What if HBK jumped to WCW...

tom

• Paid Members

Nitro would have continued to kick raws ass for a very long time to come. Maybe have put the WWE out of it all together.

Undertaker vs HBK was a killer fued that would have never happend.

HBK vs Bret wouldnt have happened meaning vince wouldnt have had to scew him thus making the perfect heel to face off of Austin.

DX wouldnt have been born, and who knows what would have happened to HHH if it wasnt for that Angle.

IMO the whole wrestling biz would be totally different.

Not so much shawns in ring work but the angles and people he made, had a huge difference on the course of WWE

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Would he have had to change his name? As daft as it sounds, I think that would have an affect on his popularity.

But yeah, as much as I like the Idea of having Shawn on my old WCW tapes and the potential awesomeness he could have added, I think he

It's interesting to think would Vince's character have come out as much with Austin without SS? If Michaels had gone over, Bret would have stayed surely. I still think WCW would of ruined Shawn Michaels, they wouldn't of known what to do with him. He'd more than likely of ended up a wrestling tragedy.

A couple of arguments that have sprung into my head specifically about what would have happened to Shawn are

1). His back was still on its way to being fucked and would have gone out some time in 98 meaning he may have got in a quick feud with a couple of US title level guys, perhaps wrestled DDP on a B Level PPV where hogan wasnt wrestling and then been done.

2). He wouldn't of had his injury as the RR98 match was the catalyst and we would have got 2 more years of HBK in WCW. Perhaps reaching the top in the declining 99-00 era. Been an nWo extra till late 98 but ultimately been so fucked up on drugs a comeback in 02-03 wouldnt have been possible with the WWE.

• Paid Members

Your all counting on Hogan being in the NWO.

What if the 3rd man was HBK?

As i said it would have changed the face of wrestling as we know it. As for him being used in a B team? NO WAY shawn might have been a bit messed up but he carried the wwf with his promos and matches. Even WCW wouldnt have stuck him in a tag team with scott norton! Shawn would have had the title at some point.

Depends on certain circumstances, and when he went.

If he went in 96, chances are he would've been the third man, Hogan might not have turned heel unless he joined later on. In which case Hogan would've led the WCW forces against the NWO and the whole thing might've been wrapped up by Starrcade 96. Michaels, Nash and Hall would've dropped down the card slightly to feuding with the four Horsemen, DDP and Luger. While Hogan, Savage, Flair et al continued to headline. Plus Sting may never go 'crow' freaky.

If it was 97, and the fueds were already underway, Michaels probably joined the NWO either way and feud with Flair, Arn Anderson, Chris Benoit and maybe going up to Randy Savage and Roddy Piper. But then the wheels would've fallen off. Michaels was very difficult by this stage and in WWF he was able to get away with it because, apart from Bret Hart, he was the headline attraction. In WCW, I'm sure Hogan would talk him down, Michaels would've gotten lippy and punished. He'd be back in WWF by 99 a la X-Pac.

Of course one thing to take into account is Michaels private life. He married a former Nitro Girl, in theory he would've met her earlier and either driven her away with his attitude or reformed at an earlier stage. Never know.

• Paid Members

Hogan was already the 3rd man by the time this fiction situation would have happened.

Also, there wasn't a chance of anyone being the third man other than Hogan. Its all rumours and shit talk that it would have been anyone else. Hogan isnt daft. He knew he knew he needed to turn.

As i said it would have changed the face of wrestling as we know it. As for him being used in a B team? NO WAY shawn might have been a bit messed up but he carried the wwf with his promos and matches. Even WCW wouldnt have stuck him in a tag team with scott norton! Shawn would have had the title at some point.

Shawn Michaels never drew money and WCW didn't know how to handle stars. The idea that it would have changed wrestling (especially during the biggest boom period in wrestling history) is fucking laughable. He'd have been in the Wolfpac and feuded with Flair and Piper.

Hogan was already the 3rd man by the time this fiction situation would have happened.

Also, there wasn't a chance of anyone being the third man other than Hogan. Its all rumours and shit talk that it would have been anyone else. Hogan isnt daft. He knew he knew he needed to turn.

Shawn Michaels never drew money and WCW didn't know how to handle stars. The idea that it would have changed wrestling (especially during the biggest boom period in wrestling history) is fucking laughable. He'd have been in the Wolfpac and feuded with Flair and Piper.

I think saying "WCW didn't know how to handle stars" is a bit of a sweeping statement. Sure, we all know how badly they fucked up Bret, but in their defense they took Nash and Hall (who were big stars in WWF during a down period) and turned them into the two biggest talking-points in pro wrestling. Nash and Hall were much bigger stars in WCW than they were in the WWF.

Also, I'm sure I've heard many people say that Hogan had to be convinced all day that turning and being the 3rd Man was the right thing to do at The Bash at the Beach. Didn't they have Sting waiting to do it in case Hogan bailed out?

• Paid Members

The Hogan had to be convinced is just bollocks though isn't it? Especially with who's involved. Bischoff, Sullivan and Hogan. Its a lie that keeps on spinning. In 1996. There's no way Hogan wasn't turning. His run was over and Hall and Nash were drawing big ratings without him on the show. There was no other option but for him to turn.

Also, how did WCW treat Hall and Nash? The nWo break up was always meant to be Hall and Nash vs Hogan and whoever. That never happened. Hall and Nash played second fiddle to Hogan for years with no pay off. If it wasn't for Hall and Nash knowing how to handle themselves, WCW wouldnt have had a clue. Imagine how Michaels would have done under Hogan and Bischoff's thumb.

The Hogan had to be convinced is just bollocks though isn't it? Especially with who's involved. Bischoff, Sullivan and Hogan. Its a lie that keeps on spinning. In 1996. There's no way Hogan wasn't turning. His run was over and Hall and Nash were drawing big ratings without him on the show. There was no other option but for him to turn.

Also, how did WCW treat Hall and Nash? The nWo break up was always meant to be Hall and Nash vs Hogan and whoever. That never happened. Hall and Nash played second fiddle to Hogan for years with no pay off. If it wasn't for Hall and Nash knowing how to handle themselves, WCW wouldnt have had a clue. Imagine how Michaels would have done under Hogan and Bischoff's thumb.

Things didn't pan out amazingly for Hall and Nash after the nWo high points, but Nash was still a consistent main event talent who ended up booking, not really that bad was it? Hall fucked himself really! Michaels may well have gone the Hall route rather than Nash though, to be fair.

I agree there is a fair chance that Michaels attitude would rub up against the likes of Hogan and he may well have been back-burnered a bit, but he still would have entered the promotion as the WWF's top guy, and the one guy who could bring WCW's Main Event matches up to the standard of the rest of WCW (as during that period, the WWF was have blistering main events, but with a dull mid-card, and WCW was often the other way around).

Regarding hogan's turn...

I've heard that story about him a hell of a lot, yeah it might be bullshit, but none of us know either way. It he hadn't turned, he still had the possibility of coming in as the saviour of WCW to fight the new invaders. Hogan/Sting/Savage Vrs The Outsiders would have been a big deal too i think, though obviously not as shocking as turning Hulk. There was always the risk that a heel hogan wouldn't have been the merch machine that the nWo ended up being. It was a big risk.

• Paid Members

A thing that is always missed from this story is that Hogan's contract was up in December 96. If something didn't change dramatically, they wouldnt have gave him a new contract. For much of 1996, Hogan was never there anyway. Hogan went off to film the Secret Agent Club and came back with ratings and buyrates higher than when he'd left. If Hogan didn't turn his career around, they weren't going to pay him that $3.5 million a year. Why would they need to if Hall and Nash were doing the same business? I believe Hogan was only working under 6 month deals until the WWF came niffing about for him during the nWo years. Hogan would have probably ended up back in WWF if he'd have remained a dull face. WCW might not have have the big boom period (that was triggered by Hogan's heel turn), Sting might not have turned into crow Sting, with Hogan in the WWF, we might not have seen the rise of Austin, Foley and Rock. Thats why the boom period was as much luck as much as anything else. So many things happened that nobody planned. If Michaels didn't 'lose his smile' we wouldnt have got Austin's face turn at WrestleMania 13. If Goldberg hadn't have put his hand through a window the Finger Poke of Doom would have worked etc.

• Paid Members

Fucking laughable?

Without shawn bret would have dropped the title to who ever he was asked to. No need for vince to be involved. Without Vince, Austin would never got over as well as he did. With no Shawn i would suspect HHH would never have made it to the big time. Tyson with bret? Not a great mix is it, so that might not have gone down. Even Bich said Tyson helped the WWF turn the corner.

As i said above its not what Shawn brought to the ring, its the shit storm he brought with him.

Now whats so "fucking laughable" about that.

Archived