Friendly Advice for wrestlers sending their details to Richard Jubb an

thepigmanandyhogg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 2nd show at Arkwright (just out of Chesterfield) was very poorly attended. It was a real shame all the guys worked really hard and me, the wife and out 2 boys loved it. Credit to all the wrestlers involved. It's a real shame you had trouble getting your money as you all deserved every penny.

I understand why wrestlers would only want to be paid in cash, but is there any of industry in the world where you can demand you only get paid in cash? And getting paid weeks after the show.....if it was the arrangement madde by the promoter then that's a pretty normal thing to happen in any other walk of life, so why not in wrestling. Obviously none of that matters if people weren't paid the full agreed amount though.

• Paid Members
that's a pretty normal thing to happen in any other walk of life, so why not in wrestling.

Because of stuff like this, and similar instances where people don't get paid at all. Wrestling at this level isn't exactly up to the standards of other lines of employment when it comes to professional processing of payment.

• Paid Members

I still don't understand why wrestlers don't have a contract written up and the sum of money and promotions name amended for rach show. It's a similar gig to a band playing a show, after we as a band got jipped once or twice, we sorted a contract out and took it/submitted it to each gig. The promoters always signed, only one didn't pay up, we reminded him he signed a contract and was paid in full 2 days later.

No offense to wrestlers, but you work for cash in hand, you know that the wrestling scene is full of scamy twats, why not protect yourself?

Despite CSW claiming all workers were paid the correct amount, I myself was short payed by a considerable sum

As for why wrestlers work like that, as I said I myself have never experienced a problem in 15years. There is a long standing ettiquette and way of payment, which in general British Wrestling adheres to.

I still don't understand why wrestlers don't have a contract written up and the sum of money and promotions name amended for rach show. It's a similar gig to a band playing a show, after we as a band got jipped once or twice, we sorted a contract out and took it/submitted it to each gig. The promoters always signed, only one didn't pay up, we reminded him he signed a contract and was paid in full 2 days later.

No offense to wrestlers, but you work for cash in hand, you know that the wrestling scene is full of scamy twats, why not protect yourself?

They should, but most wrestlers work for anyone who hires them and therefore they dont trust them.

If booked they should send out contracts to the promoter who in turn would sign and agree to using their services, payment terms etc should be in the contract.

But saying that I can imagine non of them want paperwork and thats why cash in hand is the 'industry standard'

• Paid Members

Ahh well, it's so easy to do and *can be written up for free. One piece of paper stating the obvious, get it signed before the performance and that's it, legally covered.

Again, it's not a knock on wrestlers and I understand that sometimes it won't cross the mind until you get ripped off. If it's a case of you can't be bothered then your asking for trouble.

It's worth it really. Unless your happy enough with making sure you get paid the old fashioned way.

I'm actually quite surprised that wrestlers are happy to go with this sort of arrangement, at what point do you become a big enough name that you do get a contract or does it not happen at all. Does make you wonder if there would be so many 'missunderstandings' if it's all down on paper. I know we contract every band we book and even then a good chuck of them get the wrong on of the stick till you point out what's written in the contract so if you're just going off a handshake agreement I'm not surprised there's so many problems. Is this just a British thing or does it happen in Europe / USA as well?

To be honest I can see the validity of everyones posts about contracts etc.

When people enter the world of British Wrestling you are introduced, or gradually educated in lots of different bits of ettiquette and customs.

The majority of promoters, if not all of them actually come to think of it, pay the same way, and agree on fees or payment the same way. It is all carried out as a a verbal transaction and contract rather than a written one. i am not saying either way is right or either ways is wrong, just whythe majority of wrestlers and promoters work a certain way.

The traditional method has served me well for 15 years, unfortunately now it has been abused, abandoned or ignored by someone who has seen fit to pay workers late, and in some instances short.

There is still expenses dating back to the end of February outstanding to one of the other trainers.

Archived