Friendly Advice for wrestlers sending their details to Richard Jubb an

thepigmanandyhogg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

To the op - that's the exact reason I brought the written contract thing up mate, Everythings fine until a twat acts like a twat. In every other part of life, I personally make sure discussions with companies/providers are done via email, so I have written/digital proof of what was discussed should I ever require it, such as hopefully avoidable events like small claims courts etc.

The thing is, (people in general) need to be pro active and in fairness, not lazy. Not having a contract for paid work is mental, I don't know how this wasn't sorted a decade ago. Like I mentioned you can get a contract written up for free with help and direction from Citz' advice. If anyone disregards their agreement on paper, then you can go back and get free legal advice from citz advice and you have written contractual proof.

For the sake of an hours contract writing and advice, the 10 seconds it takes to post/email the contract to the promoter (or wrestler) before a show, I'd say it's worth it to guarantee payment will always be made one way or another (legally).

From the point of view of any wrestlers or promoters reading this topic, why does this not happen?

In fairness though, fans are just as bad, the people who had digital proof of 1pw/wrestleslam scams come to mind. Some of which were pro active and got money back, others would rather use that time it takes to look at legally options to rather cry about it on here over and over again. (just to say, I got 100% refund from 1pws Nash event after legal threats were discussed). I've mentioned that just to show that it can work.

Surely many UK wrestlers would be against contracts because it's often a cash-in-hand, money on the side type of situation? Wrestlers don't tend to earn much over here and I imagine quite a few don't bother to declare it, so perhaps having a paper-trail is not the best of ideas for them.

Not saying everyone or every company is like this, for sure there are many being run as proper, legit businesses, but I doubt all of them are!

Wrestling etiquitte on payment and stuff like that is complete and utter bullshit!! Who made the 'rule' that wrestlers get paid in cash?? It's bullshit! I run a business, and the wrestlers who work for me get paid with a cheque. Why do they get paid by cheque? Because it's easier for me to keep a record of it for when I do my end of year tax returns, because if somebody cashes one of my cheques, they can't deny recieving payment off me. There are occasions when I do pay cash, but it's very rare and when I do, it's all recorded.

There's so many wrestlers who bitch and moan about "cowboys wrecking the business" or "piss pots all over the place", yet those same wrestlers want to get paid 'cash under the table'....now whose the cowboy? It's about time those people who talk about respecting the business, actually start treating it like a business.

• Paid Members
Wrestling etiquitte on payment and stuff like that is complete and utter bullshit!! Who made the 'rule' that wrestlers get paid in cash?? It's bullshit! I run a business, and the wrestlers who work for me get paid with a cheque. Why do they get paid by cheque? Because it's easier for me to keep a record of it for when I do my end of year tax returns, because if somebody cashes one of my cheques, they can't deny recieving payment off me. There are occasions when I do pay cash, but it's very rare and when I do, it's all recorded.

There's so many wrestlers who bitch and moan about "cowboys wrecking the business" or "piss pots all over the place", yet those same wrestlers want to get paid 'cash under the table'....now whose the cowboy? It's about time those people who talk about respecting the business, actually start treating it like a business.

I think you're the first promoter I've heard of who doesn't pay cash-in-hand, and it seems to work.

I remember after my debacle of a show and contemplating a second one, I broached the topic of contracts with a few wrestlers after fees magically went up on the day of my first show, and I got laughed to pieces.

• Paid Members

I think you're the first promoter I've heard of who doesn't pay cash-in-hand, and it seems to work.

I remember after my debacle of a show and contemplating a second one, I broached the topic of contracts with a few wrestlers after fees magically went up on the day of my first show, and I got laughed to pieces.

To fair, most of the time stuff like that is a test on the promoter. I've heard many stories of wrestlers taking the piss a bit on pay (saying they need more than they agreed on prior to the show) just to see if the promoter will go along with it.

i've also heard of stories in which some workers had asked for very high wages from guys who seem a bit dodgey, in advance, again just to see if they can get away with it.

Swings and round-abouts.

• Paid Members
To fair, most of the time stuff like that is a test on the promoter. I've heard many stories of wrestlers taking the piss a bit on pay (saying they need more than they agreed on prior to the show) just to see if the promoter will go along with it.

i've also heard of stories in which some workers had asked for very high wages from guys who seem a bit dodgey, in advance, again just to see if they can get away with it.

Swings and round-abouts.

Yeah, I was 18 and unwise. Quickly found promoting wasn't for me and bowed out.

It's all about communication really, when I book a wrestler I let them know I pay by cheque, if they don't like it, then they dont have to accept the booking. I think a lot of promoters or start up promoters assume wrestlers will only accept cash because they've been told 'thats how we do it in the wrestling business'.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick reminder, as they are running again

http://www.facebook.com/CityofSteelWrestli...73267462727072/

Before you Book a new wrestling show, you may want to pay the workers you still owe expenses to for the last show for, and for training, and also to the workers whose cheques, that they received very late off City of Steel Wrestling City of Steel Wrestling, bounced. So if your bank account is bouncing cheques for previous workers, how are you intending to pay the new ones? Its very insulting to be booking shows with new workers, when you havent legitimately sorted outstanding payments from September 2011 and earlier.

http://www.facebook.com/CityofSteelWrestli...73267462727072/

Anyone else see the coincidence that a promotion running a show in Doncaster has some financial irregularities?

• 3 weeks later...

I can not begin to describe how angry I am today. You see I found out that when I wrestled for the CSW back in September I thought it was for a good cause. The show had been promoted as to benefit the National Autistic Society. As a family member of mine has Autism this charity is very close to my heart.

After all the problem with money attached to these shows I didn't think they could get any worse. They could!

You see the money raised never made it to the charity! For 4 months the money as been left unpaid! That's right the NAS had recieved no money from the CSW or the those in charge! They have had to instruct the fundraising standard board to investigate! Of course as soon as the FRSB got involved the money was instantly paid and an apology of delay as made! 4 months late but hey, happy the money was finally in the right place.

I was happy in the knowledge that the charity had their money and leave it at that!

However, I now see a 'thank you' letter from the NAS being paraded on the CSW facebook page and I had to tell the story!

It begs the question, if concerns were not made, if the FRSB had not investigated, would the money of ever been paid?

Before people start shouting and calling people liars etc... I will let you know I have all the details, contact names and an e-mail trail that I'm sure will make very good reading.

So this show was for CHARITY and these wrestlers marched the promoter to a cash point to get their "discounted" wages? I know you gotta make a living and all and can't be expected to sacrifice your body for free, but remind me again why you agree to work charity shows when it's dubious enough the charities in question won't see any of the money?

So this show was for CHARITY and these wrestlers marched the promoter to a cash point to get their "discounted" wages? I know you gotta make a living and all and can't be expected to sacrifice your body for free, but remind me again why you agree to work charity shows when it's dubious enough the charities in question won't see any of the money?

I believe the money for the NAS was to be made up from a percentage of the gate and from collection buckets and a raffle consisting of prizes donated by local companies. The majority of the donation would have been made up of the latter two so there was no connection to the workers wages.

The workers on the show had no reason to believe the donation wouldn't be paid, and were within their rights to chase monies owed, doubly because most were working just for expenses with it being a charity event.

Whichever way you look at it, the NAS should have received their money MONTHS ago, not just because of the investigation catching up to the relevant party.

Archived