Game Cheats that never worked.....

Kata Ha Jime

• Paid Members
Blood and Goro on Mortal Kombat, SNES. You had to sellotape a 2p coin to the top of the cartridge to give it extra weight, then input a 30-button code between two of the startup screens or something. Me and my mate spent a month doing this before the next issue of the magazine that printed the cheat came out, and then we found out it was an April Fools joke.

Yup that one had me too. Them's were the days.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember reading in a Playstation magazine that if you put in a certain combination of buttons during a Dudley Boyz match on Smackdown 2 or 3 it would unlock a special Bubba Bomb. The Bubba Bomb consisted of Bubba flying a helicopter out and dropping a bomb on the ring. I never actually believed it even back then, suffice to say I did try it and nothing happened!

• Paid Members
Blood and Goro on Mortal Kombat, SNES. You had to sellotape a 2p coin to the top of the cartridge to give it extra weight, then input a 30-button code between two of the startup screens or something. Me and my mate spent a month doing this before the next issue of the magazine that printed the cheat came out, and then we found out it was an April Fools joke.

Slightly off tangent, When I was 10 Mortal Kombat was released for the Master System. The old ABACABB, Mega Drive cheat for the blood and gore was well known, but no one seemed to know the cheat for the Master System. Me and a mate of mine embarrassingly went around the only game shops in our town (Fucking Woolworths and a crumby place named Computability), to actually ask the people who worked if they knew the cheat. Surprisingly no one had a fucking clue and the old woman in Computability looked me my stunned as I described the difference between Sub Zero's lame ass Uppercut finisher, opposed to the spectacular 'Head and Spinal Cord rip' when the cheat was enabled.

I remember going to Weston with my parents on a bus one morning months later and reading the Saturday Daily Mirror. They always had a games section in the middle and right there was the code in all it's glory. 2,1,2, Down, Up. I nearly shit myself with excitement. The bad thing was I was sat on a bus heading to Weston and wouldn't be home for about 12 hours before I could play. Heads fucking rolled when I eventually got home.

What was the SNES cheat BTW?

not necessarily a cheat, but several cheat sites had a way of unlocking hulk hogan for smackdown 2 on the psx, i think you had to create a ppv, and have steve austin face the undertaker with shawn michaels as the referee for the main event, after 1 minute 50 seconds, hulk hogan was supposedly meant to run down the ramp and attack hbk, from that point on hogan could be used as a playable character, now i tried that many times in my youth, but no matter what i did, hogan would not unlock, this turned out to be a prank, amazingly, it was on many game sites.

Surf's right, there wasn't one. Blood was just a pipe dream for us SNES owners, how I resented the ABACABB fuckers. It's mad how big a deal the blood was. My nephews got a Megadrive with Mortal Kombat that Christmas and the first thing they said on opening it was to phone me for the cheat.

Surf's right, there wasn't one. Blood was just a pipe dream for us SNES owners, how I resented the ABACABB fuckers. It's mad how big a deal the blood was. My nephews got a Megadrive with Mortal Kombat that Christmas and the first thing they said on opening it was to phone me for the cheat.

I prefered the D/U/L/L/A/R/D cheat for MK on the MD.. Much more fun to be had

Though having said that I remember getting MK on release day and being told the cheat as if it was some big secret. like dont tell your ma cos she will skin us or something

• Paid Members

I'd probably never been so excited for a game as a kid as I was for Mortal Kombat. I bought all the magazines reviewing the game leading up and had read all the stuff about it. I even had a nice little official moves and finishers tutorial that I studied constantly.

I waited months for the game. My parents never drove so if it wasn't in Woolworths in town it was unreachable. I remember I had Birthday money and I'd go there most days after school and see it they had it. I'll always remember that feint bit of hope I'd clutch to as the person on the desk would look through the drawer for the cartridge and eventually tell me they had no copies. A friend eventually picked a copy up for me from Toys R Us. One of the greatest days of my childhood that.

The blood cheat came months after then. Playing it without the gore wasn't as fun. The first time I put the cheat in and saw all the red shit flowing everywhere and limbs being severed it was like a crowning achievement.

Being a Mortal Kombat fan was a tough one.

Arrr the mortal kombat hype was great, I sold my game gear to my cousin for 60 quid and my dad took me straight to currys ( I think) to buy MK, I remember my dad making a real big deal of how the games for him not for me, and I remember the buzz around the blood cheat, I think I finally got the code from big boy barrys games world in the end!

Archived