UFC on FX 2: 'Alves vs Kampmann' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

That weight cut and weight gain is beyond a joke. If cant be healthy for Alves. If hes having to cut that much he should be at 185lbs.

I wish the UFC would limit how much a fight can gain after the weigh-ins which will hopefully make it a fair fight and it will put guys in the correct weight division.

For example which really annoyed me was the Belfort Vs Johnson midday after weigh-ins both were around 210lbs which makes its a heavyweight fight NOT a middleweight complete BS these weight divisions.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I hear what you're saying but it's gone on for ages in both Boxing and MMA. The only way to really stop it is to return to same day weigh ins. They stopped that years ago in Boxing for the safety of fighters out of fear they couldn't recover quick enough weighing in the same day and it could lead to injuries or worse.

The whole weight cutting situation is a risk/reward thing anyway. It's not necessarily always a good thing to pack on so much weight post weigh in. It's an advantage early on in a fight because the heavier guy is carrying more power but over a longer fight it can go against you.

Cheers wandshogun. If you had to weigh in on fight night it would teach fighters to go through a very long weight cut like benson Henderson. I'd like to know how much they actually weighed on fight night like we get with boxing. I wouldn't be too fussed if they just capped how much weight a fighter can put back on after weigh-ins it's just false advertising ie the rumble vs belfort.

Gotta agree with the fans I had Ian McCall winning all three rounds utter BS 30-27. What fights was the judges watching loads of leg kicks several takedowns equal control more damage done by McCall. Hopefully McCall will still get his win bonus and offered a shot at the winner of flyweight tournament. But a good fight.

That is a disgrace of a decision, the reffing was horrible for a lot of that fight too in my opinion....

Firstly Leon Roberts is shouting at McCall telling him to watch the back of the head whilst McCall is punching Johnson in the side of his head :confused:

Secondly I think there was a strong argument for the fight being stopped towards the end of the third round, in what way can laying flat out on your stomach tutrtling up your head and face be described as ''intelligently defending yourself''?

I had a bad feeling about this entire tournament with UFC being huge fans of Johnson and Benavidez and neither of them being able to dethrone Cruz I had a bad feeling that this entire division had been created to try and put a strap onto one of them.

Then after them bringing in very respectable fighters in McCall and Urushitani they match them up as underdogs against Johnson and Benavidez who were moving down for 135lbs specifically for this rather than go down the conventional route for a tournament style event and actually draw lots it only furthered my suspiscions that the UFC were hoping for a Benavidez vs Johnson fight to crown a champion out of one of them.

Now I'm not for one second trying to say the UFC ''arranged'' for DJ to be awarded a decision victory should he not be stopped but what I will say is that from the start I didn't like the way there were setting this whole tournament up and that decision has only acted to further my distaste with regards to the whole thing.

Johnson did absolutely fuck all during that entire fight and somehow walks away with a decision victory? You could tell by his reaction when his name was called that even he knew he lost that fight. MMA is quickly starting to piss me off with nonsensical decisions which are seeming to become ever more regular, every time I hear ''don't leave it in the hands of the judges'' it annoys the fucking life out of me...if you can't rely on the judges then just get fucking rid of them...why bother at all with them if they are consistently unable to do their job and make the right decision...if the organisation themselves are admitting that judges are regularly making retarded decisions to the extent that they coin an entire phrase specifically saying not to ever leave it in their hands if you don't want to get robbed then I really think it's about time they took some better steps to stop it from happening.

I'm not usually one for stats being used to point out a winner of fights because I think a lot of the time they can be misleading and not tell the true story of a fight but I think if you watch a fight and see a clear winner, a crowd full of people see a clear winner to the extent that they boo the announcement and start chanting bullshit when the ''defeated'' fighter isn't even a well known fan favourite or hometown hero and then the stats also then go on to show him as dominating the striking and takedowns then it really just further highlights the nonsense of it all.

For me that has tainted the entire tournament to the extent that I really couldn't give two shits who wins the belt because it's a match that should never have happened in the first place.

Fuck yes. Really good win for kampmann. What a win :)

Thiago didn't seem to that spring in his step might of been a bad weight cut and he was going to win IF he didn't take him kampmann down. Thiago should try a bout at 185 at least he can see how he performs without a huge weight cut.

• Paid Members

Excellent night of fights again.

Main event was really good. I thought Alves looked pretty sharp after a rough first 2 minutes. His takedown defence looked good and in rounds 2 and 3 he was outstriking Kampmann pretty clearly I thought. Then he went and blew it with the takedown attempt. I don't know why cos he had Kampmann hurt, if he'd kept striking he'd most likely have got the decision and with how Kampmann looked maybe even the stoppage cos a few more good punches was all he needed imo.

Tremendous comeback for Kampmann though and all credit should go to him for that. Is this gonna be the year of the crazy comeback? It's only March and already we've had Boetsch/Okami, Miller/Guillard, Menjivar/Albert, Barry/Morecraft and now Kampmann vs Alves.

If Condit is determined to wait for GSP then I'd like to see Kampmann vs Ellenberger next. If Condit has to take a fight before GSP then I'd like to see Condit vs Ellenberger 2 and Kampmann vs Rory MacDonald if he beats Che Mills.

Thiago Alves vs Diego Sanchez wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Flyweights

The 2 flyweight fights were really good. Great way to kick off the division although I didn't agree with the Johnson/McCall decision. I had McCall winning round 1, Johnson slightly edging round 2 and McCall winning round 3 probably 10-8. I'll have to rewatch it but it was a bad decision imo. Great fight though, so much going on I was getting motion sickness.

Benavidez looked very powerful and explosive at 125. Nice finish for him and him vs Mighty Mouse should be a fantastic fight.

Philippou vs McGee

Philippou looked pretty good in his win over Court McGee. I've never really been sold on McGee for some reason, he doesn't seem really solid at anything really to me, apart from growing a beard. Philippou's quietly stringing a nice little streak together, I don't see him as a contender but he's decent imo.

Gotta love Ray Longo in the corner talking about McGee's chin "He's obviously got a good beard....and that's not me joking" :laugh:

Prelims were all good aswell. Nothing bad on there and some cool finishes and exciting fights.

Cole Miller vs Steven Siler

I really liked this fight, glad to see Siler win cos I can't stand Cole Miller. Real fun fight though, both had their moments. This would have been my FOTN had it not been for McCall/Johnson.

Daniel Pineda vs Mackens Semerzier

Pineda looked awesome. And the submission was brilliant. I was talking about 145 being in a bit of a building period at the minute in another thread. Aldo's wiped everyone out and apart from his fights there's a big void underneath him in the division where no-one really stands out massively. Well Pineda is exactly the type of fighter the division needs. He's obviously a long way off a title shot but he's doing the right things to climb the ranks and get people talking about him.

TJ Waldburger vs Jake Hecht

This was my Submission of the Night. The transition to the armbar was a thing of beauty I thought. I think Hecht was a bit overconfident for this one, he looked a right cocky fucker coming out singing and looked well full of himself. Reminded me of how Guillard looked on his entrance vs Lauzon last year. Waldburger made him pay. Seems like a genuine good guy aswell.

I suspect Kampmann will get SOTN given how that one came about but Waldburger would be my pick as his submission was more stylish and rare.

James Te Huna vs Aaron Rosa

I like both of these 2 but I've liked Te Huna for a while now. He always goes all out, never has a shit fight and he looks like the 3rd Nogueira brother. He looked proper fired up for this, putting away someone as tough as Rosa that quick is pretty impressive.

Shawn Jordan vs Oli Thompson

This was the perfect opener. 2 big fuckers in a wild brawl, going for the kill at every opportunity. Thought Jordan was impressive but Thompson had his moments aswell. Both gave 100%. I think Jordan looked a little bit sloppy at times, I can't see him going on a run at the title anytime soon but he'll be great to throw in with the middle of the pack guys down the line like Struve, Barry, Herman, Lavar Johnson.

Perosh got an easy win, he's another one quietly putting together a nice winning streak. He's looked pretty solid since dropping to 205. Andrew Craig's upset of Kyle Noke was a bit of a surprise aswell. I thought given his inexperience he put in a hell of a showing, especially under the circumstances (UFC debut, fighting a hometown favourite).

Great card top to bottom.

• Paid Members

Bonuses were

Fight Of The Night - McCall vs Johnson

KO Of The Night - Benavidez

Sub Of The Night - Kampmann

And it's just been announced at the press conference that the McCall/Johnson dodgy decision was actually meant to be a draw, with one of the judges giving McCall a 10-8 for round 3. Dana said it should have went to the sudden death 4th round. It got fucked up somehow and they said the plan is for them to rematch in April.

@danawhite

Dana White Commission screwed up scorecards Johnson vs. McCall was a draw. Should have been a 4th rd. BRUTAL

Aww, man. I decided to watch on a slight delay so I could fast-forward all the adverts, and ESPN/Sky+ finished the record too early so I missed the last round of the main event. Sucks. Happy for Kampmann though. I really like him as a fighter and it looked like he was on his way to a decision loss.

Johnson/McCall was a really close fight, I thought. I don't agree with the decision, but I would have been very happy with a draw and then sudden victory round if UFC judges weren't so opposed to tied rounds. I had the first round about level, Johnson for the second and McCall for the third. Force me to pick a winner for the first and it's tough though: I would have said McCall but I did expect the judges to go with Johnson.

Very impressed with Benavidez.

Yeah I'm glad this has came out because I was absolutely livid when they announced the scores (I had McCall on my bet), there was no way Johnson won that fight and the judge who scored it for him must be crazy. I personally had it 29-27 in favour of McCall, but atleast now thankfully he isn't getting completely screwed. Had it went to the over-time round then I'm positive McCall would've got the finish.

Really good show though in all, glad McGee got beat. He is one of the only TUF winners that I haven't seen a single thing in, he just has no distinct qualities as a fighter.

• Paid Members

Good to see their re-matching. McCall won that fight all day, I couldn't believe the decision. Hopefully we'll get Kampmann/Ellenberger now leading to a title shot. Prelims were a fun bunch too. James Te Huna has some ridiculous power, fucking hell.

Also, Bruce Buffer did a particularly fantastic job introducing the main event. Got me right up for it. What a guy.

• Paid Members

Actual cards, via the Observer.

Sal D'Amato had draw

10-9 Johnson

10-9 Johnson

10-8 McCall

This was ready incorrectly on the air as Johnson winning.

Kon Papai

10-9 Johnson

10-9 Johnson

10-9 McCall

This was read correctly on the air as Johnson winning.

Anthony Dimitriou

10-9 Johnson

10-10 draw

10-9 McCall

This was read incorrectly on the air as McCall winning.

Note that the only judge who stuck to the usual scoring pattern (if you score 10-10 you're a gaylord/you can't score 10-8 without a death certificate) was also the only one who had the obviously "wrong" result of Johnson winning.

Like said above I can see Ellenberger vs Kampmann in the works.

I would like to see Alves vs Sanchez as well. I do not think Alves stock went down too much in defeat, he was winning quite comfortably before he got a bit reckless in leaving his neck open on that takedown, fair play to Kampmann though he was getting tagged with some big shots but still have the resolve to lock in that choke. As Florian said Kampmann has some really underayed submissions.

I had McCall winning 29-27, I could maybe see it being a draw if you take round 1 into account as it was close. What annoys me is if it had of been a draw we would have gotten sudden victory and rightfully so McCall would have a distinct advantage after coming within a hair of finishing late in the fight. The rematch will be a even playing field again, so the judges fucking up really did save Johnson skin also in the sense that McCall would have finished him during that sudden victory round if it would have taken place like it was suppose to.

Benavediz looked excellent, I think regardless of who he faces he will be the first flyweight champion. Overall a decent show though, the UFX on FX/Fuel have been very decent so far.

• Paid Members
That McCall /Johnson fight was a fucking shambles for Johnson to get the win on the cards. Even after the fuck up with the cards, how anyone could have scored that card to Johnson is a a fucking disgrace.

For the judge who only scored 10-9s, it's very easy. All the judges gave the first round to Johnson, and they all gave the third round to McCall. If you consider the second round anything but a blow-out, it's incredibly easy to get the "wrong" result for the whole fight by for Johnson.

Once you throw out the fuck-ups, McCall only avoided losing because two judges both made relatively unusual calls (a 10-10 and a 10-8). Most judges in most fights would have picked one guy to get a 10-9 in round two, and the likelihood is it would have gone to Johnson. Bast on past fights, many and likely most judges would have considered the third round wasn't a 10-8. It's a slightly ridiculous situation where the guy who most viewers would say "won the fight" overall wound up very lucky to get a draw.

In many, and probably most cases, Johnson would have got either a majority or unanimous win, however underservedly.

Archived