction from the audience apart from a few CM Punk chants and Cena sucks here and there.

Spot on, I know some people on here like to go against whatever the rest of the websites/forums are saying but it's absolute bollocks that when Rock comes out and gets a massive reaction its "Oh it's the same stuff as 12 years ago, he's terrible now" yet when Hogan or Nash or whoever gets a massive pop it's because they know how to work the crowd

I'm not even a big Rock fan but can understand why the crowds go mad for him, even if I don't personally find his stuff that funny, the fact is he's still got a star aura that Cena hasn't, that's why the kids in the live crowds, the men and the women in the crowds all go mental for him

Spot on, I know some people on here like to go against whatever the rest of the websites/forums are saying but it's absolute bollocks that when Rock comes out and gets a massive reaction its "Oh it's the same stuff as 12 years ago, he's terrible now" yet when Hogan or Nash or whoever gets a massive pop it's because they know how to work the crowd

People aren't saying that, though, really. They're saying that 1) he's not as slick as he used to be and 2) Cena's coming off a lot better. We all love the Rock, but right now (deliberately or otherwise) he's coming off second best in this build-up.

As for why people here go against the popular opinions on wrestling websites, I merely direct you to the quote in PITCOS's sig.

Archived