Should Weed be legalised?

RancidPunx

Should Weed be legalised ?  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There's a case for classifying superskunk differently to resin or normal grass, maybe. They are as different as beer and vodka, in many cases.

The whole debate is morally bankrupt as if it was done purely on addiction factor and abuse danger, nicotine and alcohol would have to be banned.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I've seen a few documentaries, I think on the BBC, that have looked into the effects with the "super strong" variants. I can't remember the exact details, but something to do with the balance of THC and cannabaloids(?) being swayed way towards one or the other which occurs with "super strong" weed. When giving test cases the super strong weed they experienced paranoia at a much higher rate than smoking regular weed.

Paranoia and schizophrenic episodes are clearly linked to violence. Therefore it's casually related to weed. Saying "it's not the weed, it's the person" is akin to saying "guns don't kill people, people kill people". Stupid logic, and no surprise to see Kiffy bleating on about it.

I've seen a few documentaries, I think on the BBC, that have looked into the effects with the "super strong" variants. I can't remember the exact details, but something to do with the balance of THC and cannabaloids(?) being swayed way towards one or the other which occurs with "super strong" weed. When giving test cases the super strong weed they experienced paranoia at a much higher rate than smoking regular weed.

Paranoia and schizophrenic episodes are clearly linked to violence. Therefore it's casually related to weed. Saying "it's not the weed, it's the person" is akin to saying "guns don't kill people, people kill people". Stupid logic, and no surprise to see Kiffy bleating on about it.

I think the key aspect is the differential between use and abuse.

Casual weekend binge weed smoking's statistically alot less likely to lead to violence than casual weekend binge drinking, I don't think there's much doubt of that. But when you get to the stage you're smoking strong weed constantly there's a much higher chance it'll fuck you up in some way, in the same way that being constantly drunk will probably fuck you up (though again, you'll get the odd happy drunk, nothing is absoloute with these things).

Smoking a bit of weed from time to time is harmless fun for most people (not to me though, makes me paranoid as fuck, so I don't smoke it, which seems an obvious response) in the same way as a drink here and there is fine for the vast majority of society. If we were to base the question of legality on the sort of extreme cases brought up by thunderplex I think we can all agree that, looked at under the same reasoning, booze would be banned tomorrow.

And that's kinda what piss's me off about the debate, people bring in the case of personal responsibility for alcohol and say you can't punish the many for the actions of the few. But in the case of weed and most other drugs, people demand we punish the many for the actions of the few. Seems like massive hypocrisy to me.

Try reading what I actually write, instead of scanning, misunderstanding, and having a dig.

There's a good chap x

• Moderators

No. Before you said "weeds not to blame", and it clearly is when there is a growing trend for stronger weed which has been shown in research studies to cause paranoia amongst subjects who have NO PREVIOUS history of it.

Alcohol may increase aggression in some people, but I've not seen any link to paranoid schizophrenia. That's quite the difference.

No I didn't, do pay attention old boy, I questioned the logic of "He smokes loads of weed, he broke his missus's jaw, it's cos he was stoned" which was a fair point really. He gave evidence that once weed was removed, his behaviour improved significantly, and I accepted the point.

And on your point that alcohol causes aggression but doesn't cause paranoid schizophrenia, I'd have to counter with the fact that it does, quite regularly, lead to death. By acute alcohol poisoning, liver failure, good old vomiting to death on your own vomit, etc etc etc. While weed's yet to (directly) cause death in anyone.

And I'd look up things like alchohol-related psychosis (not exactly schizophrenia, but not a million miles off) how often it can lead to depression, and various other fun mental conditions. People get plenty mental off booze, suffer worse physical affects, die, etc etc. It's worse, it's not even a debate.

To be fair, when I'm described as "Bleating on," about stuff I didn't even say, by people who haven't bothered too read what I've written. It's a little tricky to be entirely respectful with my answers, but I'll do my very best sir.

I don't see how it ever will be legalised but I think that it should. My main reason is this shit keeps getting stronger and stronger so we need to step in and regulate it. Im perfectly happy to smoke a bit of pondy shit but many of my friends have become unbearable snobs when it comes to their choice of grass. They will refuse to smoke anything unless its super dooper bupa skunk.

Of course I love it and the highs can be fantastic but I can tell this is the stuff thats going to fuck with me in the long run. On a side note, the thing i found about youngsters starting on weed compared to alcohol, is people seem much more inclined to smoke every day as opposed to drinkers who stick to the weekends.

I think it should be legalised and classified with proper percentages like alcohol. We also need to hand common sense back to soceity but thats a whole different converstation. What i mean is that it's legal for a fella on his 18th birthday to go and buy 10 bottles of vodka, but if I forget my ID when trying to buy a bottle of beer after work, I'm turned away. If you didn't serve the super duper skunk to kids then I think we'll be ok.

Finally, everyone fucking smokes it. I swear. Obviously I will always be drawn to similar social circles but everyone fucking smokes it. Anyone I meet to do with music or filmmaking enjoys a spleezle it seems. Legalise it, tax it and give me a fucking eighth that weighs 3.5.

• Moderators
To be fair, when I'm described as "Bleating on," about stuff I didn't even say

Except you did, and you went on your usual boring/whitenoise "big_mickey" attack to Thunderplex. Chest Rockwell called you out on it too. Just because you accepted his very valid points doesn't excuse you from it.

Also, your whole "yeah but alcohol" is a a strawman argument, and I can't be bothered to argue that.

I think legalising it might even deter (I dont think thats spelt right) people from using it. I think it would eventually become a bit like smoking ciggarettes in that it would be looked down upon as something fucking up your health and your an idiot if you do it type of thing.

Archived