WWE Smackdown - *Spoilers* For 12/30/2011

ThePhenom

• Paid Members
I can't see it be Randy v Barrett at Wrestlemania. Their program as been solid enough but Wade isn't going to win the belt and then return to a Orton feud in the next 2/3 months.

I'd say it will be Orton V somebody at Mania for the title but who? Heel Bryan or Henry?

Depends how long Orton's out for. I could see Barrett picking up the title at No Way Out - or perhaps even the Rumble - and Bryan having his rematch on the Smackdown following, with Orton making his return post-match and beating the living heck out of Wade Barrett.

Alternatively, I could see Sheamus in the Smackdown title match.

Yeah Sheamus is my Rumble pick, although i'm probably miles out on that. Can't see Bryan holding on to the Title until mania, but I doubt it will be on Big Show, Wade Barrett or even Mark Henry for that matter. Orton vs Sheamus face vs face perhaps?

Maybe.

The other option could be to pair Daniel Bryan with Michael Cole in a swerve, so you really want to see Sheamus beat the living shit out of him at Wrestlemania. Bryan and Cole could be a fun heel partnership.

• Paid Members

All this talk of WrestleMania just hammers home how stupid they are to take the title off Mark Henry. The chase for the WrestleMania title match is diluted every year by short title reigns and constant switches. This year we had a proper monster champion who could comfortably hold the title for another 4 months and the choice of two perfect candidates to win the Rumble and go on to challenge him in Orton and Sheamus. Whatever they do now will have such little effect by comparison.

All this talk of WrestleMania just hammers home how stupid they are to take the title off Mark Henry. The chase for the WrestleMania title match is diluted every year by short title reigns and constant switches. This year we had a proper monster champion who could comfortably hold the title for another 4 months and the choice of two perfect candidates to win the Rumble and go on to challenge him in Orton and Sheamus. Whatever they do now will have such little effect by comparison.

Yeah but Henry's injured at the moment. Not sure when he's set to return to a full schedule, but at least the WWE have made efforts to keep him relevant on programming without having to compete.

I hope Henry's healthy for the Elimination Chamber, as I want him to take the title and face Sheamus at Wrestlemania. He wouldn't even have to wrestle, Bryan could be beaten and tired with Henry coming out last and just bodyslamming him for the win. He's got his rematch that he hasn't had yet, so he could be put in the Chamber for the shot. Or if Sheamus is set to be in the match, but is attacked by Henry pre match and takes his place, which sets up the big match at Wrestlemania. As long as Daniel Bryan in his current state isn't wrestling in a WHC match at a Wrestlemania I think nearly anything would be better.

• Paid Members
Bryan states that even if he loses next week, his title reign was longer than Big Show's 45 second reign.

Ugh. What was I saying last week about Bryan? They cannot have him acting smug. I don't think the crowd will turn on him, because it's obviously not the intention to make him the heel, but having a face burn a face on how short his title reign was is silly, especially if Show eventually snaps - because really, who could argue with that?

I dunno. Maybe they are planning to turn Bryan, but having Henry still in the mix would be a weird way of doing it.

EDIT: Forgot Henry was hurt. I have no idea where they're going.

Well, I ended up loving this in the end. I skipped through the divas and the Hornswoggle bit, but every bit of what I did watch I enjoyed. The backstage brawl was done wonderfully, I especially liked the fight in the lift. I'm really looking forward to next week on both shows now, there's a lot of exciting stuff happening.

It was a decent SmackDown. Fuck DiBiase and Jinder, they represent the worst kind of WWE midcard booking. But Drew McIntyre's interesting for the first time since the last Elimination Chamber, and Wade Barrett's got a nice new thing to brag about. I don't know what the story is with Daniel Bryan running around annoying Mark Henry, I don't think it does anything for Bryan. The thing with Bryan and Big Show is quite similar to the CM Punk/Jeff Hardy feud, which isn't a good sign if Bryan's meant to be staying babyface. I enjoyed the Sheamus thing, Slater was on top form on this show.

I thought the opening with Booker, Cody and Goldust was brilliant, one of the best promo segments this year. I'd be perfectly happy with Cody kind of nicking the old Orton/Jericho role of taking out the "legends", especially if they're guys who can still go and do great interviews, like Booker and 'Dust. I'd love to see him interact with Steamboat, Piper and Regal too at some point. Maybe beat up Arn Anderson too.

Pleased that Drew's on Smackdown. Match with Zeke wasn't a patch on his 2011 Superstars stuff, but it's Zeke, so you couldn't expect much. Storyline is interesting too, and will hopefully make Drew relevent again at the top end of the card.

I agree with PITCOS about Jinder and Ted. The match was fine for what it was, but it's the same thing over and over, with no real difference except Jinder actually won. And by the time that happened, most had probably lost interest or fast forwarded. I don't mind a good one-off match with no real story implications, but these two are treading water, and could probably be used better.

Big Show turning heel, assuming it does happen, could be amazing. He's easily been one of WWE's best wrestlers this year, and I'm quite excited to see him against Daniel Bryan next week, and hopefully a couple of more times throughout the year.

Sucks that Orton is out for a little while now, although some reports have said it will be only a month or so, as opposed to the six months stated elsewhere. Either way, he's also been brilliant throughout 2012, and he'll be missed. It does potentially lead to big things for Wade Barrett though, and if Orton is out for a while, I'd like to see Wade lift the title from Bryan at some point. If played right, this fued with Orton really could be the making of him. Fair play, he's improved a fair amount in the ring, and promo ability is superb. Could be a big star if panned out correctly. A fued with a babyface Christian prior to Orton's return would make for some really good matches I'd imagine.

I really enjoyed the show, no filler match either, first time in yonks?

Great to have Dustin on TV, I think he'll end up siding with Cody against Booker, blood being thicker than water.

Anyone else think Bryan will be the one who turns? I have a feeling he'll retain by kicking show in the goolies or something.. D Bryan just too bland as a face champ.

glad to see them doing something interesting with Drew Mac, but I think he'll need some help getting over, Sheamus could oblige. Say Seamus faces Hunico, the big fella interferes, Teddy Long makes the match Hunico & his goon, vs Seamus & a partner of his choosing.

Seamus goes to the back, finds Drew Mac moping about, gives him a pep talk & they go out & kick some arse.. could work!

Whatever happens, boths shows are must see next week.

Archived